• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Livernois Tune Madness on "Winter Blend"

Started by 14SHOCAR, January 26, 2016, 02:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJP turbo

Wow.....Black Jack you should not be blowing any smoke or experience any hesitation...That seems to be symptoms of a car that is running like crap.

If you have to use restraint with the pedal because of winter fuel I would want my money back for a tune that costs top dollar...Not hating just saying.

I have yet to see high levels of knock with winter fuel here in Pa

Biggest problem so far, and it's not really that big of a problem is slightly less fuel pressure when temps are below 15 degrees F. due to air density and needing more fuel to ahieve desired lambda. At 18 psi in 10 degrees fuel pressure is below 1000 psi below 4k rpms and car maintained AFR just fine, no knocking no hesitation no popping....I have yet to have or see a problem with logs due to winter fuel
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

BlackJac

Quote from: ajpturbo on January 27, 2016, 12:17:09 PM
Wow.....Black Jack you should not be blowing any smoke or experience any hesitation...That seems to be symptoms of a car that is running like crap.

Thing is, punch it from a dead stop and it's fine. Only have issues during hard throttle/ trans kick-down at higher speeds.
2017 Fusion Sport - 401A/ Moonroof/ Magnetic Grey/ Livernois Motorsports 93 Stage 3

2015 Explorer Sport  - SOLD

Modded 1980 Corvette https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SUDndpy8bw

ZSHO

Quote from: BlackJac on January 27, 2016, 12:58:22 PM

Thing is, punch it from a dead stop and it's fine. Only have issues during hard throttle/ trans kick-down at higher speeds.
I would just make sure there's no visible sign of oil on the turbo lines,especially the rear by the firewall, Blackjac how long have you noticed the black smoke?.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

BlackJac

Quote from: ZSHO on January 27, 2016, 02:35:23 PM
Quote from: BlackJac on January 27, 2016, 12:58:22 PM

I would just make sure there's no visible sign of oil on the turbo lines,especially the rear by the firewall, Blackjac how long have you noticed the black smoke?.  Z

The black smoke only happened a couple times when I had a bad hesitation during the kickdown, then throttle kicked in and blew the black smoke out the exhaust. Hard kickdown at higher speeds isn't something I do all the time, but when I do I noticed this issue. Any other driving condition it runs fine.

No oil leaks in the driveway, or at last oil change I did at 15,000 miles, which I checked the entire underside on my lift.
2017 Fusion Sport - 401A/ Moonroof/ Magnetic Grey/ Livernois Motorsports 93 Stage 3

2015 Explorer Sport  - SOLD

Modded 1980 Corvette https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SUDndpy8bw

AJP turbo

It should never smoke like that

Sorry to say but that is BS when livernois says you need to have some restraint in the winter and not drive so aggressively...that may sound like im picking on lms....and even though i like to pick on them the fact that they say that is garbage for what their tune and device cost...i would expect better....and better can be had as far as cold weather driving

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

SHOdded

Check the plugs to see if they are wet or smell of fuel after an incident occurs.  May have fuel injector issues.  I know, I know, too early, but ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

black99lightning

Quote from: SHOnUup on January 27, 2016, 06:45:06 AM
Have a local buddy who was experiencing a little "breaking up" during WOT at high rpms...finally got him to load the 91 V9 tune. All is fine on that file........

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

But going to a lower octane tune would lose some power, so it kind of defeats the purpose?
2013 Esport 13.44 @ 103.6
1999 Lightning 12.44 @ 108.4
2012 GT500 10.96 @ 130.6
2006 GTO 12.83 @ 107.8
2013 CTSV coupe 11.79 @ 119.7

black99lightning

Quote from: BlackJac on January 27, 2016, 07:18:46 AM
Yeah, I have a similar issue, but only when on the highway (60-80 mph), and do a hard kick-down to pass. It bogs down a couple seconds, blow out some black smoke, then starts to get moving. This started with 93 performance V4 on my 2015 XSport. Never had this issue with V3. Stock plugs were gapped at 2000 miles to .030", now at 18000 miles.

