• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

oil ingestion and tuning

Started by nickwalter4, November 04, 2016, 06:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickwalter4

had quite the adventure this week.

Oh boy where do i start...  it's kinda long so i'll try to go readers digest style

1. I'm dumb and let my OCC over-fill.
2. out of town helped my wife drain it over the phone
3. began hearing ticking noises like cards in a bike wheel presumed cams.
4. wife gets code p0012 VCT solenoid bank 1 over-retarded (MIL illuminated)
5. check PTS to find there is a TSB for that code with a mil. the fix is...
6. UPDATED PCM calibration with IDS (returned to stock first, all that good stuff)
7. still hearing ticking cam noises. so did some research. possibly VCT solenoid unlikely on a 2016, possible oil flow issues (okay maybe, with the catch can over-filling). or maybe just something as simple as low on oil.
8. check oil. its not even on the dipstick, it comes out splotchy halfway up the dipstick not on the end. dark brown and dirty (just over 5k miles on mobil1 0w30)
9. OH Crap, i need to add/change my oil now!
10. drain oil, maybe 2 quarts of the dirty dark brown crap comes out. (well thats weird, the book says 6 quarts i know it usually doesn't drain all 6 but dang.)
11. put on my new oil filter and ran mobil1 5w20 in an attempt to thin/even out if there was any more tar left in there. put in 5.5 quarts engine took it all no problem and dipstick read.
12. cam noises seem to subside. will probly go back to 0w30 or the recommended 5w30 after a couple thousand miles.
13. now I'm trying to figure out this oil consumption. and looking periodically. the short hose from my OCC to the manifold seems oily on the blocker thing inside it, if I pull my manifold MAP it is soaked in oil. (even my 2 bar that's only been there since the IDS PCM update) so many issues from a 2016

i've read some scary things, valve covers getting replaced, VCT solenoids, and even crank bearing issues (yikes)

all the while i've emailed torrie with my updated PCM info, and got my 89MPG and my 93PERF tunes. only problem is. i flash the 93PERF and it wont turn over. cranks and stalls says general error 21000 when i tried reading the code(s) im not sure if that's an error reading codes or an error with the car.  . 89MPG works okay; didn't drive far but didn't trip any MIL.  what an adventure. stock tune with the 2 bar for now.

well i tried to keep it short for you guys. I seem to always throw my issues on the wrong thread so I made this adventure its own thread,  hope you guys can help...
wiring/diag @ ROUSH Ford prototype development. Fueled by, coffee, woodford reserve and the always delicious taco bell.

SOLD. '16 fire bronze Xsport: UPR catch can, AirAid, Hella sharptones, Husky floor liners, weathertech visors, PPE catted+coated DPS. 3bar, 170* TSTAT, SCT X4 by Unleashed 93 octane. Mobil 1.

ZSHO

I'm not sure why your putting 0w-30 on your XSPORT cause the wrong viscosity and light weight oil will screw up the cam phasers and cause a delay and set off a DTC,the same goes for dirty oil,no dis intended.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

nickwalter4

0w30 just personal preference, just a habit of "what I usually buy" I had a toyota before and it seemed to help mpg.  after this it will be 5w30 everytime still mobil1 though, kind of a fan-boy. appreciate the input. im more conerned with what happend to 4+ qts of oil in 5k miles and why it was so dirty.. and why is it in my manifold?
wiring/diag @ ROUSH Ford prototype development. Fueled by, coffee, woodford reserve and the always delicious taco bell.

SOLD. '16 fire bronze Xsport: UPR catch can, AirAid, Hella sharptones, Husky floor liners, weathertech visors, PPE catted+coated DPS. 3bar, 170* TSTAT, SCT X4 by Unleashed 93 octane. Mobil 1.

sholxgt

Is your 93 tune for a 3 bar MAP.  If so, did you remember to change the sensor prior to attempting to start?

