• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

LOR/OAR

Started by AJP turbo, March 13, 2016, 11:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJP turbo

For all the LOR / OAR  junkies(fomo), i did a little test...im not all that into it other than making sure its less than 0...but i dont want it too low...to me that means i have room to advance my spark curve because either i have good gas or my curve is too retarded.

Lor or oar is like a long term fuel trim but for the spark curve...and the knock sensors is like the short term fuel trim...your ltft will scale your fuel curve so the 02 sensors arent making large adjustments....a well tuned car will have ltft close to 0 and also stft close to 0...a large ltft value means your fuel curve needs work.....the further from 0 your LOR value is the more your spark curve needs work

I pulled 10 degrees timing everywhere(globally). Set my learned octane min value to -2...down from the stock value of -1.

After a short drive my octane adjust ratio or oar was -1.81

The idea of tuning to me is setting as much as i can in the tune so im not relying on adaptives and scaling from learned values...you want it as close as possible immediately after a flash

The further from 0 the lor value is means the ecu is scaling the spark because it thinks the tables are set up poorly or fuel is vastly different than what the original tune was set up for
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

So that validates what I've been saying, if you have more octane than the tune can use, changing the min and max will let you actually see it.

And apparently I am probably leaving some power on the table.

FoMoCoSHO

"The further from 0 the lor value is means the ecu is scaling the spark because it thinks the tables are set up poorly or fuel is vastly different than what the original tune was set up for"

If that is so then why is the stock tune at or close to -1 with 93 when you get the most power?

AJP turbo

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 14, 2016, 12:04:02 AM
"The further from 0 the lor value is means the ecu is scaling the spark because it thinks the tables are set up poorly or fuel is vastly different than what the original tune was set up for"

If that is so then why is the stock tune at or close to -1 with 93 when you get the most power?

Looks like the tables in the tune were set up for 91 octane...the tune calls it "octane number for borderline spark table"

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: AJP turbo on March 14, 2016, 12:16:52 AM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 14, 2016, 12:04:02 AM

Looks like the tables in the tune were set up for 91 octane...the tune calls it "octane number for borderline spark table"
Ok so "premium" to Ford is 91 octane, that makes sense since 93 isn't available everywhere

AJP turbo

Yes they put 91 in the stock tune for that number....ive only ever seen a couple cars reccomend 93 from the factory.

So how many nasty comments does my findings buy me?...id like to bank them when i want to degrade some people lol

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

SHOdded

Quote from: AJP turbo on March 14, 2016, 12:23:22 AMSo how many nasty comments does my findings buy me?...id like to bank them when i want to degrade some people lol
Sorry, you must have confused us with the EPA.  We don't issue carbon credits OR potty mouth credits.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

J-Will

What was the value prior to you making the changes?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

Scott4957

Thanks for testing that jerk! ;)
2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost, AJP Tuned

AJP turbo

Quote from: Scott4957 on March 14, 2016, 09:42:01 AM
Thanks for testing that jerk! ;)

Lol....my previous lor is usually in a he -.90 range

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

slurppie

Is it safe to assume that if we are seeing -1 with a 93 tune that the tune itself is more geared towards the "safe" side of things?

sent from my speak n' spell using tin cans and string

2013 w/PP
Synthetic blinker fluid
Ceramic muffler bearings

AJP turbo

Quote from: slurppie on March 14, 2016, 10:22:43 AM
Is it safe to assume that if we are seeing -1 with a 93 tune that the tune itself is more geared towards the "safe" side of things?

I would go with that statement.......although due to conditions i would say its normal to see a -1 lor and see the knock sensor adding and pulling spark

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on March 14, 2016, 04:08:34 AM
Quote from: AJP turbo on March 14, 2016, 12:23:22 AMSo how many nasty comments does my findings buy me?...id like to bank them when i want to degrade some people lol
Sorry, you must have confused us with the EPA.  We don't issue carbon credits OR potty mouth credits.
Maybe we need a EBPF swear jar?

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: SHOdded on March 14, 2016, 04:08:34 AM
That was AWESOME!
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

J-Will

Quote from: slurppie on March 14, 2016, 10:22:43 AM

while 'safe side' may be accurate, I would argue that this gives head room for typical variables. While 93 may not be available everywhere could be a valid reason, I would mention that not every driver is going to use top tier gas (regardless of octane). 
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap