• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

LS Swap into 2010 SHO

Started by StealBlueSho, January 20, 2018, 09:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68_GT

if PTU and trans upgrades were available I would have got the ATP turbos and built engine when my stock engine blew up. So I put in a new Ford longblock and EB Performance billet wheels in my stock turbos. I'll put the other money into my 68 Mustang.
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

J-Will

Quote from: 68_GT on January 24, 2018, 07:30:09 PM
if PTU and trans upgrades were available I would have got the ATP turbos and built engine when my stock engine blew up. So I put in a new Ford longblock and EB Performance billet wheels in my stock turbos. I'll put the other money into my 68 Mustang.
That was my point. If LMS was really willing and ready, I think it would have been done. They could capture more engine sales with supporting drivetrain upgrades available.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

SHOdded

The market is just so SMALL compared to mustangs, f150s, corvettes, etc ...  How many people are willing to put money upfront?  That's what it takes for a viable business to make a decision, because at the end of the day, LME is a business.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

So I called LME on Monday... after having a pleasant conversation with Clay it's been crickets. As SHOdded eluded too I don't believe the market is big enough for a group like LME is invest the time even if someone was paying... maybe 1 or 2 sales after that? Probably not enough to recoup the engineering hours...

In any event... NOVA Speed Shop got back to me... they have a couple options they want to discuss... one involves a LS Swap and the other involves swapping out the tranny/PTU/RDU but keeping the 3.5TT power plant...

Gonna stop by Thursday or Friday of this week time permitting to see what their plans are and how much it's going to cost....

68_GT

Quote from: stealbluesho on January 24, 2018, 08:07:02 PM
So I called LME on Monday... after having a pleasant conversation with Clay it's been crickets. As SHOdded eluded too I don't believe the market is big enough for a group like LME is invest the time even if someone was paying... maybe 1 or 2 sales after that? Probably not enough to recoup the engineering hours...

In any event... NOVA Speed Shop got back to me... they have a couple options they want to discuss... one involves a LS Swap and the other involves swapping out the tranny/PTU/RDU but keeping the 3.5TT power plant...

Gonna stop by Thursday or Friday of this week time permitting to see what their plans are and how much it's going to cost....

convert to RWD and use the F150 trans ??
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

SHOdded

I could see a drivetrain swap as being a big step forward, be it RWD, or RWD biased AWD.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

I will update after talking with the group over there... I am very curious myself...

This place from what I understand loves doing custom one off stuff... so we will see...

SilvererSHO

I think tearing out the PTU, driveshaft, rear differential and powering the rear wheels with electric motors would be a way to get an SHO into the 10's.  The car would tip the scales a couple of hundrend lbs. heavier though.  It may sound silly, but it's amazing what some are doing with electric power now.  Or, the F-150 set-up/RWD conversion sounds cool too.  Screw the idea of putting a LS of any incarnation into a SHO. :curse:
All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.

DerricksSho

Quote from: SilvererSHO on January 24, 2018, 11:59:08 PM
I think tearing out the PTU, driveshaft, rear differential and powering the rear wheels with electric motors would be a way to get an SHO into the 10's.  The car would tip the scales a couple of hundrend lbs. heavier though.  It may sound silly, but it's amazing what some are doing with electric power now.  Or, the F-150 set-up/RWD conversion sounds cool too.  Screw the idea of putting a LS of any incarnation into a SHO. :curse:

This would be awesome and would love to hear where to start the research and cost? Probably to deep for my pockets but would be very cool and is where all the super car are heading if not already there.
BrewCityBoost tuned,3 Bar, LMS thermostat
CAI M-Design upgraded stock turbo's
LMS down pipes (Catless) 3" Custom exhaust
H&R springs with spacers 275 40/20 4 corners Power Stop drilled and slotted rotters.... MODS must go on!!

StealBlueSho

Just got back from a really good conversation with NoVA Speed Shop... The LS conversion is out of the picture.. $20K in parts alone and no real good answer on how to mount a rear-end that can handle the power I want. Rough estimate after labor/fab is around $40K-45K. I would also have to have switches for any accessory I wanted to keep.. heated seats etc... since they would need to pull the entire wiring harness and canbus out. So thats a non-starter.. When I spoke to them over the phone I mentioned that it would better to get shell of a taurus IMHO.. they agreed with that today.

As far as the AWD system, they said it would require reverse engineering the 6F55/PTU/RDU setup and working it over. They would need to essentially blow it up, figure out where the weak links are, and rebuild with custom parts. Which could take a year or more to complete and it would require an open ended checkbook. Also there really isn't anything on the market they can swap it with to keep the AWD functionality either domestic or foreign that would be worth the money/time to figure it out either.

He also said it would be feasible and cheaper by far to pick up an F150 3.5TT and convert the SHO to a RWD setup but even then the long pole in the setup is going to be mating the Taurus to a beefy enough rear-end and more importantly, fabricating the back of the Taurus to hold it in given the amount of power I am looking to put down.

Disappointing news but what I expected to hear more or less.  I get the feeling LMS would be a similar conversation.

ShoBoat

Quote from: AJP turbo on January 23, 2018, 12:39:03 AM
Quote from: SHOdded on January 23, 2018, 12:28:26 AM
I love the LS engines, and GM loves them too.

I love engines that have high specific output and the LS's do not and I hate anything that has the word general or generic in it...It's just my code

I don't regret for a second buying my Generic Motors low output LSA powered CTSV. :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

AJP turbo

Quote from: ShoBoat on January 26, 2018, 01:19:43 PM

I love engines that have high specific output and the LS's do not and I hate anything that has the word general or generic in it...It's just my code

I don't regret for a second buying my Generic Motors low output LSA powered CTSV. :p

Eh ho hum ...you had to mention the low volume specialty engine from generic motors which a far cry from your run of the mill LS variant....even in LSA form which has forced induction it doesn't even make 100hp/liter

If it doesn't make 100hp/liter you can keep it especially when boosted its just a failed engineering project

But I'd drive it lol
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

ShoBoat

Quote from: AJP turbo on January 26, 2018, 01:31:59 PM
Quote from: ShoBoat on January 26, 2018, 01:19:43 PM

Eh ho hum ...you had to mention the low volume specialty engine from generic motors which a far cry from your run of the mill LS variant....even in LSA form which has forced induction it doesn't even make 100hp/liter

If it doesn't make 100hp/liter you can keep it especially when boosted its just a failed engineering project

But I'd drive it lol

Exactly, one could also argue that 100hp/l is nothing compared to what Tesla puts out in their EVs. But for the time being I'd rather burn stuff and sound good while doing it. :)

2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

SHOdded

Hey if Mike (EcoPowerParts) likes the V, who am I to argue?  LOL!  Tho his V is beyond ridiculous.

bpd1151

Mike B's V is pretty insane.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk