• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

LS Swap into 2010 SHO

Started by StealBlueSho, January 20, 2018, 09:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

Looks like I lit a fire under everyone's A$$ with my comment about the LS swap... geeze.....

irondoor19

Money to Burn

Livernois Short Block to Start:

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP750100

or the race Series:

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP750101

Way Extra Money to Blow:

Get them to build you ONE: 15 to 18K.....?

2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,

StealBlueSho

Quote from: irondoor19 on January 22, 2018, 02:08:05 PM
Money to Burn

Livernois Short Block to Start:

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP750100

or the race Series:

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP750101

Way Extra Money to Blow:

Get them to build you ONE: 15 to 18K.....?

No point in dropping a built motor if the PTU/Trans/RDU cannot handle the extra power... I just got off the phone with the local speed shop that is interested in the LS Swap... really good conversation. They are familiar with the Ecoboost AWD setups... after talking with him, he is going to work with his engineers to find out if its possible to A: Swap out the existing JTEKT setup with something stronger (yes he already told me it would require a lot of fabrication) or B: If his team is willing to tear down the transmission/ptu/rdu to see what they can do to strengthen the setup which is more or less what LMS mentioned would need to happen.

Agentlongwood

Quote from: 68_GT on January 22, 2018, 11:35:03 AM
Quote from: Agentlongwood on January 21, 2018, 10:10:50 AM

Personally, my 2 cents is this:  Take the money that it would cost to swap, and put it into getting a custom, fully built transmission and PTU for your existing drive train.  Once those parts can handle higher power levels, you can start extracting some real power from the EcoBoost.

even with money as no object
can any of that be done ??

Yup.  LMS is ready and willing to create those exact parts.  All it takes is money, and someone willing to put their car under the knife as a guinea pig.  LMS is not the only speed shop with solutions either.  From reading BPD's posts on that issue it seems like he's looked into it at great length, and found the trans and PTU are really holding back the platform.  You COULD very easily make more power, but you will likely scatter trans parts all over the track.  I REALLY want to see people run big turbos or even single turbo in a SHO.  But nobody is going to do that if the drive train can't handle it.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

SHOdded

Quote from: stealbluesho on January 22, 2018, 12:22:53 PM
Looks like I lit a fire under everyone's A$$ with my comment about the LS swap... geeze.....
Thanks for allowing the community to stand united :P
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

J-Will

Quote from: Agentlongwood on January 22, 2018, 03:39:51 PM

Personally, my 2 cents is this:  Take the money that it would cost to swap, and put it into getting a custom, fully built transmission and PTU for your existing drive train.  Once those parts can handle higher power levels, you can start extracting some real power from the EcoBoost.

Yup.  LMS is ready and willing to create those exact parts.  All it takes is money, and someone willing to put their car under the knife as a guinea pig.  LMS is not the only speed shop with solutions either.  From reading BPD's posts on that issue it seems like he's looked into it at great length, and found the trans and PTU are really holding back the platform.  You COULD very easily make more power, but you will likely scatter trans parts all over the track.  I REALLY want to see people run big turbos or even single turbo in a SHO.  But nobody is going to do that if the drive train can't handle it.

I dont know man; if LMS was really 'ready and willing' then one would have to think they'd sell more $7,500 engines, $2k HPFPs, and $500 oil pumps knowing that the drivetrain is a weak link if they provided those upgrades.
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

StealBlueSho

Quote from: Agentlongwood on January 22, 2018, 03:39:51 PM

I offered up my car to be a guinea pig.. just waiting on a response back... again... the rep I talked to see to think that it had been done before but they were unable to find a good solution... we will see...

bpd1151

I would've known had they did.

Dan and I talk somewhat regularly and he doesn't keep me in the dark.

Cody is probably referencing the couple of guys who did attempt trans upgrades (not LMS fabricated one's) & both of those failed miserably after a short, 2k miles and less.

