• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Hesitation in boost and high rpm

Started by polskifacet, December 04, 2016, 12:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polskifacet

Same issue as the cold weather KR. Seems like as soon as the temperature gets around 30 and winter blend kicks in, this comes up. Tuned back down to 87 until gas gets better and temp goes up so I don't blow another motor....
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

SHOdded

Knock sensor wires?  That was one of the causes of the false KR, so securing them might help here.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

polskifacet

mine are inspcted and wire loomed. only happens when the above two conditions exist.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

AJP turbo

Have any data logs?

I dont think winter blend is as much of a problem as people think...maybe if you are on the ragged edge but I doubt your lms tune is
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

polskifacet

not setup for any decent logging. I just put the 87 tune i have from lms and it doesn't happen any more. Also see my ltf trims are a good amount higher +13 to +15.

14SHOCAR

Quote from: AJP turbo on December 04, 2016, 12:13:48 PM
Have any data logs?

I dont think winter blend is as much of a problem as people think...maybe if you are on the ragged edge but I doubt your lms tune is

I agree.

Listen -- I've had on and off problems with my LMS tune since I bought it two and a half years ago. I think the tunes are excellent -- when it's warm and you have good traction. I honestly think the problem is one of these things:

#1 bent rims, cold tires, low air, or unbalanced tires setting off the traction control. What does your tire pressure look like? When was the last time you had your tires balanced? How bad was the wobble? Mine was pretty bad.

#2 Steering angle sensor issues - Since I had the car, my car would bust out a C1B00 DTC every once in a while. While I highly DOUBT that this is the case, its still different than a "healthy car". Perhaps its messing with the torque vectoring exposing a bug in the ECU under higher boost / RPM?

#3 The tune. I've had popping / hesitation on summer gas, winter gas, small blend of E85 gas, with octane booster, and with 89 / 91 / 93 octane gas. I had problems with the 91 2bar / 91 3 bar / 93 2 bar and 93 3 bar tunes with this hesitation. Version 8 - whatever it is now.  It's fine while stock, just the tune is amplifying something.

When you think of what's changed -- you have to ask ATPturbo and LMS to be certain, but I think its only torque based and transmission line pressure (shift points too). Something just isn't happy with the car.

I am not bashing LMS. I think they provide excellent customer service. I also think my video blog pissed a few people off and they somewhat gave up on finding the root cause of my vehicle. That's neither here nor there, after I changed my front tires to the back, I've had very little problems with the car; so I'm just blaming it on that..

#4 I know there are a few tuning companies out there that have good results. Sabtaj has the unleashed tune, and he's had none of the problems I've had. Granted he runs different tires, rims, and is doing the whole E85 / meth / crazy tune route. He just showed me a video of him going head to head with a hellcat -- close race too :)

Good luck -- I hope I've helped you.

18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

polskifacet

Has be gas/tune related. I've done a lot of troubleshooting on the last engine and the only thing that fixed it in the winter was buying race gas.

SHOdded

Hmm. Maybe MMO or TC-W3 or another Upper Cylinder Lubricant might work as well, working it from the fueling side.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Have you tried a gas additive such as Torco,RP,Heet(yellow bottle) to the mix to see if it helps any.  Z   http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/max-boost-octane-booster-fuel-stabilizer/

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

AJP turbo

Quote from: polskifacet on December 04, 2016, 04:57:55 PM
Has be gas/tune related. I've done a lot of troubleshooting on the last engine and the only thing that fixed it in the winter was buying race gas.

Really dont want to be blending E ....and if you weren't then its simply the tune, winter blend fuel isnt a problem maybe a problem in the tune is exaggerated in the cold....people want to blame KR on the winter fuel but i can tell you the iat compensations for cold temps are aggressive and maybe add too much spark which will have to be pulled back out as KR
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

polskifacet

Only use Shell 93 so my opinion is also that its a tune issue. Probably not worth it for LMS to fix it for the couple of us having these issues.

SHOdded

Would be interesting to see if people that have implemented the AJP tune/mod are experiencing this also.  I know people running Unleashed tunes do so it's definitely not an LME vs Unleashed type thing.

derfdog15

I haven't done major driving/dogging on my car in the cold, but can say I have noticed no hesitations/stutters/issues with my AJP tune. I noticed no issue on the pump gas tune a while back, and still have no issue running an E20 tune with the mods in my sig.

In fact, the last 5 revisions or so worth of logs I have sent to Brad were with ambient between 30 and 45 degrees F. I see, at most, 2.5 degrees of KR after just refilling the car -if the mix is a bit off- OR after loading a new revisions when the learning is occuring. Once the trims are all set, max KR is 1.5 degrees or so.

2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

14SHOCAR

Quote from: polskifacet on December 04, 2016, 04:57:55 PM

Have you checked your tire pressure lately? Cold weather will lower your tire pressure. I know you know this, but it doesn't HAVE to be the TUNE. I ran my head against the same wall -- ask anyone here -- I'm just trying to save you a headache.

My popping & hesitation, went away with my LMS tune when I moved my bent front rim to the rear. In fact, I didn't even know it was bent or had issues. I didn't feel it in the steering, nor on the car while driving. But put it on the wheel balance and holy hell it shakes.

I'm assuming you have a non-PP -- which I'm finding my non-PP is WAAAAAY more sensitive to wheel slip.  Even when you turn traction control off, it still goes retarded in certain conditions. That feeling of when your wheels are slipping with ETC on and traction control activates, is the same hesitation you're feeling at high RPM.

I've driven my SHO for about 65k on the LMS tune. All I can tell you is from my extensive and exhaustive posts on this issue-- and fighting with LMS... and fighting with other forum members.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

14SHOCAR

14 Taurus SHO (Sold)