• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

LOR/OAR

Started by AJP turbo, March 13, 2016, 11:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ecoboostsho

So I've ready this a couple of times and have some questions.  First thank you for experimenting with this!  I had a turbo replaced recently and since then (maybe it's a coincidence?) i've been fighting my LOR (I run the 93 V10 tune from Livernois).  I was always aiming to have it at -1 thinking that was the "best" it could be.  Right now it is at -.4.  It gets this way due to part throttle knock under light loads - I'll see repeated knock and then it will do its thing adjust accordingly.  I was getting irritated though because I was under the impression that this meant I would be getting less than "full timing/power" at WOT.  However, from looking at 2 different logs - one with LOR at -1 and another at my current -.4 I honestly don't see any difference in WOT boost and/or timing with the same IAT2's.  Does that mean I'm in good shape at WOT?  Does the LOR even affect WOT or does the car just rely on the knock sensor.  I get zero knock right now at WOT and honestly I wouldn't mind a degree or 2 just to know I'm on the edge of the tune...

Or am I just overthinking it?  It runs great for what it is worth!!
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

AJP turbo

Wot wont change oar....but the spark curve is increased or decreased with the oar value.

Im not exactly sure how it works entirely yet but i think once oar is below -.250 no further scaling takes place...so basically -.250 is the same as -1

But on the positive side.  Above .250 on up to 1 there is a big difference in the spark applied...basically the ecu is capping how much can be added when oar is negative but no how much can be retarded when oar is positive....safety net....all that can be changed though
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOdded

Go back to V8 and see if the LOR/OAR changes, EBSHO.  If it does, it's likely something the tune is doing.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ecoboostsho

I may do just that to see what is going on if anything at all.  I am going to go through another tank of gas and verify it isn't that. 

AJP - appreciate the insights.  Honestly as long as I'm getting max timing at WOT I don't really care if my LOR is "perfect" then.  Thanks!
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)

AJP turbo

Quote from: ecoboostsho on May 16, 2016, 03:46:14 PM
I may do just that to see what is going on if anything at all.  I am going to go through another tank of gas and verify it isn't that. 

AJP - appreciate the insights.  Honestly as long as I'm getting max timing at WOT I don't really care if my LOR is "perfect" then.  Thanks!

No problem,,,id say as long as oar is below -.250 you are...unless some has altered the stock octane strategy which i doubt

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

ecoboostsho

I got her all straightened back out.  I was giving everything the once over and since my turbo had failed I cleaned up all the pooled oil in the intake/intercooler/PVC seperator and that did seem to help a little but the real culprit was less than stellar gas!  I had gone to a different BP station then the one I typically used (although I have used it before without issue).  Anyway I filled up with fresh 93 at my usual station with a splash E85 (E15 total) and the LOR shot back up to 100 within about 5 miles of driving.  Problem solved and guess the car is pretty sensitive to questionable gas.

Brucelinc

Good news!  I wonder if the winter gas was a factor.  Anyway, time to take it to the track!

SHOdded

Glad it was just the fuel!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

WickedSHO

Ecoboostsho, I think I am fighting the same problem as you or it could be my lack f knowledge on this subject.

So when I originally added the LOR gauge in Torque, I had been getting a reading of -1.0. But recently I have watched it go down to -.67 and it seems to now have leveled of at -.47. Would you guys assume that I something is wrong or am I good.

Also, I did noticed that I was getting some high spark knock number, as high at +4.0. So I recently switched out my spark plugs, with a proper gap and I have seem at WOT as high as +1.5, but I am getting more negative numbers now.

I am running the LME V10 tune.  What are your guy's thought's?
2014 SHO Ignot Silver. MDesign CF Intake, 3 BAR MAP, 160 T-Stat, LMS 93 OCT V8 tune.

AJP turbo

You are not getting spark knock. You are getting ignition retard to avoid spark knock.

As long as you are below -.250 for the OAR value i wouldnt worry

An isolated knock sensor of 3 or 4 will happen on a stock tune also

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

WickedSHO

Are LOR and OAR the same gauge in torque?
2014 SHO Ignot Silver. MDesign CF Intake, 3 BAR MAP, 160 T-Stat, LMS 93 OCT V8 tune.

AJP turbo

I dont know about torque but LOR and OAR are the same thing

Octane adjust ratio
Learned octane ratio

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

ecoboostsho

They are the same in torque as they are custom gauges. You can use either name...

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk