• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

High pitch tapping...

Started by StealBlueSho, July 28, 2017, 05:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

Had a buddy check it out... he says he can't hear anything out of the ordinary but that the engine was a bit noisy however nothing he would find an issue. He asked if it was missing or having any other symptoms which i explained the vibration at 2300 - 2500 RPMs. He mentioned that almost every car has a slight vibration around those RPMS and sure enough my 1.5L ecoboost has a similar vibration although not as pronounced. It's also over half the displacement smaller...

Final verdict he said is that I know my engine best, if I am hearing something that he can't hear then it could be something in the extremely early phase of going out, but that a lot of these motors have different noises. If the car is running well, no loss of power, no other real symptoms besides this noise I am hearing that even if I took it to Ford they aren't going to touch it. Best bet is just keep an ear out and see if the noise gets worse or not.

He seemed to think it isn't worth putting much more effort into... his opinion is that it sounds just like every other ecoboost he has worked on...

He is an ASE Master Mechanic that worked for Ford for a long time. Now builds small and big block Race motors for people in his barn. We've been friends since I was in middle school, I tend to trust him.

I did ask him about the possibility of the torque converter going out... he did a few tests on it and said it felt fine. He reminded me that if I am tracking it, that once those transmission temps get to 209ish they can start to act sluggish and engage/disengage different than normal... that I need to let it cool down before getting on it...

So for now, I am going to table this unless something else pops up...

Now to wait for Julio to respond about why my meth pump keeps requirement me to up the voltage to keep pressure...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TopherSho

uploading a video of mine,  50k miles .. sounds really similar if you take off the muffin cover. be back in about 10 minutes'

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

sholxgt

Quote from: TopherSho on July 29, 2017, 04:15:59 PM
Did you take the styrofoamy muffin off the fuel pumpy thing on the head ?  mine sounds ALOT like that with it off ...

I did and agree about the sound.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

StealBlueSho

Quote from: sholxgt on July 29, 2017, 04:33:48 PM
Did you take the styrofoamy muffin off the fuel pumpy thing on the head ?  mine sounds ALOT like that with it off ...

Pretty much what my mechanic said..

TopherSho

Quote from: StealBlueSho on July 29, 2017, 04:40:25 PM
Quote from: sholxgt on July 29, 2017, 04:33:48 PM

Pretty much what my mechanic said..

Here is a video of mine.. at first i ran without it .. but it was VERY audible in the cabin :P  so i put it back.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/doy2czz43odnwdd/VID_20170729_132706.mp4?dl=0

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

sholxgt

So that you know...that is the high pressure fuel pump.  It's a mechanical pump driven off of the camshaft that bumps pressure to over 1,000 psi.  Mine sounds exactly the same.

I have a Lincoln, so I can't hear the pump with the cover removed if the hood is closed.  :)  My extra 200+ lbs are mostly in insulation I suspect.  Hood is composite, but NOT light either.
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

StealBlueSho

Quote from: sholxgt on July 29, 2017, 05:16:38 PM
So that you know...that is the high pressure fuel pump.  It's a mechanical pump driven off of the camshaft that bumps pressure to over 1,000 psi.  Mine sounds exactly the same.

I have a Lincoln, so I can't hear the pump with the cover removed if the hood is closed.  :)  My extra 200+ lbs are mostly in insulation I suspect.  Hood is composite, but NOT light either.

Yup, 100% familiar with it! I have replaced mine in the past during a fueling issue. I am familiar with that, the noise I am hearing is coming from behind bank 1 towards the middle of the engine. My mechanic said he didn't hear anything outside of the ordinary.

At this point unless there is something that happens, I don't think I have an issue... yet...

sholxgt

Quote from: StealBlueSho on July 29, 2017, 05:26:35 PM

Yup, 100% familiar with it! I have replaced mine in the past during a fueling issue. I am familiar with that, the noise I am hearing is coming from behind bank 1 towards the middle of the engine. My mechanic said he didn't hear anything outside of the ordinary.

At this point unless there is something that happens, I don't think I have an issue... yet...

Sorry, I should have quoted Topher.  I know you're a pro with the fuel system in these cars.  Probably one of a handful of people who have replaced the high pressure pump themselves.

Out of curiosity, when was your last oil change and what weight are you running?  I seem to notice more valvetrain noise as my oil gets older.  Granted, my lab results also showed my oil at 6,000 miles was pretty well shot.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: sholxgt on July 29, 2017, 05:30:46 PM
Quote from: StealBlueSho on July 29, 2017, 05:26:35 PM

Sorry, I should have quoted Topher.  I know you're a pro with the fuel system in these cars.  Probably one of a handful of people who have replaced the high pressure pump themselves.

Out of curiosity, when was your last oil change and what weight are you running?  I seem to notice more valvetrain noise as my oil gets older.  Granted, my lab results also showed my oil at 6,000 miles was pretty well shot.

Far from a pro! I think Poleski at this point knows more about this car fuel system than anyone.

Oil was change about 400 miles ago.. I noticed the perceived noise before changing the oil... one of the reason I changed it at only 1800 miles. The other was I hadn't changed it since tuning for meth which can be hard on the oil.

glock-coma

I noticed this also. I took a video with it both on and off and there was a noticeable difference.

Need to upload to YouTube still...
Tapatalk is not letting me load directly from the app for some reason.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

StealBlueSho

So let's just give me a heart attack.. put the car back together, adjusted the Alky pump after working with Julio... datalog... knock everywhere! Part throttle... WOT... 2-4 degrees of KR...

Thinking about it... I put in no name 93 octane from the gas station near the track on my way home... only about $20 worth because I didn't know the gas station....

Put in shell gas with about 2 gallons of E85 to stabilize it. No knock... running great.. actually chirped 2nd gear... went up to 100mph.. no knock.

Let's just add bad gas on top of my paranoia...

ZSHO

IMHO that was one of my initial impressions that your probably ended up with some bad ass gas but in this case there was just so many variables to consider.
But truly glad you figured it out without having to leave a dent in your wallet.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

StealBlueSho

Well... if I need to get a new motor at some point I will give LMS a call... get a quote... at this point... selling it off and getting something just as fast will cost me more money in the long run.

SHOdded

Damn you, bad gas!  Surprisingly I have of late found gas from Safeway (not top tier) quite good.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!