• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Livernois Tune Madness on "Winter Blend"

Started by 14SHOCAR, January 26, 2016, 02:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Livernois Motorsports

So then why not stick to factual/helpful posting, like we do? That is what companies do...help. We have never shied away from an issue. We have never shied away from helping another company's clients either. You are just taking slanderous slights at us. We are more than happy to have you HELP in the thread, but we will not allow someone to barraide the company nor our clients. You are the only one that is arguing the validity of the lack of quality of fueling in the winter months. Why is that? Why is it that all of our competitors often refer/differ clients to us because of our expertise, yet you feel it necessary to do the antithesis?

As for spotless, we have not failed a client's car. I think that a record like ours is deemed spotless.

bpd1151

Livernois Motorsports

ZSHO

I have put over 36,000 miles since purchasing my car new back on 8/13 and have   drove through so many states and N.J for the most part has crap gas and no E-85 fuel and no Chevron gas stations,plainly 93 octane is not the same everywhere you go,so its important to choose the best octane available locally and use a well frequent,high turn around gas station,makes you wonder why many people experience poor mpg.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

So far, this winter, I have found BP 87 to work splendidly in my '07 Edge.  Previously, the only fuel that had worked flawlessly at this time of year had been from this one particular Exxon station.  No idea on the blending at either station, but they are high volume stations for sure.  Wouldn't go to a low volume station, even if it's top tier, unless forced to.

Fuel quality does make a significant difference in driveability.  I wonder though if enough can be inferred from the ACT to keep the vehicle operating smoothly throughout the rev range, albeit with a slight drop in hp/tq, especially as the EB engines obviously adapt to fuel quality as demonstrated in the LOR.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on January 27, 2016, 05:27:16 PM
So then why not stick to factual/helpful posting, like we do? That is what companies do...help. We have never shied away from an issue. We have never shied away from helping another company's clients either. You are just taking slanderous slights at us. We are more than happy to have you HELP in the thread, but we will not allow someone to barraide the company nor our clients. You are the only one that is arguing the validity of the lack of quality of fueling in the winter months. Why is that? Why is it that all of our competitors often refer/differ clients to us because of our expertise, yet you feel it necessary to do the antithesis?

As for spotless, we have not failed a client's car. I think that a record like ours is deemed spotless.

Being that i am an independent i do not have to be diplomatic or post with taste..i do what is fun.....and i havent barraided you yet lol i prefer keeping the good stuff i know about others private.

Most people here, due to being uneducated in tuning, perceive the lack of a refined tune as a fuel quality problem that manifests itself as knock....which can happen. ..but from what ive seen these engines dont like to vary much from the stock spark tables...maybe we can get together and go over some datalogs and i can show u a one tune fits all for extreme temp swings...or maybe i just have some super gas where i live
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

A couple of suggestions....

Put you oem intake back on...I know, blasphemy right?

Consider though that since the fuel system is already stressed ...coupled with denser cold air and fuel that already has oxygen in it the intake could be creating lean situations, especially during fast WOT transients. If you are adding E-85 this will only make it worse as you are carrying even more O2 in the fuel.

Also, if you are in a fuel challenged area you may want to consider hitting up BND Brian for some ACES IV. I've had success with it and I'm running my current E-20 tune which is a couple revisions hotter since my last strip run.  I know DX has also been able to run his v93 tune on 91 Cali crap gas without issue, so maybe it would be worth the 80 bucks for a quart to get you through winter. It goes a long way as you're only using 2-3 OZ per fillup.

There are 12 states that have winter fuel volatility that is lower than the Fed standard. Maybe we can spot a pattern...

http://www.epa.gov/gasoline-standards/state-fuels

As usual YMMV.

bamsho

Also look at what years the cars, xsport are dealing with. My '12 never had any winter issues, but my '13 does.  I think has the old parts parts transfered over, so the only difference is the ECU.  It's that gas, plain and simple.  I beat my head against the wall trying to figure out my trouble and finally came to the verdict of crap winter gas.   Not sure where you live Black, but do a search to see if there any non ethanol stations around you and try some. ATP, find a hole and crawl in it, you sure aren't helping any, not sure why you are so hell bent on bashing Livernois,  but grow up.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

SHOdded

Guys, it's important to try and stay civil, please!  The OP stated his opinion that the issue is occurring with the Livernois tune, maybe it is with other tuners also.  We don't know.  Ask them and their views on the matter directly.

Why is better fuel more important to the 13+?  The question is, I think, a chicken-and-egg question.  Ok, so we "fix" the issue with summer fuel.  But is that a "band-aid" (albeit working) solution?  Is there a flaw in the 13 PCM programming, or are the sensors being used with different parameters (tighter), or ...?  The reason it is important to make the distinction is that, for example, in days of yore, engines designed to run on 87 would start to ping or knock.  The common DIY solution was to use a higher-grade gasoline (89, 91, 93, etc), whatever it took to stop that ping/knock.  Rather than actually fix the problem, which might be dirty carb/FI, or valves or timing belt etc.  One simple test is for the owner to run a known good fuel in the wintertime as many have suggested, to see if the problem disappears.  Maybe a VP/racing fuel even.  We can all chip in and help fund this type of test.  Stock tune vs aftermaket tune.  We still won't directly know how the PCM is handling the data flow, though.

