• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

OEM Sony System: Your Review

Started by SRT82ECOBOOST, October 11, 2013, 11:17:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHODYOU

Damn that's gonna look good... I'm jelly lol
2011 SHO - Tux Blk/blk int, 402B, acc, nav, multicontour, 20s. LMS 4X MyCal, 3bar MAP, K&N Typhoon, 170* t-stat, SP534's @ 30, Stainless Works catless DPs, Corsa catback, H&R sports, 5/16 front-7/16 rear spacer, 255/35 Hankook V12s, Lamin-X/PlastiDip

2004 Mustang GT - Comp Orange, Boss block/3.80 stroker 327", Foxlake TFS', Hellion turbo, blah blah

Lanson

Quote from: bigmoneycloser on November 03, 2013, 05:03:07 PM

Quote from: Lanson on November 03, 2013, 01:11:52 PM
I know for a fact I could get nowhere close to 3k to do what I've done, so I'm eager to see the results. 

I'm an anti-JL guy (but no disrespect to those that use them, they aren't "bad" by any stretch), mainly because they do not offer proper processing.  When the JL Cleansweep came out, I was impressed but quickly depressed by it.  Impressed by the hype, depressed by the actual function.  Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but the Cleansweep does NOT output a center or surround channel.  Just stereo front and rear.  In my professional opinion, this is a huge step backwards from the stock system.

You know, what I want is something like a JBL MS8 but with twice the channels or close.  Processing IS the biggest hurdle to overcome, on this we agree and I've been on that soapbox since back in 2010 when I bought my first Flex, that processing is the largest issue on these cars.  It just isn't getting it done, despite being a "surround" system.  However, once you choose what channels you are going to process and what you are going to leave out, the system can start coming together. 

You can't use two MS8's strapped together, but there are some good processors out there than can be implemented.  With the advent of tiny chip-amps (for use with the low output speakers like the center and rears), you can make it work pretty well these days.
I don't know all the tech stuff, so I put faith in my guy at the shop.
He knows what my expectations are and most times I am getting parts for close to cost and labor very reasonable because I spend money and send referrals..
With that said, it's the speakers and amp that will be JL, I'm not sure what processor or processors he will use.
I will run an entire parts list with part numbers once I commit and post a video as best I can when it's done..

Stereo likely in jan/feb. I just committed to front and rear TCE big brake kit and new 22x10.5 Vossen CVT's..

So I got to get that out of the way first.

Cool, can't wait to see your updates on this one then.  Still Jelly on those wheels btw.
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

SRT82ECOBOOST

I gone at setting the EQ numerous times on the OEM system and lets just saythe quality sound is just not there. The last time I approached aftermarket car audio I went all in and after I sold the vehicle I swore I would never do it again. I think I am going have to travel down this road again. So how does this sound for a staged approach:
Stage 1: Add processor and 3 channel amplifier @ $750
      -I chose a 3 channel amplifier as I am only looking to add power to the front soundstage and don't feel I need rear fill    with the same power
      -Leave the OEM speakers in place
Stage 2: Add subwoofer( either box or use spare tire area) @ $300
      -This will utilize the extra channel of amplification on the 3 channel amplifier
Stage 3: Replace front speakers with a quality component set @ $300
      -Also apply ample amounts of sound deadening material
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

Josephm

I believe lanson did what you talking about. As in powering the rear speakers off the stock processor and running your front stage off the (AFTER MARKET) processor, and he experience a timing issue.

I would personally start by just powering the stock speakers off the amp(If you dont have a front stage laying around), and sound dead the doors and see how that sounds before you spend a couple hundred on a front stage.

I have a Rockford Fosgate 360.2, Alpine V12 4 Channel, and ID 6.5xs component set waiting to go in.
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

Lanson

Joseph I know we chatted about it, but it bears repeating... see if you can ditch that 3sixty.2 and get a "real" processor.  The logic algorithm and the noise floor are going to be WORSE than stock. 

SRT, yes that's pretty much how I approached my first Flex's build, in stages like that.  But since I used the MS8, its built-in 8ch's of amp power allowed me the power I needed for quite some time, until I plopped more money on amps.  I would highly recommend the same given the rear fill and such can still be great, but only if actually processed to the point of being rear fill, not just more sound from more speakers.  In the case of Logic7 processing per JBL's design, it works well.  The out of phase info is shifted to the rear speakers, so it is true fill.  Makes echos, reverb, etc all come from the rear primarily, which adds to the ambience without diffusing the front stage.  Just like home theater.

It is ALL in the processing, and always has been. 
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

SRT82ECOBOOST

There is a distinct possibility that I might not even run rear speakers. I really like the sound of 2 channel stereo when in my car and especially at home. Too many point sources for sound just muddies the image. I am hoping I can find a good processor without amplication as I will probably want to run more than the 20 watts/ channel that the MS8 offers. Anyone have any good suggestions?
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

Josephm

There are horror stories on the 360.2 and there are sucoess stories. So read into the processor before you buy. Processors are really sensitive to 'ground noise'
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

Lanson

Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on November 08, 2013, 11:39:51 AM
There is a distinct possibility that I might not even run rear speakers. I really like the sound of 2 channel stereo when in my car and especially at home. Too many point sources for sound just muddies the image. I am hoping I can find a good processor without amplication as I will probably want to run more than the 20 watts/ channel that the MS8 offers. Anyone have any good suggestions?

