• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PAO Based Synthetic Motor Oil Options

Started by sholxgt, August 27, 2016, 11:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sholxgt

Because of store availability, I'm leaning toward Red Line.

How do these specs compare to others?  How about the NOACK number?

ACEA Service Class   A3 B3/B4
API Service Class   SN/SM/SL/CF
SAE Viscosity Grade (Motor Oil)   5W30
Vis @ 100°C, cSt   11.9
Vis @ 40°C, cSt   71
Viscosity Index   166
CCS Viscosity, Poise, @ °C   60@-30
Pour Point, °C   -45
Pour Point, °F   -49
NOACK Evaporation Loss,1hr @ 482°F (250°C), %   6
HTHS Vis, cP @150°C, ASTM D4741    3.7

I find this all interesting.  Thanks for the discussion all!
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

AJP turbo

Amsoil preferred membership is 20 bucks a year and then you get amsoil for 25% off retail....which puts signature series about 9 bucks a qt and delivered to your door in 3 days

And f you run the recommended change interval its not really anymore expensive than other brands
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

sholxgt

Quote from: AJP turbo on August 28, 2016, 07:34:35 PM
Amsoil preferred membership is 20 bucks a year and then you get amsoil for 25% off retail....which puts signature series about 9 bucks a qt and delivered to your door in 3 days

And f you run the recommended change interval its not really anymore expensive than other brands

Very good points!  From what I see, I would not pay the money for their non-Signature products, but the Signature series is an excellent option.

I run their fluid in the transmission in our Fit and could use some of their other products.  What does it usually take to get free shipping?  When I built an order, the shipping costs became a factor as they weren't cheap.
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

AnotherGreenFusion

Quote from: sholxgt on August 28, 2016, 07:39:04 PM

Very good points!  From what I see, I would not pay the money for their non-Signature products, but the Signature series is an excellent option.

I run their fluid in the transmission in our Fit and could use some of their other products.  What does it usually take to get free shipping?  When I built an order, the shipping costs became a factor as they weren't cheap.

Not sure you can get around the shipping costs, been a member for years and have always had to pay shipping even when buying multiple cases. Figure about $1-1.30 for shipping per quart.
'15 Fusion SE 2.0 AWD
CP-E Cold Side, Hot Side, αIntake, QKspl DP & RMM | Boomba Can | Cordova TB | Synapse Gen III BOV | Levels FMIC | 160* T-Stat | Steeda STB, Sway | Flatout 5700 | SCT by Unleashed/LMS 93v11

PM me for AMSOil @ Cost

SHOdded

Once you become a member, just wait for the specials to roll around.  Sometimes a $ amt, sometimes free shipping.

Redline specs look good, cant speak as to effectiveness tho (haven't looked for data).  Certainly worth a shot.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

I have honestly have tried all the above mentioned oils and it seems Amsoil to be on top of the food chain if your willing to pay the extra shipping costs and any applicable tax fees compounded by an annual 20.00 membership fee IDK considering Redline and Pennzoil oils are much cheaper especially Pennzoil which does have lower NOACK Volatility than Amsoil and based from this site its a very close match up between the three groups IMO...your car your choice your $$ and all 3 are certainly TOP quality oils.  Z  http://www.bestsynthetic.com/best-synthetic-motor-oil.shtml    BTW How much of the Amsoil are you going to consume within a one year subscription. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

sholxgt

Too bad that the good Pennzoil is no longer available.  It doesn't seem to me that their current offerings are in the same league as Amsoil or Redline.

As SHOdded pointed out, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is not up to the standards of what they used to provide with their Ultra.  It's sad how many suppliers are downgrading their offerings at the same time cars are needing better oils.  I went from Castrol Titanium to Pennzoil Ultra in our Fit when the base stock of Castrol changed.  My goal is to find the best oil for the money, but that's changing darn near every oil change these days.

Anyone find NOACK on Pennzoil Ultra Platinum?  They don't seem to list it anymore which is a red flag for me.

glock-coma

Quote from: sholxgt on August 28, 2016, 10:18:47 PM
Too bad that the good Pennzoil is no longer available.  It doesn't seem to me that their current offerings are in the same league as Amsoil or Redline.