The tunes are hard to fault, but no vendor is infallible, "learning" experiences are inevitable.  Asking questions, pushing boundaries is what we are all here for.  Sometimes we will find an answer, sometimes we won't.  And that's OK.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

I thought the OP would be more engaged in wanting to know the probability in finding a solution,think he hasnt been active since starting this post on page one,think he's just sitting back with a box of popcorn and enjoying the SHO,makes you wonder. Btw his issues started right after mixing some E85 in the mix correct? To the OP HOW MUCH E85 did you add initially??

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ZSHO on January 28, 2016, 07:54:33 AM
I thought the OP would be more engaged in wanting to know the probability in finding a solution,think he hasnt been active since starting this post on page one,think he's just sitting back with a box of popcorn and enjoying the SHO,makes you wonder. Btw his issues started right after mixing some E85 in the mix correct?  Z
Yeah, it would be nice to know if he's still mixing.

However, 1.5 gallons put it right at the 15% threshold.

I really only see it causing an issue if he had a bunch of water in the tank the E grabbed.

Without any logs or any other kind of supporting data we're basically peeing up a rope here.

FoMoCoSHO

Here's some interesting data from the EPA applications for the 3.5 GTDI

http://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=22234&flag=1

Fuel Injector Signal from PCM Fuel flow N/A Static Flow Rate: 163.2 +/- 4.9 g/min
Regulated Fuel Pressure Signal from PCM Fuel pressure N/A 65 psi
Fuel Pump Signal from PCM Fuel Flow N/A Flow: Max. 145 LPH @ 12V/400 kPa
(SAE Net Standard Conditions)

http://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=29137&flag=1

Fuel Injector Signal from PCM Fuel Flow N/A Static Flow Rate: 923.5 +/- 46.2 g/min
Regulated Fuel Pressure Signal from PCM Fuel Pressure N/A N/A - SMRFS
Fuel Flow N/A Nom. Flow Rate:253 L/H (400kpa-12V)

Looks to be a pretty large difference in injector and LPFP flow rate...

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on January 28, 2016, 08:02:30 AMYeah, it would be nice to know if he's still mixing.

However, 1.5 gallons put it right at the 15% threshold.

That is only assuming the tank was full. Since the OP has yet to contribute we do not know. I would hazard to guess that the tank was not full. Hence, we have greater fueling issues.

SHOddded, you are 110% correct about keeping it above board. That is why we are asking posting to do two things:

A, BE HELPFUL
B, Keep the 2 topics that have been posted about separate. The XSport and the SHO are 2 different vehicles that are experiencing 2 different things.

The SHO is a fueling failure that is user created. I think that all of the posters using logic all agree there. Whereas the XSport has plugs that are at the end of their suggested lifespan. We recommend changing those plugs every around 15k miles. The black smoke at downshift when running highway speeds can be attributed to the same thing. The reasoning for siting the plugs as part of the problem (along with fueling) is the black smoke comes from...fuel. We have explained this to Mike (prior to this thread) that we recommend running V3 during the winter months. Version 4 for the XSport, just like V9 for the SHO, is as aggressive of a tune as we will release. This being the case, when you meet quirks with inferior fueling lower the tune. That does not require logging. That is fairly straightforward. To log and take away from the V4 or V9 tuning you are only encroaching upon making it V3 or V8 for the SHO. This being the case, why not run the proven tune? There were no issues with the tune. We get that it is hard to back off of the power fix, but we will always recommend what we know is proven and safe. We will never recommend anything that will hurt your vehicle.

jbeez

Quote from: ZSHO on January 27, 2016, 05:32:58 PM
I have put over 36,000 miles since purchasing my car new back on 8/13 and have   drove through so many states and N.J for the most part has crap gas and no E-85 fuel and no Chevron gas stations,plainly 93 octane is not the same everywhere you go,so its important to choose the best octane available locally and use a well frequent,high turn around gas station,makes you wonder why many people experience poor mpg.  Z

twinsies! looool took delivery of my car aug of 2013 and its a 2014 SHO, I have about 32,300mi on it right now. :)   I'm in PA, right now I'm using either Shell or Sunoco 93, I wish Sunoco still sold 94 :(
2014 PP SHO Darkside Metallic
K&N Panel filter, 3bar map, AJPTurbo tune, Motorcraft SP542 @.28, MSD Coils, PPE Catted downpipes, EBP Hot pipes w/ tial BOV, Tracy Lewis catch can, 170 tstat, 93 octane pump gas

ZSHO

Quote from: jbeez on January 28, 2016, 10:12:49 AM
Quote from: ZSHO on January 27, 2016, 05:32:58 PM

twinsies! looool took delivery of my car aug of 2013 and its a 2014 SHO, I have about 32,300mi on it right now. :)   I'm in PA, right now I'm using either Shell or Sunoco 93, I wish Sunoco still sold 94 :(
Thats funny,considering your car is stock hows she behaving with the winter blend fuel,any difference compared to the summer blend fuel? any issues of any kind? thanx  Z