• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

A sad, sad day in the history of my SHO.....

Started by bpd1151, May 17, 2019, 09:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordan

Quote from: StealBlueSHO on July 12, 2019, 09:16:58 PM
And can someone smarter than me explain how FOUR out of SIX bearings are spun?! On one dyno session that only had 1 pull supposedly?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only thing I can think of, however pure speculation, is major over revving the engine
World's Fastest SHO Ecoboost July 2019 - Current

2020 Power Numbers - 536AWHP/647Torque

lamrith

Quote from: Jordan on July 13, 2019, 08:18:07 AM
Quote from: StealBlueSHO on July 12, 2019, 09:16:58 PM
And can someone smarter than me explain how FOUR out of SIX bearings are spun?! On one dyno session that only had 1 pull supposedly?!

Only thing I can think of, however pure speculation, is major over revving the engine
Or maybe oil pump failure?
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

6500rpm

"Or maybe oil pump failure?"

^^^This was my thought after seeing the damage. It looks like catastrophic loss of oil pressure to see that kind of damage to so many main and rod bearings, and the cam lobe. The damage to the piston skirts is also troubling and typical of what GM had going on their 3.1L engines around 2000/2001 where there was too much clearance and short skirts. The bolt torque issue might be more concerning to an engine builder, I'm not sure how the break away torque relates or is calculated on torque to yield bolts where the final torque is angle rated. I would have expected to see more metals in the oil report considering the bearing damage, but regardless, to me it looks like it either lost oil pressure or the engine was loaded so hard the bearing clearance became stressed. If this was a 5 year old engine (I think that was the reported age), I would have expected the tight bearing clearance to have caused an issue early in life not at this point unless it was load induced or lost oil pressure for some reason. The other disturbing thing to me would be if the block was represented to be closed deck modified?

Edit-
Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on June 06, 2019, 09:26:22 PM
there was 1 complete dyno pull, 11 miles is from 3 different warm up times, 1 pre plug change (would not rev past 3k or so), 3 or 4 post plug change (would not rev past 3k or so, and a few revisions to just to be thorough), and 1 post injector change (full pull)

As I've read this thread multiple times trying to figure out what happened to the engine and the relationship a few things come to mind. LMS stated they also had an oil sample (the results would be good to compare the two). They stated 3 or 4 partial/full pulls on the Dyno, so the data logs might be telling "proven factual data" along with any freeze frame data (codes had to be thrown when all this was happening). At 3k rpm, it sure wasn't over reving and if it lost oil pressure or started knocking on the first pull, unless you were on crack, the reality is that nobody would have continued on past that point. At some point the facts are the facts. I have no clue about what's on a data log on a pull, but as a Tech that uses IDS on Fords daily there's a ton of data available if it's recorded.
2013 SHO PP in Ruby Red Metallic, GTG Billet Grills, Duraflex Racer Chin Spoiler, DriveBright LED Driving/Turn Lights,160 T Stat, MSD Coils, All Royal Purple Lubricants, EPP Gen 2 Duel Intake and hotpipes,3 bar, Gearhead AO tuned!

GhostlyGrenade

i have had a few built engines and every single one came with a full build sheet and a parts list breakdown. the very first engine i had built mostly by napa, the ones following were built by local race shops. i cant imagine not receiving that info after a build. it was very handy for additional parts and peace of mind.
2015 SHO Darkside paint color, 3 bar, Motorcraft SP542 plugs@0.28, MSD Coils, K&N drop in, Continental Extreme Contact tires 255/45R20, EBC Yellow pads, 170 T-Stat, Redline 5w30, updated to the 2018+ trans mount, E-30 Blend, TUNED by AJPTurbo

FoMoCoSHO

Sorry for your loss BPD...I've been MIA for a while and I just stumbled upon this shitSHO last night while trying to get caught up from my absence.

The only thing truly surprising to me about this disgraceful situation is the fact there was a scratch on your car.

Edited for BrainFail..

creepmuzik

I looked at the pics and thought, interesting, no closed deck... then to hear you were to have received one answers all questions I had about the entire situation.  I'm curious as to what the response will be, if any.  My condolences BPD, I recently overcame a bearing failure myself (obv diff circumstances) and am back on the road only to chase either a boost leak or bad turbo.  Good luck in your recovery.
2014 SHO non-PP Tuxedo Black
GH E30, GH IC, Xdi-35 HPFP, PPE catted DPs, J2 Fab Dual Inlet CAI, MSD Coils, H&R Springs, Torque Mounts, JLT Catch Can, Oil Cap Breather w/front vent delete, EPP Noisemaker Delete, NITTO NT555s on stock Flowers
PB: 12.1 @ 112 mph - DA 0-200 [w/Airaid CAI and before IC]

ShoBoat

MF'rs, that looks nothing like the pics in the video. I honestly can't believe how far LMS has fallen, Mike this totally sucks and I honestly don't know what else to say but chin up my friend. Your attitude during a time like this is exemplary.

On the side of LMS not a bright thing to do, of all the people to rip off knowing what you do for a living.

2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

MKS Tom

This is why the community in general should support the couple turners out there who know what they are doing instead of bicker over "tuner wars" all of the time. 
2013 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, 70,000 miles.  3 bar map 93 tune (E30 in the future) by both AJP Turbo and Ortiz Performance.  PPE catted down pipes, EPP dual CAI (not yet installed so K&N drop in), .026 gapped SP542, 170 degree thermostat, Dynomax axlebacks, and Power Stop Z23 pads and rotors.

SM105K

Quote from: MKS Tom on July 14, 2019, 10:03:16 PM
This is why the community in general should support the couple turners out there who know what they are doing instead of bicker over "tuner wars" all of the time.

That is why I took so long to pick my tuner.  I didn't just run straight to LMS like alot of people do.  I did my diligence.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

802SHO

I did, I ran straight to LMS like you described.  And boy was I a happy camper....until I installed a way to measure boost(boost gauge) and found very low boost 10-11 psi.  After a bunch of emails it was said to be a problem with the way I hooked it up...so of course I checked everything over....and then decided whatever....until I got the methonal injection kit from LMS and passed up their just over 3k install and installed myself...then downloaded their meth tune...and boost had not changed.  After a lot of research on this forum from the shadows I knew I'd get better taken care of else where....and have more power without adding any new parts.  I joined this forum to switch from Livernois to SCT software and to contact Brad(AJP). 
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

SM105K

So for the longest time after reading this article, I was under the impression that this was actually, "Mike's" motor. 
http://www.fastfordmuscle.com/topic/2587-livernois-builds-world%E2%80%99s-highest-hp-ecoboost-taurus-sho/

In this video, here is a complete break down of the build that was "put" in Mike's car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wlzbNAvhrI&feature=youtu.be

Mike was this the short block that LMS "put" in your car that they advertised?  Was this the same short block including the heads that was taken apart?

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP750100

"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: bpd1151 on July 12, 2019, 08:50:01 PM
Wow. Great to see all the interest here. As I stated from the beginning, I had no desire for this to turn into a proverbial $h!t show. Now with that said.....

I realize that parts break. It happens. It also goes without saying, that I have been OVERLY OCD on maintenance. I've learned quite a bit since the failure was communicated to me. In hindsight, I should've taken this so called "built motor" to task and beaten the snot out of it, right out of the gate. I now know it wouldn't of lasted as long as it had.

Anyhow, I want to keep this update as concise as possible. If questions arise, or the conversation develops, whereas additional clarification is needed and/or requested, then by all means, I'll expound.

Let's move onto the reports!

So, here is the oil analysis from Blackstone Laboratories:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12Bkw3duA72HEQMILyiD4PJzIE9kFEttS/view?usp=drivesdk

As previously mentioned, the oil WAS brand new as we already drained it to analyze it and cut open the filter. it wasn't until a towtruck was here unannounced to us that we put fresh oil and a fresh filter on it. Being the injector issue was corrected, of course there isn't contamination in it. No surprise here of course

Also, here is the report from the local machine shop who I had tear this motor down, as well as perfom an in-depth forensic analysis upon same:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9TsCV9YXmrFd293bnZCLXJEREZhVWduZFB4clFiTzdtQmd3/view?usp=drivesdk

We record all clearance specifications for all of our builds, and suffice to say what you are reporting here doesn't match what we have recorded with the engine.

I have/had no affiliation with either of the above vendors prior to me having asked them to perform their respective services. I thought this was/is important as I wanted to have completely neutral, 3rd parties involved in this, so as to provide me with unbiased facts.

Some pictures sent to me by the machine shop, depicting the less than stellar machining and what not are below.

Any questions, comments? LMK.

and a fair number of these pics confirm our thoughts on the fuel washing. Heavy skirt damage, combined with bearing failure just adds confirmation of what we said.

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: SM105K on July 15, 2019, 12:02:23 PM
So for the longest time after reading this article, I was under the impression that this was actually, "Mike's" motor. 
http://www.fastfordmuscle.com/topic/2587-livernois-builds-world%E2%80%99s-highest-hp-ecoboost-taurus-sho/

In this video, here is a complete break down of the build that was "put" in Mike's car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wlzbNAvhrI&feature=youtu.be

Mike was this the short block that LMS "put" in your car that they advertised?  Was this the same short block including the heads that was taken apart?

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP750100

this right here. on no invoice, nor marketing item did we ever put that it was a race series engine. He bought, paid for, and received a pro-series engine.

The amount of untrue things being said by Mike is beyond disappointing. And this is just another item on that list. Almost everyone in this thread thinks we pulled a switch-a-roo when it's really Mike not remembering what is in his own car.

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: bpd1151 on July 12, 2019, 09:12:32 PM

I was told it was a closed deck design, yes. I was also told that the oil passages had been modified to allow for better cooling/lubrication, etc.

Neither instance appeared to be the case.

As far as the oil report, I found that interesting too. Including the estimated mileage of the oil. The report seems to contradict what was claimed to have been done.

Thanks for the condolences. I've been working a butt load of overtime in recent weeks in order to help offset the cost of a new build. Albeit by a different vendor this time around.

It will be akin to the proverbially Phoenix rising from the ashes.

You were never told it was a closed deck, nor had any modifications for oil flow, and the build pictures/videos/invoice all show quite clearly it's an open deck and spell out what parts were being used. The oil report actually CONFIRMS that we drained the oil and put in fresh after the failure.

Quote from: bpd1151 on July 12, 2019, 09:13:03 PM
Quote from: SM105K on July 12, 2019, 09:02:45 PM
Interesting....I have built and have had built numerous forged motors in my days. Mike, did LMS give you a built sheet with specs like this?
NOPE.

None was provided because you never asked for one. we keep them for our records.

Quote from: StealBlueSHO on July 12, 2019, 09:03:39 PM

Also... the Blackstone report states trace amount of fuel dilution in the oil? Interesting as that's what LMS said caused the failure?

Sorry to hear about this... hopefully things will turn around and new records will be set...

Right, trace amounts, in brand new oil. So the fuel contamination was high enough in the old oil, that the little bit of oil left in the engine left trace contamination in the brand new oil. still waiting for where anything is posted proving us wrong on the failure.

trace fuel contamination in brand new oil confirms fuel was at play in the old oil

piston skirt scuffing confirms lack of oil film strength on cylinder walls, also confirms fuel was at play

spun bearings and further oil related damage throughout engine confirm insufficient lubrication, which with the other 2 items confirms fuel being the culprit

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: bpd1151 on July 12, 2019, 11:24:28 PM
And as I replied over there, the "offer" was NOT for everything to be free, as being publicly reported.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mike, I was there for the conversation, other than the bill that you had (and by the way, never paid a dime for to this day), and some fluids, yes it was. It was reiterated about 3-4 times as well as we couldn't understand why you weren't on board for free AND getting it done before the Ford nationals.