• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

p0316 misfire

Started by FoshoMatt, August 20, 2017, 12:37:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoshoMatt

Hello everyone, Im sure some of you guys have seen my fb post but im still stuck on some things with this misfire code. Ive replaced all spark plugs with new ones gaped at .30. The coilpacks  have been changed and are good. It all started on Wednesdays when I was leaving work I let my foot off the brake and it started suttering. I work at mercedes and the techs said its a misfire. So I grabed the LMS mycal and a DTC for p0316 popped up. (I Did not have a CEL on either) a scan tool wont pop up anything. Im not sure what to do next, all plugs are gaped correctly. My ford dealership is on strike so im SOL on that. I dont trust any other fords dealership around.

SHOdded

What year SHO and how many miles?  Have you checked the turbo piping and intercooler for pooling oil/crud?  Cleaned the MAP sensors with MAF cleaner?  Recent fuelup?  Any symptoms prior?  Any recent work on the engine?

Could be a chafing knock sensor wire or a failing fuel injector/pump.  P0316 should tell you which cylinder is involved in the freezeframe data.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOdded

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,8014

Also possible to happen if an incorrect MAP sensor (2 bar vs 3 bar) is loaded.  The EVAP Purge Valve has been coming up as an issue nowadays as well, so another option to consider.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoshoMatt

2010 and im at 52400.I did not check those places I will tomorrow! I did just put gas in there on Monday and in the morning I was getting ready to go to work so I let the car warm up for a good 5+ mins. Only recent work was catless Downpipes but it was about a month ago. I have a 3bar tune on it but I reprogrammed to stock and it runs even worse. When I would WOT it feels like a good 5 seconds before boost kicks in. IT feels like honda's vtec lol. The only problem is I dont have a scan tool to get the freeze frame or know which cylinder is misfiring. How do I get a freeze frame?

SHOdded

When you returned the car to stock, did you replace the 3 bar with the stock 2 bar (atop the manifold)?  What brand catless DPs did you put on?  Any chance of having pinched the O2 sensor wiring or the flange/gaskets being loose/leaking?

Was the car running well before you fueled up?  Then I would say very likely a case of bad gas, especially if from a non-Top Tier gas station OR a station that doesn't have high turnover.

Torque Pro and other OBD software will show Mode 06 data, but you need Mode 02 data to get freezeframe.  I see Torque Pro now offers freeze frame data when you go into fault codes and check the PCM (after being connected to the car), so that might work out for you.
http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/support/Knowledgebase/Article/View/48/6/mode-06-diagnostics

Some additional info in this article:
http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/support/Knowledgebase/Article/View/90/23/how-to-diagnose-ford-misfire-issues-using-mode-06

Scroll down to the "advanced and troubleshooting" section.  Seems summary counts ARE provided in Mode 06 data, and you can find out which cylinder is at fault.

FoshoMatt

When I returned back to stock I did put the 2bar back on, and when I fuel up I went to shell and got 93 and my car was off. I am going to check the for the chaffing wires and others in a hour or so. Ill keep you updated if you like! Thanks for the help :)

SHOdded

Def keep us in the loop, it may just turn out to be the purge valve.

FoshoMatt

I only replaced one coil pack to isolated which cylinder is for. Do you know the ohm spec for each coils by chance? and for the evap where is that by chance? and for the chaffed wires were would I look for those to?

ZSHO

Quote from: FoshoMatt on August 20, 2017, 02:35:42 PM
I only replaced one coil pack to isolated which cylinder is for. Do you know the ohm spec for each coils by chance?
I believe the FSM does not show the ohm specs related to the coils IIRC.
Mode 6 Data or a power balance with IDS might be warranted as SHOdded mentioned above. 
Do you have any pics of the engine bay,preferably with the engine cover off. 

Purge valve link below.  Z

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,7133.0.html

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

FoshoMatt

I did clean all 2bar,3bars,maf sensor, with maf cleaner. spark plugs are gapped to .30 and coils are good. I dont have a scan tool :( dont know anyone with one. 

ZSHO

Quote from: FoshoMatt on August 20, 2017, 05:27:45 PM
I did clean all 2bar,3bars,maf sensor, with maf cleaner. spark plugs are gapped to .30 and coils are good. I dont have a scan tool :( dont know anyone with one.
Check your CAI IAT Plug/connector came loose . Z
Autozone has a free scan tool.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

FoshoMatt

Yeah I just didnt plug that in after cleaning it lol

ZSHO

Quote from: FoshoMatt on August 20, 2017, 05:43:03 PM
Yeah I just didnt plug that in after cleaning it lol
Why did you plug your Front BOV? 
Did you remove the Noisemaker from the T/B ?

FoshoMatt

I did the bov mod, and the noise maker  I used a 3/4 rubber expansion. I did those about a month or 2 ago. I checked the purge valve and im getting suction

ZSHO

Quote from: FoshoMatt on August 20, 2017, 06:02:53 PM
I did the bov mod, and the noise maker  I used a 3/4 rubber expansion. I did those about a month or 2 ago. I checked the purge valve and im getting suction
Why would you plug your front BOV ? How about the rear ?
If your SHO is VTA you would want to remove the front BOV plug.  Z