• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

OEM Sony System: Your Review

Started by SRT82ECOBOOST, October 11, 2013, 11:17:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elund126

Quote from: mbehna on October 11, 2013, 03:53:51 PM
I will only say that the Mach 460 system from my '01 Mustang is superior to the Sony in all respects!

It is cripser, louder and does not distort at loud volume and the DSP actually worked unlike the "surround" on the Sony. I find it to be the biggest and only disappointment on my SHO. grrrrr.....

I sat and thought about this comment and I respectfully disagree. I had an '03 Mustang GT with the Mach 460 and I think the Sony system in my '10 SHO is far superior.

Just my opinion though.
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO
Windows Tinted, SP-534, 3-bar, Unleashed Tuning

BlueSHO

Well my opinion for what's it's worth is...I have had a 96 Cobra since new with the mach 460, I have a 12 SHO and a 13 Sport both with Sony and the Sport sounds the best..

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

FoMoCoSHO

The sony system has way too much midrange built in. Dial it back all the way, adjust treble and bass then bring up the mid a couple notches. Your low end bass response will be much better.

yowen

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on October 14, 2013, 12:47:32 AM
The sony system has way too much midrange built in. Dial it back all the way, adjust treble and bass then bring up the mid a couple notches. Your low end bass response will be much better.

I would play with the mids if I could... But the '10 - '12 only allows bass and treble adjustments >_<
2010 Taurus SHO, Tuxedo Black
Awaiting Installation: Catless Downpipes, LMS Tune, 3Bar Map Sensor

Lanson

Quote from: yowen on October 15, 2013, 11:26:42 AM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on October 14, 2013, 12:47:32 AM

I would play with the mids if I could... But the '10 - '12 only allows bass and treble adjustments >_<

Then the exact same solution would be to boost those, leaving the midrange to fall behind.

I reiterate though, I believe the system's biggest faults lie in the processing.  I equate it to the difference between pro-logic (1st gen), and Dolby Digital / DTS type of technology. 
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

mval

kOLK1  who is a car stereo expert upgraded both his & mine w/500 watt amp & a couple 10" subs & it made a big difference in sound & I don't wake up the neighborhood when I go by, just nice deep bass
'10 lme 4+93, 160t, 3 bar, w/cust headrest & evo gauge pod,md design cai, ppe dpes, borla cback , vertini 20" cust wheels w/conti dws, ebc slotted rotors w/red pads & mgp caliper covers, viper remote start, cust dipped eng cover,fascia, cai & lids,decals, custom bra, black wrapped spoiler
2017 chally scat pack shaker yellow jacket dd, so sho can be a show queen

SRT82ECOBOOST

I find it very strange that a bluetooth connected device sounds marginally better than Sirius.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

TSS

My BT with Pandora One (upgraded streaming) sounds far more than marginally better than Sirius.  Far better.  Admittedly, that is with the THX II system, but I imagine it would not be any different for the SHO system.  It surprised me too.
2010 Steel Blue Metallic MKS Ecoboost: LME 3-Bar Tuned; tint; 20" Factory rims Permachromed

2017 Summit White Buick Envision Premium AWD 2.0 Turbo
2017 Silver Cadillac XTS V-Sport Platinum  3.6 Twin Turbo; LME tuned.

bigmoneycloser

My stereo guy, said that the processor is the biggest problem with the sony systems.
I have the XSport with upgraded 12 speaker sony  set up.  We have a plan for this winter or spring to replace, the processor all 12 speakers with all JL audio including a 6 channel JL amp to power everything and JL sub with dyna mat in doors and sub Enclosure. Everything will be in factory spots and nothing including amp will be visible.
Parts and labor $3k. Stereo will be perfect. Loud clear and no rattle.
I could get away with not replacing everything and using some of the stock speakers to save some $$...
But I figure.. Go Hard or go home.. Lol
With all that said, the stock system, is the best I've heard from any factory system...my Lexus had the mark levinson and that wasn't even close to this...
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

