• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2013 Taurus SHO PP brake issue

Started by SMITHN10SHO, January 09, 2016, 10:51:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMITHN10SHO

I purchased my SHO a tad over a year ago and have had no issues thus far. It had 21,000 miles on it from its previous owner and I have put 11,000 on it so far. Monday, on a routine 5 minute drive that I typically take two times a day I was greeted with a horrible burning smell as I exited the car. I looked around and noticed smoke billowing out from the driver side rear wheel well. The brake disc was extremely hot, enough to burn skin in a split second. I suspected that the brake locked on the short drive, so I depressed the brake fully and released fully a few times to see if that was enough to release it. I looked again and it appeared to be normal. I decided to take the short drive again to see if I had a repeat and to my surprise I did not. I then decided that I could make it back home and then attack the problem on the weekend. Well, my buddy and I took part the brake to see if I could clean it up and diagnose the issue. We found that the outer pad was fine and looked normal while the inner pad had actually broken into two pieces. We then decided to check the rest of the brakes and see what the rest looked like. The same pattern of outer pad looking normal and inner either starting to break apart or broken. I am assuming these are the original pads that came with the car, so am I wrong to think that they should be lasting a lot longer than 32,000 miles? Has anyone else seen their pads deteriorate like this? I am quite agitated with this issue and hoping it was a bad lot number or just bad pads. The rest of the brake system looked fine and didn't show signs of malfunction, just rusty rotors and terrible pads. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for any and all help! I also have pictures of the pads if that helps.
Noah Smith
2013 Taurus SHO w/ PP
VTA Mod/PCV pipe delete
Denso ITV22 Plugs @ .033
AEM Dryflow/Stock box Mod

derfdog15

I haven't had any issues with my 15, but it only has 1100 miles on it. I know a few members have had issues and have had brake pads/rotors replaced under warranty. Other members have replaced everything with EBC red pads and power stop rotors
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

SHOdded

OEM pads/rotors can be problematic.  Better luck with EBC and Powerstop (for the street) as mentioned above.  Track use dictates a different setup entirely.

It is a fairly common problem for the rear pads, especially the inners, to show up as "defective"/"weak".  Happens on the Edge as well.  I believe this is due to the way Electronic Brake Distribution works, and the fact that the rears also carry the burden of being emergency/parking brakes.  Brake lines & hoses have not been an issue on this platform, AFAIK.  BUT, if you check the calipers, check the slide pins and pistons for rust/scoring.  That may be the actual culprit.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

Sounds like an isolated issue...I've done quite a few stops from 140mph with my stock PP brakes. Mine is a 14'
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOdded

Is it possible the brakes were nonPP?  Maybe they were replaced by the previous owner.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SMITHN10SHO

Thanks for all the replies!

The Pistons look good, just some brake dust build up and the pins look great too. The previous owner could have replaced them, but I doubt it just because of the low miles. Unless I am mistaken don't brakes usually have about 50,000 miles on them? I have easily put 30,000 on pads before without needing to change them. I have some EBC rotors and yellowstuff pads on order ( money which I didn't want to spend) to make sure I get a fresh start. I do live in Germany and the weather here is mainly rainy, and the car sits exposed all year because I don't have a garage or carport. Do you think that could have anything to do with it? I used to live in Missouri and Wisconsin and didn't have any pads breakdown like these ones.
Noah Smith
2013 Taurus SHO w/ PP
VTA Mod/PCV pipe delete
Denso ITV22 Plugs @ .033

SMITHN10SHO

One thing I saw was the right front outer pad was worn roughly 50% more than the left side. But all outer pads looked like they were wearing normally. I will upload pictures when I can get them off the iPhone and on my laptop.
Noah Smith
2013 Taurus SHO w/ PP
VTA Mod/PCV pipe delete
Denso ITV22 Plugs @ .033

AJP turbo

I bet they are garbage replacement pads...my PP fronts are only going to last me about 18k
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

RAYJAY

I'm on 22,000 on my 13 pp now,will replace the pads this spring no mater what mileage i have on the car,

mileage is only one factor on brake pads for wear, heat cycle, age, are 2 other factors on wear of pads or  brake discs,

i never in my life got 50,000 miles out of a set of brakes, and I'm old.......
2013 GREEN GEM METALLIC 402A PP PACKAGE

SMITHN10SHO

Good to know, so maybe the life of the pads was the issue. I am including the pictures to show just what i am working with. these are the outer pads.
Noah Smith
2013 Taurus SHO w/ PP
VTA Mod/PCV pipe delete
Denso ITV22 Plugs @ .033

SMITHN10SHO

Noah Smith
2013 Taurus SHO w/ PP
VTA Mod/PCV pipe delete
Denso ITV22 Plugs @ .033

SMITHN10SHO

Noah Smith
2013 Taurus SHO w/ PP
VTA Mod/PCV pipe delete
Denso ITV22 Plugs @ .033

SHOdded

There they are, boils & carbuncles and all!  Yikes!  How long was this car sitting on the lot before you bought it, BTW?

Here's a pic of what the EBC pad looks like on the front for the 2010-12:

top = non-PP, bottom = PP
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,5251.msg83737.html#msg83737

Motorcraft Rear Disc Brake Pad BR-1377B

SHOdded

ZSHO

To the OP what buildate is your car??could be a bad batch of pads for that month period 11/12 because mine were replaced under warranty at 22k but did not look like a piece of well done spare rib,mine had more of a meduim well pigment with signs of the pad material shoing decomposition and deterioration,think this isolated issue might be more common than we all might think.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|