• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Rear Differential leak...

Started by ecoboostsho, November 15, 2016, 09:16:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ecoboostsho

Anyone ever had their rear differential fluid start leaking fluid through the vent cap on the cover?  I noticed mine started leaking fluid this week and I just took it in to the dealer thinking the powertrain warranty would cover it (at the time I didn't know where it was exactly leaking from).  I did find a TSB that seems to be related on this site...TSB 14-0057 (supersedes TSB 12-8-12).  It is NOT covered by the powertrain warranty...

They called and stated it was leaking at the vent and that it would be $190.  The part is $13.72 on FordParts.com and the TSB says you literally just unscrew the vent and screw it back in with a total labor time of .3 hours.  Is it really that easy?  If so it would seem like I'm the one that is going to need to "vent".  I've had great luck with this  dealer in the past FWIW but I do have a new service guy helping.
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

SHOdded

It's part of the powertrain, I don't see how they said it is not covered.  Need to talk to an experienced service writer, or the service manager.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ecoboostsho

Thanks for the quick reply SHOdded!  I found the "warranty status" info from the TSB below...I agree that it certainly seems like it's part of the drivetrain, but this may say otherwise?  I'm certainly not trying to argue with myself either.  :)  I called him back and challenged them on the total and got the diagnostic time etc...I mean truthfully spending $190 at a dealership actually seems cheap these day - it's just the principle of wanting to be treated fairly.  I always give them my business on driveline fluid changes etc. (other than oil which I do myself) and am a pretty good customer from a "margin" standpoint. LOL  They did come back with a discount of $15...

----------------------------------------
WARRANTY STATUS

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage.
Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
-----------------------------------------
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)

ZSHO

Did this particular dealer change your fluid before?  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ecoboostsho

Not on the rear diff...

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

SHOdded

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/2013Warranty.pdf

Looks to me like it is covered.  Maybe they would prefer to replace the RDU under warranty instead?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!