• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

OEM Sony System: Your Review

Started by SRT82ECOBOOST, October 11, 2013, 11:17:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRT82ECOBOOST

I am trying to get a feel for how good or bad the OEM Sony system is in the SHO. Please weigh in with a quick review on how your experience has been with the system.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

ONLYA6

It's not very good in my opinion. The bass sucks, that's my biggest complaint. I know it doesn't have a dedicated sub but with bass set mid way and the volume turned up it doesn't hit very hard and on certain songs it is distorted. Seems like every car I've been in with an optional high end factory system has been better. Heck, the Audiophile system in my 2002 SVT Focus was probably better than the Sony. It even had a dedicated subwoofer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Steven

2013 Taurus SHO - Best ET 12.7/ MPH 110
1999 Mustang V6 - Turbo - 474 whp 431 wtq

TSS

I have found the THXII Sony in the MKS to be superior.  It is not insanely loud, but it is loud enough for me and more importantly to me, it is crystal clear right up to its maximum.  I am more about clarity than distorted insanely loud sound. 
2010 Steel Blue Metallic MKS Ecoboost: LME 3-Bar Tuned; tint; 20" Factory rims Permachromed

2017 Summit White Buick Envision Premium AWD 2.0 Turbo
2017 Silver Cadillac XTS V-Sport Platinum  3.6 Twin Turbo; LME tuned.

yowen

Something I've been wondering lately, what would you guys consider the best bang for your buck upgrade for this system? Some upgraded front speakers perhaps? (that's what I've been considering). I am happy with the bass, but I'd like more overall clarity.
2010 Taurus SHO, Tuxedo Black
Awaiting Installation: Catless Downpipes, LMS Tune, 3Bar Map Sensor

jcl78

You know, I actually think it does really well for a stock system. Make sure you switch the "Surround Sound" setting to "Stereo" in the settings menu though, it sounds like crap with the surround setting.

FracaSHO

I don't know why people rag on the Sony System, and Sync for that matter. Here's my take on both. Keep in mind this is coming from a guy who had really good stereo systems in my T-Bird and F-150, and a sick stereo system in my Mustang, not to mention my life revolves around my Apple products:

Stereo is really good, FOR A STOCK STSTEM. Could use a little more bass in higher volume, but clear, and louder than most. To upgrade just amps and subs would've cost me almost $3K. If you do the install yourself, cheaper, but top of the line stuff is not cheap. So I am happy enough with my stereo that I'll save that money and put it towards making my SHO faster than rice burners that are half the weight.

Sync is also really good, FOR A MICROSOFT PRODUCT. One of my main needs is using my iPod, or iPhone to play music. Connecting through the headphone jack sounds like crap. But the USB port, or even Bluetooth streaming, it sound just as good as CD's. And staying hands free while on the phone and the steering wheel controls makes it a whole much better experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Brad
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO w/ PP

SRT82ECOBOOST

If you were to relieve the bass from the Sony system and run a small subwoofer, do you think it would take away most of the complaints about the system?
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged

FracaSHO

Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on October 11, 2013, 02:01:56 PM
If you were to relieve the bass from the Sony system and run a small subwoofer, do you think it would take away most of the complaints about the system?

I would imagine so. I think most peoples issue with the stock system is fairly uniform bass from all speakers. Sure, the speaker in the deck is mostly if not all bass, but it comes through the door speakers as well. So the bass can't hit too hard, otherwise the speakers would blow or sound distorted. I was gonna get rid of stock amps, and run alpines new 6 channel amp, 2 for the subs, 4 for the doors. And then go with their W7 sub. That would have sounded good, but rattles would have popped like they always do, and I would have ended up with 2 packs of dynomat. Personally I need to choose between sound and performance. For the first time in my life I feel like sound is "good enough" as is and I'm gonna try to make my SHO faster than my Mustang was. Probably get close, but not faster.

Brad
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO w/ PP

SRT82ECOBOOST

Are the deck speakers true subwoofers or are they full range speakers?

BigPelo

Quote from: FracaSHO on October 11, 2013, 01:51:45 PM

Stereo is really good, FOR A STOCK STSTEM. Could use a little more bass in higher volume, but clear, and louder than most. To upgrade just amps and subs would've cost me almost $3K. If you do the install yourself, cheaper, but top of the line stuff is not cheap. So I am happy enough with my stereo that I'll save that money and put it towards making my SHO faster than rice burners that are half the weight.

Sync is also really good, FOR A MICROSOFT PRODUCT. One of my main needs is using my iPod, or iPhone to play music. Connecting through the headphone jack sounds like crap. But the USB port, or even Bluetooth streaming, it sound just as good as CD's. And staying hands free while on the phone and the steering wheel controls makes it a whole much better experience.

I second that ^^
Week-end family transporter: 2013 SHO tuxedo black, performance package, unleashed custom 94 octane tune, K&N Typhoon intake, 170F thermostat, 3 bar MAP sensor, SP534 spark plugs, 5000K HID Morimoto mini D2S projectors retrofit, tinted windows, Full LED lighting in and out, Eibach springs
Daily beater: 2002 WRX wagon swap JDM STi v7 20G'd

mjhpadi

I think the Sony system sounds pretty good for a stock system...I'm not a fan of overpowering bass, I enjoy more of the mid-range and treble, I normally reduce the bass with the graphic equalizer.  My only real complaint of the system is that the surround sound mode is terrible, it really reduces the sound quality of the entire system, but since I normally only listen to music, I just have it set to stereo and I'm fine with it.  I think the sound quality is good enough that I would never consider replacing it with an aftermarket, there are too many other mods I want to do before that, and the sound is good enough for my ears. 
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

EcoPowerParts

Guess I'm lucky to have the Flex with the dedicated sub because the 2011 Sony system is good enough I'd really have to be done with a ton of other mods before I thought about swapping it out.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

mjhpadi

Yeah, I have never really considered changing the system, I enjoy good sound and I think the system sounds good when I have it cranked up or at normal levels.  I think it is fine, and that I won't see a large improvement in sound, at least not enough to justify swapping it out and going to all the expense and work to do it.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

Lanson

Not sure if you want to go down the rabbit hole here, but to me the biggest problem was the processing.  So, that's my "bang for buck" approach.  The speakers are actually quite good.  Second to the processing, deadening and sealing up the doors is critical to get good sound.  Third, yes, add some bass. 

I used this logic in my 2010 Flex (with Sony system) to great effect.  My 2013 received most of the same treatment, but the path was slightly different since the Sony and non Sony setups are different themselves.

Once I connected the Sony stuff to my MS8 processor and tuned it, I was quite pleased even with the stock speakers, on meager ~20W chipamp MS8 power.  After I deadened the doors I was even more pleased, and the stock speakers were basically "good enough" for a long time.  Then I added extra amp power to the front doors and center which helped further, as did doing an amp and sub setup in the spare tire well.  Eventually I went and installed new 5x7 components (Bravox in the 2010) and the system was pretty much complete up to the point I ripped it all out to put in my 2013.   

So, yeah, processing.
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

mbehna

I will only say that the Mach 460 system from my '01 Mustang is superior to the Sony in all respects!

It is cripser, louder and does not distort at loud volume and the DSP actually worked unlike the "surround" on the Sony. I find it to be the biggest and only disappointment on my SHO. grrrrr.....
2014 SHO
2001 Mustang GT