TouchOfEvil

Quote from: bigmoneycloser on November 03, 2013, 08:30:26 AM
My stereo guy, said that the processor is the biggest problem with the sony systems.
I have the XSport with upgraded 12 speaker sony  set up.  We have a plan for this winter or spring to replace, the processor all 12 speakers with all JL audio including a 6 channel JL amp to power everything and JL sub with dyna mat in doors and sub Enclosure. Everything will be in factory spots and nothing including amp will be visible.
Parts and labor $3k. Stereo will be perfect. Loud clear and no rattle.
I could get away with not replacing everything and using some of the stock speakers to save some $$...
But I figure.. Go Hard or go home.. Lol
With all that said, the stock system, is the best I've heard from any factory system...my Lexus had the mark levinson and that wasn't even close to this...

So you are going to replace all the speakers with JL's? Will the sub still be a 8 or does your guy think he can get a 10 in there?
2014 XSport

bigmoneycloser

Yes all JL.
And he thinks we can get a 10 in there..
But we will wait and see once we tear it all down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

bigmoneycloser

The sound upgrade is last on my list. Only because, the stock set up really isn't bad at all...
I wonder if anyone would buy the sony speakers??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Explorer Sport 401A

TouchOfEvil

3k is not bad for that many parts plus labor. My local shops are not so awesome so i tend to not bother with them most of the time. I certainly want to upgrade the sub at some point though.
Let us know if they get a 10 in there.
2014 XSport

Lanson

I know for a fact I could get nowhere close to 3k to do what I've done, so I'm eager to see the results. 

I'm an anti-JL guy (but no disrespect to those that use them, they aren't "bad" by any stretch), mainly because they do not offer proper processing.  When the JL Cleansweep came out, I was impressed but quickly depressed by it.  Impressed by the hype, depressed by the actual function.  Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but the Cleansweep does NOT output a center or surround channel.  Just stereo front and rear.  In my professional opinion, this is a huge step backwards from the stock system.

You know, what I want is something like a JBL MS8 but with twice the channels or close.  Processing IS the biggest hurdle to overcome, on this we agree and I've been on that soapbox since back in 2010 when I bought my first Flex, that processing is the largest issue on these cars.  It just isn't getting it done, despite being a "surround" system.  However, once you choose what channels you are going to process and what you are going to leave out, the system can start coming together. 

You can't use two MS8's strapped together, but there are some good processors out there than can be implemented.  With the advent of tiny chip-amps (for use with the low output speakers like the center and rears), you can make it work pretty well these days.
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

bigmoneycloser

Quote from: Lanson on November 03, 2013, 01:11:52 PM
I know for a fact I could get nowhere close to 3k to do what I've done, so I'm eager to see the results. 

I'm an anti-JL guy (but no disrespect to those that use them, they aren't "bad" by any stretch), mainly because they do not offer proper processing.  When the JL Cleansweep came out, I was impressed but quickly depressed by it.  Impressed by the hype, depressed by the actual function.  Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but the Cleansweep does NOT output a center or surround channel.  Just stereo front and rear.  In my professional opinion, this is a huge step backwards from the stock system.

You know, what I want is something like a JBL MS8 but with twice the channels or close.  Processing IS the biggest hurdle to overcome, on this we agree and I've been on that soapbox since back in 2010 when I bought my first Flex, that processing is the largest issue on these cars.  It just isn't getting it done, despite being a "surround" system.  However, once you choose what channels you are going to process and what you are going to leave out, the system can start coming together. 

You can't use two MS8's strapped together, but there are some good processors out there than can be implemented.  With the advent of tiny chip-amps (for use with the low output speakers like the center and rears), you can make it work pretty well these days.
I don't know all the tech stuff, so I put faith in my guy at the shop.
He knows what my expectations are and most times I am getting parts for close to cost and labor very reasonable because I spend money and send referrals..
With that said, it's the speakers and amp that will be JL, I'm not sure what processor or processors he will use.
I will run an entire parts list with part numbers once I commit and post a video as best I can when it's done..

Stereo likely in jan/feb. I just committed to front and rear TCE big brake kit and new 22x10.5 Vossen CVT's..

So I got to get that out of the way first.
2014 Explorer Sport 401A