The same vendor that built the trans in LMS's record setting EB Mustang, is the same vendor Dan was recommending to me at that time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

lamrith

Quote from: stealbluesho on January 21, 2018, 04:15:50 PM
Quote from: AJP turbo on January 21, 2018, 03:36:02 PM
Quote from: derfdog15 on January 21, 2018, 03:23:19 PM
If you want an LS swapped car, just buy a foxbody roller and throw an LS in that. I cant see any reason to throw an LS into a perfectly running SHO, and spend probably half the value of the car to swap to the LS, especially with the amount of mods you've done that would need to be repurposed or go to waste.

In a non SHO model, maybe, but in a SHO, I say no. You want an LS car, go get an SS instead and spare the SHO.

Half the value of the car?....id say it would be double the value of his sho if not more....parts labor and yes there will be fab oh yes there will be fab

I'm with derf....You want an LS I'd get a Pontiac G8 and mod it or an SS and mod that because once you LS swap a SHO you would lose the FWD and you'd essentially have a G8 or SS anyway.

And good luck getting your gauges to work..I know there are companies that make wiring harness' for engine swaps but those are for popular swaps....With the high speed CAN BUS and all the body modules I say good luck with all of that..You'd be finding things that don't work constantly....ANd how about DBW? You'd need a pedal assembly from a DBW LS engine or go cable throttle and if you used a GM ECU the rest of SHO's electronic controls are screwed

There is a Holden badged 2017 SS up the street with only 3K miles on it... I have talked with the dealer a couple times about it. They are WAY over priced on it.. but have come down about $5K... I might pull the trigger on it and scoop up a ProCharger to slap in it... I am calling around dealerships to see who would warranty it if I pay them to install it.. I don't want a car note at $30K+ without a warranty.. and a stock SS is no good... but a force fed one... that could be fun...
Swap in parts form a CTS-V.  Those guys are always upgrading to something bigger and looking to sell the stock parts....

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on January 21, 2018, 08:31:14 PM
Quote from: AJP turbo on January 21, 2018, 08:17:53 PM
Man the LS GM badmouthing is strong and making me feel dirty for partaking lol...I wonder if it's because it's a ford forum lol I guess it's to be expected
I do think an AWD LS powered 9xx abomination would be a helluva lot of fun.
That I will agree with..  wow, just thinking about t...  strap in and hold on!
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

Agentlongwood

Quote from: J-Will on January 22, 2018, 04:06:58 PM
I dont know man; if LMS was really 'ready and willing' then one would have to think they'd sell more $7,500 engines, $2k HPFPs, and $500 oil pumps knowing that the drivetrain is a weak link if they provided those upgrades.

My bad, I meant ready and willing to develop the parts.  As in start the long, painful, and expensive process.  Didn't mean to imply that they already had a built trans ready to sell.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

ShoBoat

Weird, I'm not sure why anyone would want to do stuff a LS into a SHO.... The 3.5TT is what makes the SHO special. I loved my SHO and if it didn't have as many miles on it I wouldn't have traded it in yet. With the numbers that some have on built 3.5TTs there is no point to it. I drive a CTSV now and it is a fun car, but a completely different animal. Lol all the LS hate tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

SHOdded

I love the LS engines, and GM loves them too.  They stuff them into every "performance" version of their vehicles.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

Quote from: SHOdded on January 23, 2018, 12:28:26 AM
I love the LS engines, and GM loves them too.

I love engines that have high specific output and the LS's do not and I hate anything that has the word general or generic in it...It's just my code
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOdded

dubcitySHO

Quote from: AJP turbo on January 23, 2018, 12:39:03 AM
I love engines that have high specific output and the LS's do not and I hate anything that has the word general or generic in it...It's just my code

Preach
2018 Magnetic Metallic F-150 XLT FX4 SCrew, 20% 3M Tint, Currently researching reputable F-150 tuners....