• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PAO Based Synthetic Motor Oil Options

Started by sholxgt, August 27, 2016, 11:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sholxgt

Thought I would start this thread to try to gain some knowledge of which oils are truly synthetic.  As in they start life with a synthetic base stock.  This is not my area of expertise, so I'm interested to see what the community comes up with.

To the best of my knowledge, the following are PAO based synthetics:
Amsoil Signature
Red Line
Driven Racing

Anyone know if Motorcraft Full Synthetic is a PAO based oil?
From the Motorcraft Site:
● Manufactured with high-viscosity index, premium-
          quality, synthetic base oils that provide good
          high-temperature and low-temperature
          performance
So, it might be an option.  I've been running it only because I have free oil changes at the dealer.  LOL

I will add to this list as people post additions.  Will also delete any of the above if I am incorrect.  Let's see what we can come up with.

Edited to add Driven Racing motor oil AND remove Royal Purple
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

AnotherGreenFusion

What do you look for to determine if an oil is PAO based?

Are all AMSOil/Redline/Royal Purple grades PAO?
'15 Fusion SE 2.0 AWD
CP-E Cold Side, Hot Side, αIntake, QKspl DP & RMM | Boomba Can | Cordova TB | Synapse Gen III BOV | Levels FMIC | 160* T-Stat | Steeda STB, Sway | Flatout 5700 | SCT by Unleashed/LMS 93v11

PM me for AMSOil @ Cost

AJP turbo

Quote from: AnotherGreenFusion on August 27, 2016, 12:25:06 PM

Amsoil OE = good
Amsoil XL = better
Amsoil SS(signature series) = best
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

AnotherGreenFusion

Higher viscosity and shear viscosity are better correct?

I am trying to understand the difference between the Euro Spec AmsOil and Signature. As far as I can tel the Euro Spec has better viscosity but a lower TBN. Most of the other specs are near identical for the weight.
'15 Fusion SE 2.0 AWD
CP-E Cold Side, Hot Side, αIntake, QKspl DP & RMM | Boomba Can | Cordova TB | Synapse Gen III BOV | Levels FMIC | 160* T-Stat | Steeda STB, Sway | Flatout 5700 | SCT by Unleashed/LMS 93v11

PM me for AMSOil @ Cost

SHOdded

I believe I had seen it plainly stated on Amsoil's website that Signature was a true Group IV oil.  You can try comparing the MSDS for the oils of interest to see what the base is.

Comparing specs isn't the whole story.  A lot of oils come to the specs via their additive packages.  The quality of the additive package determines how long the oil is useful in operation, especially for Group III or less oils.

Take the following with a grain (or several grains) of salt:
http://www.technilube.com/faqs_info/synth_diff.php

http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=1378
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sholxgt

Always get the best information outside of the US.  In Europe, it is not legal to call what Castrol and Mobil sell here synthetic.  Castrol Edge and Mobil 1 in Europe are still derived from Group IV and V base stocks by law.  From what I understand, when you buy the VW and BMW specific Mobil 1, even in the US, you are getting a true synthetic.  Those manufactures specs require true synthetic oil.

This has to be taken with a grain of salt since it's on a competitor's Site, but I think this does a good job of telling the story of how we are all being duped by these fake synthetics...

http://www.synlube.com/synthetic.htm

PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

sholxgt

Quote from: AJP turbo on August 27, 2016, 12:31:31 PM
Quote from: AnotherGreenFusion on August 27, 2016, 12:25:06 PM

Amsoil OE = good - Group III base stock, not synthetic by definition outside of the US
Amsoil XL = better - Group III base stock, but with better additive package
Amsoil SS(signature series) = best - True synthetic

I agree with what you have above and added to it based on my research.  More than willing to amend if proven wrong.

AnotherGreenFusion

This all makes my head hurt!

I have some testing coming back on the AMSOil Euro Spec and will run through what I have left in my engine. After that maybe I will try BND's stuff. Or I might switch to signature though I am not sure how much of a difference there is in reality between the EuroSpec and Signature as I would assume both are PAO.

Through some of the links posted it sounds like Penzoil synth might be just fine?
'15 Fusion SE 2.0 AWD

PM me for AMSOil @ Cost

ZSHO

Quote from: AnotherGreenFusion on August 27, 2016, 10:01:27 PM
This all makes my head hurt!

I have some testing coming back on the AMSOil Euro Spec and will run through what I have left in my engine. After that maybe I will try BND's stuff. Or I might switch to signature though I am not sure how much of a difference there is in reality between the EuroSpec and Signature as I would assume both are PAO.

Through some of the links posted it sounds like Penzoil synth might be just fine?
Pennzoil ultra platinum seems to be a great choice IMO.  Z   http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/full-synthetic-motor-oils/pennzoil-ultra-platinum/_jcr_content/productDetails.stream/1460058460926/206444cb877e3961f436c35ca2fb4560ebc862ecd9e5be9cb14fa15e88aa7517/Pennzoil-Ultra-Platinum-5W-30.pdf          https://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-550038320-Ultra-Platinum-Synthetic/dp/B0123EL4G4/ref=pd_cart_bxgy_1_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8094H9G6EEQSKQ8KC7XN

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ZSHO

I found an oil analysis and comparisons between Mobil 1 [not]EP and Pennzoil Platinum [not] ultra,very interesting....a must on my list.  Z   

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Be careful which Pennzoil product you are using, Pennzoil Ultra is NOT the same as Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Pennzoil Platinum Plus.  Pennzoil Ultra was a higher quality product, not really available in the open market anymore.  I found a listing or two for $55 a 6pk but not sure if there is actual stock to back it up.  If you can find true  Pennzoil ULTRA, buy it and use it, if you dont want to go the Amsoil Signature route.

ZSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on August 28, 2016, 08:06:50 AM
Be careful which Pennzoil product you are using, Pennzoil Ultra is NOT the same as Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Pennzoil Platinum Plus.  Pennzoil Ultra was a higher quality product, not really available in the open market anymore.  I found a listing or two for $55 a 6pk but not sure if there is actual stock to back it up.  If you can find true  Pennzoil ULTRA, buy it and use it, if you dont want to go the Amsoil Signature route.
True indeed.  Z   

SHOdded

The platinum euro MIGHT be true synth.  Worth a look.

AnotherGreenFusion

The price difference on Penzoil ultra platinum is so huge compared to amsoil signature or euro spec. I want to change with increased intervals at least during the season since I track the car at least once a month. If this is really a good replacement for AMSOil then I am all about it. I am only running AMSOil now because it was what I ran in my Monte's and GPs.
'15 Fusion SE 2.0 AWD

PM me for AMSOil @ Cost