• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Modifications and Fuel Mileage roll-call

Started by NorthernLite, March 13, 2018, 11:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthernLite

Hello everyone, new Explorer owner, '17 Sport, bone stock except for floor mats. Currently have 5000 kms on it and getting 15 L/100kms in the city and around 11 L/100kms on the highway doing 120. I'm currently looking to add a Team RX catch can and possibly a Livernois tune. Ultimately this is the wife's daily so more so looking for fuel economy, comfort and reliability than power. She loves the current amount of power it has.

On that note, I want to hear a quick blip about what you've done to your Explorer, how many kilometers/miles on it, and what kinda mileage you're getting. All EcoBoosts welcome!

Thanks guys!

92BlackGT

I have just a 3 bar and Unleashed tune. With the 91 octane tune, mpg was roughly the same as stock on the highway... and sometimes an MPG higher. Now with the new E30 tune, MPGs have appeared to suffer
'14 Taurus SHO - non PP, Unleashed E20 tune, 3 bar - 12.91 @ 106.5 mph
'93 Mustang Coupe - AFR 165's, FTI cam, ported Cobra intake - 13.05 @ 105.6 mph

SHOdded

Welcome to the community, NorthernLife, and congrats on the new X!  Do post an intro for yourself here:
https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/board,14.0.html

The nice thing about tunes is that the engine programming come into play more with heavy throttle than light-medium throttle, coz that is where the fuel trims are richest.  Transmission shifting is improved throughout the range tho, and that to me is really the reason to get a tune.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Agentlongwood

I'm running a 3Bar, 170 tstat, AEM drop in filter, 93 Octane tune from AJP, and Amsoil fluids.  My Fuel economy blows.  I do mostly city/suburban driving, and my car says it's getting 14mpg.  Setting the cruise control to 55mph I can get it up to about 31mpg.  But when doing 75mph it's about 26mpg.  It's got to be drag coefficient, because if I set the adaptive cruise to follow closely behind a semi, I can get 30mpg at 75mph, lol.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

derfdog15

My SHO, on E30, with downpipes, 3 bar, 16psi of boost (from AJP tune), t-stat, axle backs, and hot pipes, driven like it was stolen around town got ~15-17 mpg. Highway I still got 20-22 mpg. I could get closer to 17-20 city, and 24-26 highway, with straight 93, and a slightly turned down tune (tune was turned up because with E30 the car could handle it).
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

FoMoCoSHO

Full E-85, no bolt ons.

AJPTurbo calibration.

14PSI, 29 degrees

12 in the city and a I took a 3 hour highway drive this week and was a hair under 19 with cruise set on 78.

StinkinLinkin13

Glad to see I'm not the only one... With my mods and the latest V11 tune I'm hovering around 13 mpg in the city.  😲 Granted I do enjoy some spirited driving but my 94 Mark VIII literally gets better mileage and I drive it just the same.  Average about 18 mpg with that old DOHC V8...
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

Blackhawk

My MPG is bad tuned and stock, needs a driver mod to get any better.  Damn thing makes me smile every time I smash the throttle.

griggs95

LOL, everyone is responding with SHO's so the new OP is going to be awfully disappointed in his mpg's in the EX. Where your mpg's will shine is on the highway not in the city. You can get decent economy but that will make a boring ride so I wouldn't worry much about it. Tell your wife to just ease into the throttle and DON"T speed up to red lights ;-).

PS - overinflate the tires a couple lbs too.
2011 pp: lms 91 tune - ppe downs w/ kitties - Amsoiled myself all around - gapped 30 sp plugs - enthused driver, nervous passengers - aem drop in dry filter.

SHOdded

Start Stop may "help" mileage, while shortening engine life.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StinkinLinkin13

12.7 mpg... But being able to roast an unsuspecting Maserati Ghibli yesterday somehow makes it OK with me... 😋
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

lamrith

I am running about 18.8 avg.  I will admit though while I get on it a little bit I am not running her hard much as my commute just does not afford the luxury.  Commute is about 70% surface streets at minimum dependingon route.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

SilvererSHO

Wow, I though most everyone would be getting better mileage than me.  I average about 21 MPG racing up and down the freeway at 75+ MPH and running back and forth to my kids schools.  I average 81 miles per day since I've had it. I guess everyone hot rods as much as I do.  I feel I could get 25 MPG easy if I had the patients to drive like a puss for a whole tank.  But, this car replaced a 2012 Jetta TDI so I didn't give two craps about mileage when I bought it in the first place.
All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.

lamrith

Quote from: SilvererSHO on April 28, 2018, 12:16:48 AM
Wow, I though most everyone would be getting better mileage than me.  I average about 21 MPG racing up and down the freeway at 75+ MPH and running back and forth to my kids schools.  I average 81 miles per day since I've had it. I guess everyone hot rods as much as I do.  I feel I could get 25 MPG easy if I had the patients to drive like a puss for a whole tank.  But, this car replaced a 2012 Jetta TDI so I didn't give two craps about mileage when I bought it in the first place.
I have a 20 mile round trip commute, just no time for the car to get up and cruise or relax, heck she usually only reaches full operating temp about half way thru it.  :-p   Some sections are a light every 1/4mile others have a longer stretch but clowns out here I am usually on brakes and then speeding back up all the time, plus climbing in and out of the valley.  I am pretty happy with 18.8avg given my drive.  The car shows mid 20'5 cruising on freeway when I take longer trips.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.