• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU blew.. (confirmed PTU now)

Started by TopherSho, August 28, 2018, 07:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TopherSho

Ok 2 hour soak drive.  Yeah.. its getting more power to the ground.

Did a 3-1 downshift and it tore loose the FR hard enough spin it loose and  to up shift before getting back up to speed.  Seems stronger than before

Now I need a helmet,. I wanna drag this new ptu super super bad.

edit .. stupid phone
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

TopherSho

HMM this morning it is doing the same thing.  need to log it i guess. 

It is like the tranny or PTU just gives up after about 3/4 of the TACH .. it just 'lets go' then only engages the rears.

THERE'S NO TEMP LOGIC IS THERE?  IE CUT POWER WHEN COLD?  that is the closest thing i can describe without a log.

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

AJP turbo

There is temp logic that can cut power and throttle and all sorts of things but I think the front differential is an open type diff so usually there is only 1 dominate wheel. But the front is all mechanical I think so there is no way for it to cause excessive front wheel spin any more than normal. The diff is open and the PTU is gear/chain drive I thought....Are you sure you aren't just blowing off 1 front tire and not getting traction from the rear diff?
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

TopherSho

Quote from: AJP turbo on September 11, 2018, 10:22:45 AM
There is temp logic that can cut power and throttle and all sorts of things but I think the front differential is an open type diff so usually there is only 1 dominate wheel. But the front is all mechanical I think so there is no way for it to cause excessive front wheel spin any more than normal. The diff is open and the PTU is gear/chain drive I thought....Are you sure you aren't just blowing off 1 front tire and not getting traction from the rear diff?

I will get a log to be sure .. but it starts good,  gets about half to 3/4 through the power band,  hops the wheel maybe one or two times then completely disengages the fronts until you stop and power it off and on. 

this morning it did not fully disengage,  but it would not upshift until it hit 4500 rpm in auto mode.

after i log it i will go back to stock and try to reproduce it again,  maybe i just did not try hard enough.   but to me,  as a seat of the pants diagnosis .. it seems to be cutting the power deliberately .. MAYBE when it is cold.   

in my 2 hour drive it was nearly perfect after it was hot.

maybe it is time to just rebuild the tune from scratch ? i do have new turbos, new ptu, new plugs, new boost solenoid...

EDIT: this has happened once before at the track a few years ago.  when i launched it got my foot stuck (boots) on the brake and did not launch until well past the stall limit on the TQ converter.  it was about 3000 rpm.. it hoped the wheel super bad and the fronts stopped working.  i coasted / drove slowly with the rears to the 'pull out' and it would not go back into gear.  power cycled it and it was fine.  this feels EXACTLY like that time.

AJP turbo

Topher the fronts can't be disengaged...Something sounds weird...Bad wheel hop can cause stability control to shut things down.

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

TopherSho

Quote from: AJP turbo on September 11, 2018, 11:19:35 AM
Topher the fronts can't be disengaged...Something sounds weird...Bad wheel hop can cause stability control to shut things down.

hmmm it is the only way i can describe it... the fronts don't pull when it does it.  only the rears push lightly  .. Lamrith i think has had the same thing happen on a bad launch.

there is to much morning traffic so i will have to log it later.  then i am going back to stock.. i cant rip apart another ptu they wont cover it this early on.

TopherSho

ECU SWP firmware is the same as before ..

TopherSho

@AJP .. ok off to log my saddness.  then revert to stock.

TopherSho

Here is the data log   
got in and drove as soon as SCT was logging.  car still had a little temp but it was essentially cold.

drove to my corner,  a 45 mph street,  turned right started on to the road,  then floored it and gimmaced.

it started boosting but it pulled power started thrashing hard. 

once i let off the shifting continued to be 'bad' wont upshift correctly,  wont downshift correctly.  kept locking onto 1st and 2nd gear... because if i have it any gas the rpms would shoot to 4000-5000 rpm and accelerate hard enough to trigger the behavior again .

shut car off for 30 seconds. restarted all good now.  car is hot and idling ... will see if the issue still occurs. or if like last night  now its fine.

for the record.. it is pulling *much harder* than before or it has been broke for so long i did not notice the degradation.  i swear im a 12.4 car now as to what it was when it was 12.6... acceleration is SAVAGE. no tune changes,  just the PTU change.

TopherSho

Still does it hot,  so that is different than last night.   confused now.  back to work ...

TopherSho

Sigh.  And now I borked my SCT tuner .. i hit ok one too many times and it tried to return to stock with the car off.  Now the handheld wont offer the flash to stock option.

I have several exported "get stock file from device" backups so i think i will be ok but man ... super pissed today.  waiting on SCT to get back to me currently ..

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

Quote from: TopherSho on September 11, 2018, 06:04:23 PM
Sigh.  And now I borked my SCT tuner .. i hit ok one too many times and it tried to return to stock with the car off.  Now the handheld wont offer the flash to stock option.

I have several exported "get stock file from device" backups so i think i will be ok but man ... super pissed today.  waiting on SCT to get back to me currently ..

Damn topher I don't know how you manage....when you hit ok you shouldn't be able to do anything with the car off...the device just won't do anything until you turn the ignition on

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

TopherSho

Quote from: AJP turbo on September 11, 2018, 06:56:49 PM
Quote from: TopherSho on September 11, 2018, 06:04:23 PM

Damn topher I don't know how you manage....when you hit ok you shouldn't be able to do anything with the car off...the device just won't do anything until you turn the ignition on

Oh it quite happily did the "downloading firmware part" .. after that it said 'done' and did not attempt a flash back up or in this case back to stock.  then it was .. done :P

For posterity : I put in the 2 bar,  got in and hit 'ok' to go to stock, I hit ok again and was not paying attention as the Ford console screen was on.. but the guages were not lit.  It did the download part and by that point I was afraid of bricking so I let it go,  the car console screen was 'on' but the car was not 'on' .. it finished the 'download/backup' and skipped straight to '"done turn key off'" .. after that return stock was no longer a option.

I think it was in accessory mode is all.

edit : have not heard back from SCT yet,  I will give them a call in about 10 ..

TopherSho