Straight line acceleration is fine.

I was told winter blend and try dropping the tune down to 91 perf v4.

I just switched to 91 perf v4 and it did it to me again. I'm going to try this one a little longer to see if it keeps doing it, then switch back to 93 perf v3 and see how it is.

I have always run the same (busy) station 93 Shell fuel.

On top of it, I have also been having issues with my tuner "programming interrupted, return to factory settings" (which takes about 6 tries to get to. Just received my 3rd tuner (first 2 had the same issue) which has worked going to the 91 tune without issue so far. Anthony has been great with helping me out with the tuner issue.

Same issue with ours.  I had them resend me V3 tune.  That was after I changed plugs and put a can of Torco in it to no avail.
2012 GT500 10.96 @ 130.6
2006 GTO 12.83 @ 107.8

black99lightning

If you have to use restraint with the pedal because of winter fuel I would want my money back for a tune that costs top dollar...Not hating just saying.

I have yet to see high levels of knock with winter fuel here in Pa

Biggest problem so far, and it's not really that big of a problem is slightly less fuel pressure when temps are below 15 degrees F. due to air density and needing more fuel to ahieve desired lambda. At 18 psi in 10 degrees fuel pressure is below 1000 psi below 4k rpms and car maintained AFR just fine, no knocking no hesitation no popping....I have yet to have or see a problem with logs due to winter fuel

All the updates are free.
2012 GT500 10.96 @ 130.6
2006 GTO 12.83 @ 107.8

Livernois Motorsports

AJ,

Can we keep it clean please? We did not insult your tuning genius. Please do not insult our capabilities. You put a bounty out on our tune, no? That would make it seem that the premium is worth it...if not, why the interest?

Livernois Motorsports

The Explorer is a completely different ball of wax when compared to the SHO in the OP. We really should keep the two separated. Even you cannot argue that the fuel that is available in the winter months is inferior in quality to what is readily available throughout the remainder of the year. With all of the other additives how do the law of thermodynamics not apply anymore? Things like E85, E10, C4H10 and other fuels all have different chemical properties, and these would obviously lend to different reactions. These differences WILL lead to quirks in performance VS the warmer months.

SHOnUup

Quote from: black99lightning on January 27, 2016, 03:43:46 PM
Quote from: SHOnUup on January 27, 2016, 06:45:06 AM
Have a local buddy who was experiencing a little "breaking up" during WOT at high rpms...finally got him to load the 91 V9 tune. All is fine on that file........

But going to a lower octane tune would lose some power, so it kind of defeats the purpose?
I've talked with many Torrie tuned guys that have lower tune files for when the temp drops below a certain degree also.

From reading posts here for some time, seems quite a few people have been running lower tune files in the winter for precautionary reasons for years.

I truly don't think we can expect a tune that is pushing the fuel limits in good conditions with better fuel to be the same tune we use during winter with a lesser fuel and them COLD temps.

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

AJP turbo

Its actually really easy to compensate for aircharge temp...no reason to have a winter tune and summer tune...just lazy tuning if u ask me...its not much to ask really

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

Livernois Motorsports

You failed to answer the questions...that seems like rather lazy posting.

Taking cheap shots at us is not furthering the thread, nor is it helping anyone. We will not engage in any slander back and forth with you or anyone else. We let our extremely long and spotless record and the records that we set speak for themselves. If you would like to share your prowess with the community feel free.

If you wish to only try to show how much better you are than us produce world records, we did.

AJP turbo

Something doesnt seem so spotless at the moment...good point i dont intend to build my daily driven taurus to world record levels so you got me there

Actually i do share numerical values on a regular basis to help the community.

And i did just point out where to look and how easily compensations are for cold climate without needing separate  tunes

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress