• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Hesitation in boost and high rpm

Started by polskifacet, December 04, 2016, 12:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polskifacet

I am familiar with it acting weird with traction issues but I know that is not the issue here. Happens on both sets of wheels which I just swapped for my winter set. Happens at 30 mph but more noticeable at higher speeds as the gear holds longer around the top of the rpm range, it feels like it just looses power in a series of spots. It is usually intermittent and will happen once then not repeat itself until I am not trying to reproduce it. I also have high KR (6) right now but not when in boost usually between 0 and 5 points of vacuum. It ran fine until I noticed LOR started dropping, at (-5) now and as I have said, close to freezing temperatures. Non such issues occur on the 87 3bar tune I have from LMS. I also haven't gained the courage to run the 93 octane tune so this was happening on the 91 octane tune while running Shell Nitro+ 93.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

SHOdded

Shouldn't happen on the 91 tune for sure with Nitro.  Any possibility this is bad fuel, or has this happened over multiple tanks?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

DerricksSho

ive wrote a post about this as well feels like my car is miss only at WOT. Ive spent quite a bit on replacing things thinking it was mechanical because that is what LMS said. A lot happen in a week I tried some VP racing fuel, weather got cold and had a custom exhaust done. car ran decent when it was warm. iit Had middle section of exhaust done just not the axle back.
BrewCityBoost tuned,3 Bar, LMS thermostat
CAI M-Design upgraded stock turbo's
LMS down pipes (Catless) 3" Custom exhaust
H&R springs with spacers 275 40/20 4 corners Power Stop drilled and slotted rotters.... MODS must go on!!

ZSHO

Quote from: 14SHOCAR on December 04, 2016, 10:05:06 PM
Articles that I've posted here about this exact issue:

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,5747.0.html (this one got a little out of control -- Livernois piped in and it got a little ugly lol)

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,5834.msg91980.html#msg91980

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6688.msg103612.html#msg103612
I think you clearly made your point on your above mentioned post and quite frankly don't see the need to bring up these past discussions unless you truly enjoy stirring the pot. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

polskifacet

I think you clearly made your point on your above mentioned post and quite frankly don't see the need to bring up these past discussions unless you truly enjoy stirring the pot. Z

No pot stirring, I just wish I had this info to read a year ago when I first noticed. I understand that a box tune is never perfect but I also would like to know that this is happening to more than 1 car so I can just run an 87 tune until spring without loosing my mind that my car is F'ed up lol.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

ZSHO

Have you tried contacting LME about the issues your having?  IMHO they have always done the right thing by me from A-Z and you certainly can request a custom tune to adjust some parameters in respect to your tune and add some tweaks to the base Cal and best of luck to ya. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

polskifacet

I did around the beginning of the year and then they released v10. I may contact them but want to give them as much info as possible as it seems they have widdled it down but there are still a handful of people who have some funkyness.

Livernois Motorsports

I am very sorry to hear of this.  Please shoot us an email or give us a call so we can look into this further for you and anyone else that is having trouble with their tunes as well for that matter.   If the LOR has dropped noticeably and the kr has increased, I would definitely try getting fuel from another station and possibly try throwing in a few gallons of higher octane fuel as another member on here mentioned if available, to see if the issues have been alleviated.  I also wanted to mention that it's worth trying a different fuel station for guys that have suddenly developed an issue that was not there when the initially loaded their tune.  We've had experiences with sub par fuel even from the top tier or best stations in town, this time of year especially.  I can honestly tell you that the no name station on the busiest corner of town always has the best gas in our area.  They have lower prices than most and are in a great location, so it's that station that always has a line to get to the pumps during rush hour everyday.  We have been using this station to get 93 pump gas for cars on the dyno here and have never had issues with a single fill. 

What some people don't take into account is that those top tier / big name stations typically cost more and therefore do not have as many people filling up with premium there.  So their gas may be sitting in the ground longer than the brand X station down the street that has fresh fuel coming in twice as often due to volume.  So if you have always been using the same station and notice your vehicle's performance suddenly taking a change for the worse, by process of elimination that would be the 1st thing to try if you haven't already. 

Don't get me wrong, I"m not blaming the fuel or the station for the issues that the vehicle has started experiencing , just wanted to share the experience that I have seen over the years with different fuel stations and winter weather as well.  Also keep in mind that in years passed we had released cold weather specific tunes when needed, but the version 10 tunes did not have cold weather issues reported last winter after it's release in the fall of 2015.  We can however make adjustments to the tuning if needed to offset what ever issues the cold weather has brought to the table.  We just need to know about the issues or we cannot do anything to help.

