• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Why does this V-6 sound so damn good?

Started by SilvererSHO, December 29, 2017, 12:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilvererSHO

All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.

FearlessAZ

Although it is a V6 like ours, that is about the only similarities. These 2 engines are extremely different. There is so much more that goes in to exhaust sound than just the number of cylinders. Even the difference between an Ecoboost F150 has a completely different sound than a SHO.
2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies. (SOLD)

SHOdded

IDK, the Corsa exhaust on a SHO is pretty mean sounding.  But I still like bpd's custom exhaust the best.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Macgyver

Yup a F150 is vastly different. The Turbos sound meaner too.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on April 24, 2018, 01:30:12 AM
IDK, the Corsa exhaust on a SHO is pretty mean sounding. 
Yeah, like an angry milk truck...

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

I dunno... I am torn on the Corsa.... I need to hear one in person...

My borla sounded great from outside... rumbled quite a bit... inside was drone central...

Our ecoboost is not very scary sounding in general...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHOdded

I had the opportunity to listen to Z's SHO in person, and I can tell you it sounds very good.  Had been stoked since I heard SwampRat's videos.  But it IS a subjective experience.

lamrith

Quote from: BJSHO on April 25, 2018, 08:10:24 AM
I dunno... I am torn on the Corsa.... I need to hear one in person...

My borla sounded great from outside... rumbled quite a bit... inside was drone central...

Our ecoboost is not very scary sounding in general...

And for what it is, and my DD I am fine with that.  Wolf in cows clothing for sure. (just tooo big for sheep's clothing).  Always fun to see the look on peoples faces when they think they can jump a light to cut you off as a lane ends and they get nothing but tail-lights to look at.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

griggs95

I've never looked into the firing order of the sho, is it different than the F-150? It could explain the difference in the sound of the exhaust.

I've never known what to do about the exhaust since I like it quiet but then when I get on it here and there it's hard to keep track of gears/rpm's when I use the paddle shifters. I also like to use the the paddles in traffic to avoid constant shifting to save the tranny and torque converter. So when i have the music up, I have to keep looking at the tach to know when to shift lol; oh well.

Lets face it though, since the sho was introduced, it has always maintained sleeper status and that is what mine is. I think it's hard to be in-between in this car. Either low key mods or an all out BDP assault street sweeper.
2011 pp: lms 91 tune - ppe downs w/ kitties - Amsoiled myself all around - gapped 30 sp plugs - enthused driver, nervous passengers - aem drop in dry filter.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: griggs95 on April 25, 2018, 12:56:37 PM
I've never looked into the firing order of the sho, is it different than the F-150? It could explain the difference in the sound of the exhaust.

I've never known what to do about the exhaust since I like it quiet but then when I get on it here and there it's hard to keep track of gears/rpm's when I use the paddle shifters. I also like to use the the paddles in traffic to avoid constant shifting to save the tranny and torque converter. So when i have the music up, I have to keep looking at the tach to know when to shift lol; oh well.

Lets face it though, since the sho was introduced, it has always maintained sleeper status and that is what mine is. I think it's hard to be in-between in this car. Either low key mods or an all out BDP assault street sweeper.

100% agree with the sleeper element. Same reason I am reluctant to change the stock exhaust.

lamrith

I went with the Dynomax Axleback.  It was just enough to improve the tone without getting loud or raspy or causing drone.  I know something is there inside the car, but on the road cruising other car's road noise cancels it out unless I am "on it".
My last car had a V8 and aftermarket exh and it droned on freeway, I miss it's bark, but not the constant growl.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

SilvererSHO

Quote from: griggs95 on April 25, 2018, 12:56:37 PM

I've mentioned here a few times that I think it may be due to the unequal length down pipes that feed into the single exhaust.  It would be interesting to see what it sounded like if you added a loop of pipe to add length to the shortest one and make them the same length.  Are the F-150's down pipes the same length before they feed into single exhaust?  I read an interesting article a few years back that talked about how different a straight six sounds depending upon where the exhaust outlet is located on the manifold.
All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.