Your point is valid but I want to remind you that, with processing there will not be a muddying effect with more speakers.  This is because the processor is going to time-align and properly cross each speaker to work as one unified field of sound (the soundstage or "image" as we come to know it), and in the case of the MS8 it does so with stereo microphones where your ears will be.  Literally you put on "earphones" which actually have calibrated mics, and during the calibration process each speaker is measured and calculated.  The result, is what feels like nothing more than a unified field from the perspective of the listener (you).

IF you have only two channels of audio (and I used to be in this boat 100%, especially in home audio 2ch rooms I built for others), then those two point-sources need to be equidistant from you.  This is not practical in most cars, unless you begin to talk about kickpanel installs, custom fiberglass pods, etc etc.  In the factory locations, the difference in pathlengths will not be easy to overcome, so that's why the sound field concept of using multiple speakers properly processed (in this case we're using here with the MS8, that is Logic7.) 

Other processors that lack amp power would be the Alpine, Helix, Audison, and NEW Rockford offerings.

I feel you on all your points, but consider I too have been there.  Once I saw the Flex had a center channel, I decided to take a chance on the MS8 and bought one from an audio forum member I knew, locally.  Up to the point of installing it, and firing it up for the first time, I was dead-set on not wanting to like it, and instead had plans on building a 3 -way front stereo stage with custom midbass in the doors (8's!), and two way A-pillars fiberglassed in the front.  I was dead-set on doing this, until I actually finally wired up and ran the Ms8.  I calibrated it per the book, and then just sat in my car for hours (YES, thankfully I installed my Optima battery prior to that), literally blown away by how much better this was than ALL my previous installations.  Yes, it wasn't perfect and some tuning was required, especially in the midbass... but overall the presence and realism of the sound stage was so good, I realized that all my others plans were pretty much unnecessary to get the sound I wanted. 

I've since installed Ms8's in other people's cars, and overall it has been positive, especially in cars that have center channel spots.  The Ms8's algorithms make great use of the center channel for voicing a strong center in the sound stage, and while it can create a phantom center like a standard 2 channel system does, it is not as convincing, period.  It is all in the processing.  A really great build was my friends Chrysler 300, that sucker sounded amazing after we were done.  All stock speakers (Boston branded factory) + a beautiful 15" from Image Dynamics, with the MS8 handling the pillar tweeters, rear fill, center, and a powerful amp controlling the front woofers and sub. 

Prior processing I've used was the 3sixty.2 (a couple of them, actually), some car audio pc builds for others (abandoned), and one of my favorites, the Kenwood X4R and X1R amps which include some nifty processing built right in.  Processors in head units were my previous choice, mostly because it was one of the ONLY choices available in the hobby.  Units like the PRS800 / 880, and the ugly but functional Clarion DXZ785USB.

Fast SHO

stock sony system is garbage.

BTW, has anyone fit 6.5 components in the front door of a 2010+ SHO?
2014 SHO PP

IHeartGroceries

Don't know a thing about audio systems. Never upgraded one in my life, so a lot of the material in this thread is jargon.

But, the Sony system isn't too bad, IMO. My chief complaint is like many others - it is too midrange heavy.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

Dxlnt1

This may be over the top upgrade, but worth it for the quality. I love music, so it MUST be clear at all volumes. I love to hear every instrument and sound in the recording. That being said, the OEM system wasn't too bad. Decent highs, so so mids, and average factory for lows (bass). But I wanted more volume, clarity and thump.

VOILA! Alpine head unit with NAV. Added touch screen replacement kit for HVAC controls. Replaced all 4 door speakers with Alpine 5x7. factory amp stays to power surround speakers in front and back. And the factory sub on rear deck. Then 2 10" subs custom fitted in trunk.

http://youtu.be/ZsX7H1JMbaI

2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

SHOdded

Quote from: Dxlnt1 on January 11, 2014, 09:59:32 AM
But I wanted more volume, clarity and thump.
How can that NOT sound good!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Lanson

This may be over the top upgrade, but worth it for the quality. I love music, so it MUST be clear at all volumes. I love to hear every instrument and sound in the recording. That being said, the OEM system wasn't too bad. Decent highs, so so mids, and average factory for lows (bass). But I wanted more volume, clarity and thump.

VOILA! Alpine head unit with NAV. Added touch screen replacement kit for HVAC controls. Replaced all 4 door speakers with Alpine 5x7. factory amp stays to power surround speakers in front and back. And the factory sub on rear deck. Then 2 10" subs custom fitted in trunk.

Those boxes are beautiful.  I don't think I'd build the sub sticking out so much, but I see potential.

Dxlnt1

Quote from: Lanson on January 11, 2014, 10:13:48 PM

Those boxes are beautiful.  I don't think I'd build the sub sticking out so much, but I see potential.

Maybe you cant see it, but the subs dont stick out. They are flush with the trunk line. The inset near the the tail lights was basically extended the pillar behind seat. Needed the space to give subs a pocket for air to move. The extension keeps the lines flush.
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

Kolk1