As SHOdded pointed out, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is not up to the standards of what they used to provide with their Ultra.  It's sad how many suppliers are downgrading their offerings at the same time cars are needing better oils.  I went from Castrol Titanium to Pennzoil Ultra in our Fit when the base stock of Castrol changed.  My goal is to find the best oil for the money, but that's changing darn near every oil change these days.

Anyone find NOACK on Pennzoil Ultra Platinum?  They don't seem to list it anymore which is a red flag for me.
PDF for pup is in post 16. Noack is 11.5

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

AJP turbo

Quote from: ZSHO on August 28, 2016, 09:27:21 PM
BTW How much of the Amsoil are you going to consume within a one year subscription[/u]. Z

Probably only 1 oil change so if that's the case than you are right Z, maybe not worth the investment.....But I drink and bathe in that s*** lol

I use the trans fluid, gear oil for the RDU, PTU and I run the signature series oil in my wife's car which is direct injected turbo engine 10k between oil changes and all the fluids in here car are amsoil as well....I put signature series in my lawnmower and weed wacker and snow blower!
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

AnotherGreenFusion

Quote from: AJP turbo on August 28, 2016, 10:31:13 PM
Quote from: ZSHO on August 28, 2016, 09:27:21 PM
BTW How much of the Amsoil are you going to consume within a one year subscription. Z

Probably only 1 oil change so if that's the case than you are right Z, maybe not worth the investment.....But I drink and bathe in that s*** lol

I use the trans fluid, gear oil for the RDU, PTU and I run the signature series oil in my wife's car which is direct injected turbo engine 10k between oil changes and all the fluids in here car are amsoil as well....I put signature series in my lawnmower and weed wacker and snow blower!

Never thought about using it for the 2-strokes but I do use it everywhere. How does it do in the smaller engines?

Note you can get a 5 year subscription for $75. If you are buying into it for an extended period this can be the way to go.

I am happy to order for anyone at my cost, its takes just a moment to fill in the web form and take a paypal payment. The whole thing is setup to be Amway for men but nothing says you have to charge any markup if you dont want to.

Shoot me a PM if anyone wants some AMSOil and wants to save the subscription fee just to try it out. It's the least I can do for all the great info here.
'15 Fusion SE 2.0 AWD
CP-E Cold Side, Hot Side, αIntake, QKspl DP & RMM | Boomba Can | Cordova TB | Synapse Gen III BOV | Levels FMIC | 160* T-Stat | Steeda STB, Sway | Flatout 5700 | SCT by Unleashed/LMS 93v11

PM me for AMSOil @ Cost

sholxgt

Quote from: glock-coma on August 28, 2016, 10:24:35 PM
Quote from: sholxgt on August 28, 2016, 10:18:47 PM

PDF for pup is in post 16. Noack is 11.5

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T
Thanks Glock!  I missed that.  Oof...that's not so great.

SHOdded

Here's another oil for you to consider, a tad bit better specs than Redline:
http://mptindustries.com/mpt_products/automotive.htm

http://mptindustries.com/product_data/MPT_thirtyk_noack.pdf
http://mptindustries.com/product_data/MPT_thirtyk_hitemp.pdf

QuoteWhy are MPT Thirty-K Full Synthetic High Performance Motor Oils better than other synthetics?

MPT Thirty-K Full Synthetic High Performance Motor Oils are manufactured with ester and polyalphaolefin basestocks only. No Group I, II, or III basestocks are added. Additionally, we use no viscosity modifiers that can prematurely breakdown.

With a naturally high detergency and dispersants, extended drain intervals up to 30,000 miles are possible with MPT Thirty-K Motor Oils. For engines subjected to severe driving conditions such as stop and go driving, frequent short trips, turbo/super chargers, and performance modifications, we recommend no more than 15,000 miles between oil changes. Oil filters should be changed according to the manufacturer's recommendation.

Please note: MPT Thirty-K High Performance Motor Oils are formulated with a blend of ester and polyalphaolefin base stocks to achieve the proper viscosity. No viscosity modifier is added. During storage separation/settlement is expected. Please shake the container well before pouring.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

I really wanna try some straight zero super synthetic but am unsure of all the possible ramifications, especially at high load. Not to worried about part throttle since I already use 0 weight (when cold) oil.

SHOdded

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on August 29, 2016, 07:37:38 PM
Arent you running BND oil right now?
I was and I'm back to Amsoil only because I had a case in the garage I wanted to use up.