• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

High pitch tapping...

Started by StealBlueSho, July 28, 2017, 05:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

Anyone ever try disconnecting one of the coil packs while the car is running? I wonder if the ECU will shut it down...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TopherSho

if there is a stutter or shudder ... its not a ghost
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

mrhighcaliber

Quote from: StealBlueSho on July 28, 2017, 05:59:38 PM
Quote from: mrhighcaliber on July 28, 2017, 05:34:03 PM
Quote from: StealBlueSho on July 28, 2017, 05:31:00 PM
Might and probably do have a problem here...

Noticed that my car is making a tapping almost like a screw driver taping an exhaust pipe somewhere toward the bottom end... it's very tingly sound, not a knocking sound per se...

It's very faint but once you hear it, it's very obvious...

The noise is most prevalent at idle and goes away after 2300 RPMs... I can't get it to make the noise under load..

I also noticed that while in park if I rev the motor there is a shudder at 2000 RPMs until 2500 RPMs...

I pulled plugs and they all look good....checked all the connections on the exhaust side for loose bolts or rubbing...

Next is to check oil for metal... I didn't see any on the last oil change about 400 miles ago...

Mine too. Sounds something jingles a lil if I rev it in park. Thought it might be a waste hate actuator linkage.

I dont have the slight shudder from 2k to 3k in park since spraying amsoil power foam through the intake thru a hot engine (then shutting it down) over a period of 4 days and 7 hot pre shutdown applications. Softens the carbon right up. I installed down pipes after this and it Left the insides of my turbos exhaust sides and cat inlets carbon free.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

So you had a shudder at one point? I am concerned it's a rod bearing..

No shudder while driving but, in park around 2-3k I felt more engine vibrations. Only in this rpm range. I don't think its a rod bearing on your part. . Can u record a good sound clip of it?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

TopherSho

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

StealBlueSho

Quote from: TopherSho on July 28, 2017, 11:27:50 PM
what is your spark doing?

Idles around 5-6 bounces a bit... driving is fine. Full spark without any issues.

StealBlueSho

Sounds nothing like this....

https://youtu.be/45woF4vZLU8

Colorado-SHOBro

another thing i just thought of if you're feeling a vibration . . i can always feel an instant vibration the moment the fans kick on. it's very brief and once they get up to speed i don't feel it anymore but if you're right on the coolant temp where they're kicking on/off  i would think you could feel that. .. which could explain the "shudder" but not the ping sound.

timing chain also came to mind for me. . have a mechanics stethoscope?

11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on July 29, 2017, 12:06:45 AM
another thing i just thought of if you're feeling a vibration . . i can always feel an instant vibration the moment the fans kick on. it's very brief and once they get up to speed i don't feel it anymore but if you're right on the coolant temp where they're kicking on/off  i would think you could feel that. .. which could explain the "shudder" but not the ping sound.

timing chain also came to mind for me. . have a mechanics stethoscope?

Yea... I listened to each cylinder by the plugs. They all sound the same... I also listened to the oil pan to see if I could get any feedback... couldn't find it there...

The hesitation is not fan related. And once the car is warmed up, the hesitation goes away. At around that rpm is also when my exhaust is the deepest...which doesn't help because that alone vibrates the car..

I will check around the timing chain tomorrow...

sholxgt

Positive that the exhaust isn't hitting anything or itself where the two pipes run side by side?

What you're describing with the vibration could also be a motor mount.  You just ran it at the track.  Maybe it hurt a motor mount.  I believe the rear one is fluid filled.  Maybe it's no longer filled?  Just throwing out some ideas.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

SHOdded

Do you still have your stock downpipes?  Try swapping out the SWs.

Also monitor transmission PIDs, see if it might be the torque converter.  That rpm range is a bit wide, but could be a lockup issue.  Note what trans temp is at the time the stutter/shudder goes away.  See if the issue occurs at cruise in that rpm range also.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SHOdded on July 29, 2017, 03:55:32 AM
Do you still have your stock downpipes?  Try swapping out the SWs.

Also monitor transmission PIDs, see if it might be the torque converter.  That rpm range is a bit wide, but could be a lockup issue.  Note what trans temp is at the time the stutter/shudder goes away.  See if the issue occurs at cruise in that rpm range also.

Hmmmm... so auto transmissions are a magical beast to me. I have been noticing when I put the car in reverse after is been sitting there is pronounced click.

And also I noticed on the way back from the track when it up shift after letting off the gas it was a bit harsh disengaging the gear.

Daily driving the transmission regularly goes up to 200F.. but being as it's a non pp without the cooler and there hasn't been much in the way any other symptoms until now I haven't given it much thought...

Gonna do some testing today.. sounds like it could be the torque converter or possibly a motor mount like previously mentioned...

dubcitySHO

I apologize for not having a technical description of my previous torque converter issue, but the shop that fixed mine said diagnostics showed mine was locking and unlocking while being given no command to do so, according to their scan tool. 

I had major RPM fluctuations while driving though and no tapping/pinging. 

Hope it turns out to be a minor fix!
2018 Magnetic Metallic F-150 XLT FX4 SCrew, 20% 3M Tint, Currently researching reputable F-150 tuners....

StealBlueSho

glock-coma

I have the reverse click after sitting. Only happens if I'm parked on level ground. Any kind of hill and it's not present.
You engine video does sound a little "buzzy" compared to most.
I have almost the same mileage on my 10.
I'll try to get a video.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

TopherSho

Did you take the styrofoamy muffin off the fuel pumpy thing on the head ?  mine sounds ALOT like that with it off ...