AJP turbo

Do you believe that the fuel stations are lying about the octane rating on the pump when winter fuel is in use?...I don't
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

polskifacet

Quote from: AJP turbo on December 05, 2016, 12:10:25 PM
Do you believe that the fuel stations are lying about the octane rating on the pump when winter fuel is in use?...I don't

I do believe that in Chicago a lot more sh*t gets through just because of sheer volume, the station I use is the best I can get, it was recently built so it has new tanks, I have tried others and get worse LOR and the same result. I also believe that the tune can be massaged to account for this. I don't know what to do, without pro logging, I don't like throwing "my sh*t don't work, fix it" at LMS. Would be neat if there was a obd logger they could send out with an sdcard and have actual data to look at.

derfdog15

Quote from: polskifacet on December 05, 2016, 12:35:59 PM

I do believe that in Chicago a lot more sh*t gets through just because of sheer volume, the station I use is the best I can get, it was recently built so it has new tanks, I have tried others and get worse LOR and the same result. I also believe that the tune can be massaged to account for this. I don't know what to do, without pro logging, I don't like throwing "my sh*t don't work, fix it" at LMS. Would be neat if there was a obd logger they could send out with an sdcard and have actual data to look at.

You mean like an SCT X4?

Only somewhat joking here...

If you need the ability to log, I would suggest finding a used SCT X4 (as it is much simpler to log with than an X3) and keeping that with you. As long as it is unlocked, and possibly even if locked, it will be able to datalog the car. The X4 also has the gauges on the datalog screen which is nice. Once the logs are saved you can look over them on your own laptop as well as send them to LME (not sure if they use them or not, as I have not had them tune, and I know they use their own proprietary tuner).

You can always use the SCT to get custom tunes/change canned tune parameters (tire size, gear ratio, etc.) on another ford in the stable as well.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

Livernois Motorsports

Not saying the fuel stations are lying or selling garbage fuel occasionally on purpose , no.  But some stations have water / condensation in their fuel occasionally which can cause a lot of trouble even in bone stock vehicles.  This is why I keep a bottle of Heet water remover / fuel line antifreeze in my Car, truck , and snowmobiles all winter long.  They wouldn't sell the stuff if fuel stations never had moisture of some sort water in their fuel on occasions.  Not sure if you have ever had a fuel line freeze or water in your fuel, but it happens here in Michigan, especially in rural parts up north when traveling or snowmobiling more often than some would think.  Most all avid winter motorsports / powersports enthusiasts would agree, keeping water remover / gas line antifreeze or something equivalent handy is pretty much standard.  So using a busy station usually means their fuel has had less time to sit in the ground and collect moisture.

ZSHO

I all fairness LME was kind enough to chime in and offer there support to the OP and he should contact them for a viable solution and we should all respect that,until then we need to move on and dont want to see this topic steer off course,the same rule applies to any such tuning co/vendor on this forum.  Z

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on December 05, 2016, 12:49:28 PM

Not saying the fuel stations are lying or selling garbage fuel occasionally on purpose , no.  But some stations have water / condensation in their fuel occasionally which can cause a lot of trouble even in bone stock vehicles.  This is why I keep a bottle of Heet water remover / fuel line antifreeze in my Car, truck , and snowmobiles all winter long.  They wouldn't sell the stuff if fuel stations never had moisture of some sort water in their fuel on occasions.  Not sure if you have ever had a fuel line freeze or water in your fuel, but it happens here in Michigan, especially in rural parts up north when traveling or snowmobiling more often than some would think.  Most all avid winter motorsports / powersports enthusiasts would agree, keeping water remover / gas line antifreeze or something equivalent handy is pretty much standard.  So using a busy station usually means their fuel has had less time to sit in the ground and collect moisture.
Not to mention sometimes drivers mix up the grades when filling the underground tanks.

I've also heard tales of unscrupulous owners paying off drivers to do so.

If this is normal, I would email the company, not the station, and let them know what is going on.

You can run 2 bottles of HEET and since it's straight meth its also an octane booster. If it isn't fuel quality related
it could actually add to your woe as meth has a very low stoich point (6ish) and will add to a fuel demand issue. 

14SHOCAR

*cough* It's not the fuel *cough*

I do appreciate LMS and how they are attentive to the forums. Like I said, they have GREAT customer service.
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust