• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

High pitch tapping...

Started by StealBlueSho, July 28, 2017, 05:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

Might and probably do have a problem here...

Noticed that my car is making a tapping almost like a screw driver taping an exhaust pipe somewhere toward the bottom end... it's very tingly sound, not a knocking sound per se...

It's very faint but once you hear it, it's very obvious...

The noise is most prevalent at idle and goes away after 2300 RPMs... I can't get it to make the noise under load..

I also noticed that while in park if I rev the motor there is a shudder at 2000 RPMs until 2500 RPMs...

I pulled plugs and they all look good....checked all the connections on the exhaust side for loose bolts or rubbing...

Next is to check oil for metal... I didn't see any on the last oil change about 400 miles ago...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TopherSho

Quote from: StealBlueSho on July 28, 2017, 05:31:00 PM

Noticed that my car is making a tapping almost like a screw driver taping an exhaust pipe somewhere toward the bottom end... it's very tingly sound, not a knocking sound per se...

The noise is most prevalent at idle and goes away after 2300 RPMs... I can't get it to make the noise under load..

I also noticed that while in park if I rev the motor there is a shudder at 2000 RPMs until 2500 RPMs...

I pulled plugs and they all look good....checked all the connections on the exhaust side for loose bolts or rubbing...

Next is to check oil for metal... I didn't see any on the last oil change about 400 miles ago...

Nooooooooooooo....
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

mrhighcaliber

Mine too. Sounds something jingles a lil if I rev it in park. Thought it might be a waste hate actuator linkage.

I dont have the slight shudder from 2k to 3k in park since spraying amsoil power foam through the intake thru a hot engine (then shutting it down) over a period of 4 days and 7 hot pre shutdown applications. Softens the carbon right up. I installed down pipes after this and it Left the insides of my turbos exhaust sides and cat inlets carbon free.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

StealBlueSho

Quote from: mrhighcaliber on July 28, 2017, 05:34:03 PM

Mine too. Sounds something jingles a lil if I rev it in park. Thought it might be a waste hate actuator linkage.

I dont have the slight shudder from 2k to 3k in park since spraying amsoil power foam through the intake thru a hot engine (then shutting it down) over a period of 4 days and 7 hot pre shutdown applications. Softens the carbon right up. I installed down pipes after this and it Left the insides of my turbos exhaust sides and cat inlets carbon free.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

So you had a shudder at one point? I am concerned it's a rod bearing..

AJP turbo

I always had a tinging metallic noise when i free revved in neutral but i always thought it was my aftermarket downpipes
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

StealBlueSho

Quote from: AJP turbo on July 28, 2017, 06:13:01 PM
I always had a tinging metallic noise when i free revved in neutral but i always thought it was my aftermarket downpipes

Did it follow the RPMs? Mines does until 2300 RPMs or so... then it disappears...

I am not seeing anything out of the ordinary on my datalogs.

I am assuming rod knock would set off something... and it's not quite loud enough for rod knock...

AJP turbo

It didnt follow rpm but sounded like the cat substrate clanking around but i had catless pipes
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

StealBlueSho

Hmmm...

The vibration goes away once the car is warmed up. And I recruited my wife to give it some gas so I can monitor the engine while it's happening...

The engine sounds smooth as butter, and the shudder doesn't originate from the engine. The high pitch tinging noise is only audible below 2500 RPMs and follows the rpm... up and down in speed...

No metallic flakes coming up with the dipstick...

I maybe chasing a normal engine noise with these things as the age a bit... I am only at 53K miles...

No excess oil in the intake track. My return lines from the turbos are leaking... again.. not shocked there....

I don't give a lot of credit to weird noises and stuff when the motor is cold unless it's really out there noise wise....

Anyone know if rod knock shows up as knock in a log?

TopherSho

Have you scoped the cylinder?  Is it a hunk of metal banging around? 

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

StealBlueSho

Quote from: TopherSho on July 28, 2017, 08:41:35 PM
Have you scoped the cylinder?  Is it a hunk of metal banging around?

Nope, and I don't have a scope, amazon probably had a good deal on a cheap one...

Not sure what would be banging around in the cylinder...

TopherSho

I can't remember the OP,  but we just had someone (in the forum) report a tiny thinking that was a piece of the top of one of his pistons.

I hope and think that's not it.. but scoping would eliminate top end issues outside of a bad valve

ZSHO

Coolant FULL?  Does it smell like exhaust under the engine? . Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

StealBlueSho

Quote from: ZSHO on July 28, 2017, 09:37:04 PM
Coolant FULL?  Z

Fluids are all good. Fresh too.

Colorado-SHOBro

just throwin it out there. . where did you mount your meth pump? is it possible it could be rattling against the frame or something of that nature?
I also think investing in a borescope is a good idea. Regardless of the issue it's nice to have one around.

11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on July 28, 2017, 10:29:33 PM
just throwin it out there. . where did you mount your meth pump? is it possible it could be rattling against the frame or something of that nature?
I also think investing in a borescope is a good idea. Regardless of the issue it's nice to have one around.

Good point, I did check the pump. I ran the car with it disconnected and the noise was still there. I am also having an issue with the pump not building pressure and I have a call into Alky.

Thought maybe the Alternator was going out, had it and the battery tested today. Both came back good.

I wonder if the timing chain got stretched out? It happens on the F150...

Or I am being paranoid and chasing ghosts...