I suspect that your oil drained out through your OCC.  Make sure that you have the check valves in place and running the correct direction.  It's very easy to install incorrectly.  Double and triple check your hose routing and check valves.  The vacuum/suction on these motors is not typical due to be turbo charged. 
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

ZSHO

I would say the dirty oil is expected especially when tuned at a 5k interval combined with excessive idle time!!...definitely post some pics of the oil in the manifold....BTW do you have a front clean side oil separator installed.?  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

AJP turbo

Quote from: ZSHO on November 04, 2016, 07:02:45 PM
I'm not sure why your putting 0w-30 on your XSPORT cause the wrong viscosity and light weight oil will screw up the cam phasers and cause a delay and set off a DTC,the same goes for dirty oil,no dis intended.  Z

0w-30 is not light weight oil...its only lighter when cold...infact you can make the argument it gets the oil flowing to vital parts faster

If operated at an ambiant temp of 30 degrees f. and full operating temp 5w-20 is LIGHTER  than 0w-30

I hate talking about oil...but the 0w-30 simply has a greater operating temp range than 5-30

If one lived in an area with huge temperature swings then 0w-30 would be the preferred "all year" oil

You wont spend anytime in the temp range for the 0w portion of the oil chart so its kind of an unused range of the oil
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

AJP turbo

Quote from: nickwalter4 on November 04, 2016, 07:09:37 PM
0w30 just personal preference, just a habit of "what I usually buy" I had a toyota before and it seemed to help mpg.  after this it will be 5w30 everytime still mobil1 though, kind of a fan

I run 0w-30 as well..but it doesnt help mpg unless you are always driving when super cold....otherwise its just like 5w-30

And mobil 1 is crappy group III hydro cracked poo poo....step up to group IV if you want some of the real
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOdded

You might be ok.  Stay stock for now.  Just do a couple of 500-1000 mile oil changes, just as if you had run an engine cleaner through.

Then if everything is ok, go back to regular OCI and put on the tune.  That would be my strategy.  Caution now, reward later :)

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

nickwalter4

Quote from: ZSHO on November 04, 2016, 07:33:35 PM
I would say the dirty oil is expected especially when tuned at a 5k interval combined with excessive idle time!!...definitely post some pics of the oil in the manifold....BTW do you have a front clean side oil separator installed.?  Z

I have the UPR kit from EPP it came with the CSS. Only difference is with the 16's theres a sensor and i had to cut the hose on the front of the engine. to put the sensor in line between CSS and the airbox nipple. I was posting a reply with some pics last night but im also currently in an uphill battle with windows 10 and had to force-crash it. Updates are killing my computer slowly.

ZSHO

Quote from: nickwalter4 on November 05, 2016, 06:03:04 AM
Quote from: ZSHO on November 04, 2016, 07:33:35 PM

I have the UPR kit from EPP it came with the CSS. Only difference is with the 16's theres a sensor and i had to cut the hose on the front of the engine. to put the sensor in line between CSS and the airbox nipple. I was posting a reply with some pics last night but im also currently in an uphill battle with windows 10 and had to force-crash it. Updates are killing my computer slowly.
AHH you mean this bad boy,its an EGR Feedback pressure sensor on the 16+. Z 

nickwalter4

U have a part number for that guy, Z? I know ill need one if i evee go back to off the lot stock.. i tore mine apart to use the sensor with my catch can.? I will post some pics whenever my computer decides to start working and i coincidentally also have time to use it...

ZSHO

nickwalter4

working ish so pics here goes...

short hose from OCC to manifold.

manifold nipple

other end of short hose. (i'm not sure which end is which)

a crappy pic

saturated MAP

again..

ZSHO

Here is a pic of a stock 16 X-SPORT and definitely get some maf cleaner for that map sensor..BTW did you cap the port highlighted on the bottom pic with your CC.?  Z 

nickwalter4

instructions said to leave it open, I  put a small breather filter on it.