• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU blew.. (confirmed PTU now)

Started by TopherSho, August 28, 2018, 07:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TopherSho

Quote from: TopherSho on September 12, 2018, 10:04:48 PM
Quote from: Macgyver on September 12, 2018, 09:15:27 PM
Since they serviced and flushed etc your Trans.

What is the fluid level at ?

Isnt the recommendation here to slightly over fill these units?

yes ... hmmm by 1/3-1/2 a quart .. hmmmmmmm that might help.   it seems better but i will know more tomorrow when it is dead cold.   i will see about adding fluid tonight ..

Anyone have a preference on tranny fluid for the extra 1/3 to 1/2? keep in mind it will be mixed with the oem generic crap from the dealership.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

TopherSho

Ok, on the way to the store it did it again stone cold.  Will add fluid.. test again tomorrow
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

AJP turbo

Topher few things I also saw. You hit the rev limiter every time on the shifts even though your shift points are lower than stock. When you see torque source 4 in the log that is rev. limit.

When you look at commanded gear is starts at 1 like it should then goes to 2 like it should then back to 1 even thouh you actually get to 3rd gear.

And when you look at vehicle speed it's the most jagged line I have ever seen in a log. It's like it's not commanding the correct gear or there is an electrical or sensor problem

It's odd. I'll attach a screen shot the way I view it.. RPM, commanded gear and vehicle speed.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

TopherSho

This is my last trip to this dealership.  Tranny fluid barely on the stick.

Post video later

TopherSho

Quote from: AJP turbo on September 13, 2018, 01:19:57 AM
Topher few things I also saw. You hit the rev limiter every time on the shifts even though your shift points are lower than stock. When you see torque source 4 in the log that is rev. limit.

When you look at commanded gear is starts at 1 like it should then goes to 2 like it should then back to 1 even thouh you actually get to 3rd gear.

And when you look at vehicle speed it's the most jagged line I have ever seen in a log. It's like it's not commanding the correct gear or there is an electrical or sensor problem

It's odd. I'll attach a screen shot the way I view it.. RPM, commanded gear and vehicle speed.

See and you thought I was crazy :) .. let's see if the @#$_ing quart and a tiny bit more to full stick solves it

AJP turbo

Quote from: TopherSho on September 13, 2018, 01:32:06 AM
Quote from: AJP turbo on September 13, 2018, 01:19:57 AM

See and you thought I was crazy :) .. let's see if the @#$_ing quart and a tiny bit more to full stick solves it

I'm no trans expert but I've had cars with low fluid and they slip terribly and don't catch gear...Topher I fear for your car already...If it's slipping that bad I'm wondering about the clutches too.

The ECU calculates gear sometimes by what's called N/V ratio..I forget what that stands for exactly ...Engine speed over vehicle speed...And it gets used someway but the car won't shift correctly...So if it's slipping engine speed may be out of whack for the vehicle speed and also if the vehicle speed isn't being reported correctly as seen in that pic, then things could be all out of whack.

Spit balling here also.

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

AJP turbo

Here is a screen shot of a WOT pull showing what vehicle speed increase SHOULD look like....You can even see a little spinning on the 1-2 shift....And you see the commanded gear lines increase as they should through the gears.

Topher, your's is jagged like nothing I've seen.

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

TopherSho

ok in total I added 1 quart, and a tiny bit more.. like a 1/8th more.  The ball is now covered right up to but NOT on the cable part as i remember doing it when i initially had the other guys tune. 

I will test it dead cold in the morning .. but i am 99% confident it is now solved.

https://www.facebook.com/topher.mctopherton/videos/10155853283557685/

SHOdded

If the issue persists, you can try logging more trans related pids, that will show shift lag, tc slippage, etc.  Good luck with the testing tomorrow/today!

Might also be looking at a TSS/OSS sensor issue (and MAYBE a TRS issue) now/down the road.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TopherSho

Quote from: SHOdded on September 13, 2018, 05:42:26 AM
If the issue persists, you can try logging more trans related pids, that will show shift lag, tc slippage, etc.  Good luck with the testing tomorrow/today!

Might also be looking at a TSS/OSS sensor issue (and MAYBE a TRS issue) now/down the road.

Will do.

Test went 90% good.  10% suspicious.

From a dead cold start from last night i hard accelerated from a left hand turn to my Dairymart for Diet Mt.Dew, no issue.   When i left i gave it the hard boot again,  no  issue.

at a stop light i power braked it to about 2200 rpm and let go and it ran great but it seemed to skip either at shift or before s*** i honestly could not tell.  that made me suspicious so i did it again on a side road.

it did hiccup around 4000 rpm.. but it was NOTHING like what is has been doing.  i did it a few more times but now it is hot and not doing any of the behaviors.

Next test :
-turn meth onset down (up) a quarter turn, its cold for meth out here now,  remove chances of wet/misting the plug
-from a dead cold sit power brake to 2000 rpm and try again.

Tophs ...

SHOdded

well it is not advised to run "hot" until the trans fluid is "not".  I would try only with the fluid at op temp first.  then go back to cold temp testing.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TopherSho

Quote from: SHOdded on September 13, 2018, 10:13:23 AM
well it is not advised to run "hot" until the trans fluid is "not".  I would try only with the fluid at op temp first.  then go back to cold temp testing.

I'm not braining .. are you saying don't test cold with a hard launch ?

SHOdded

nope.  engine and trans should be up to operating temp before pushing the system, ideally.  weird behavior tends to happen otherwise.  def avoid brake launches until then.

TopherSho

Quote from: SHOdded on September 13, 2018, 10:34:09 AM
nope.  engine and trans should be up to operating temp before pushing the system, ideally.  weird behavior tends to happen otherwise.  def avoid brake launches until then.

/grumble/  never had  to do that before ... /grumble, kicks a can dejectedly down the street/

That being said.  the oil addition helped 1000x .. Eugene Kendal Ford shall hear my wrath today.

Could not diagnose bad plugs
Could not diagnose a bad boost solinoid
Could not diagnose a bad wastegate diaphram
and now cant even READ a dipstick ... and VERY CLEARLY did not test drive it.

SHOdded

well you will definitely shorten powertrain life if you dont wait LOL