• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

AMSOIL

Started by moem1090, December 02, 2015, 07:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moem1090

Hey guys, I'm sure this is something that has been talked about before and a lot but I just wanted to get some of your inputs. I have actually being using Motul synthetic oil for my car and it has been excellent! I tried amsoil for the first time after setting up an account and I used their 5w-20 signature series (the one they say 25k miles which I would never do) Its been 5,600 miles so far and that oil is dark! I want to give the brand another chance so ill probably do another oil change very very soon. What has anyone who has used amsoil experience been? I am wondering if its the application of the sho, or the grade or something else maybe.
2013 Roush Stage 3: Supercharged & Ready to Go Fast
2010 SHO - Daily: Corsa Cat-Back, Roush CAI, LME Downpipes, LME 3-Bar, LME Thermostat, LME Tune 4+

nickstewartroc

I am also using Amsoil, same one as you and at 2600 miles it is damn dark!
Current:
2013 Ruby Red Flex Limited EcoBoost, Unleashed Tuned, drop in filter

Gone but not forgotten: 2011 SHO Non-PP in Black Tuxedo Metallic - Catback, DPs, Stoptech Z23s, MDesign CAI, LMS Tune

AJP turbo

Quote from: moem1090 on December 02, 2015, 07:06:02 PM
Hey guys, I'm sure this is something that has been talked about before and a lot but I just wanted to get some of your inputs. I have actually being using Motul synthetic oil for my car and it has been excellent! I tried amsoil for the first time after setting up an account and I used their 5w-20 signature series (the one they say 25k miles which I would never do) Its been 5,600 miles so far and that oil is dark! I want to give the brand another chance so ill probably do another oil change very very soon. What has anyone who has used amsoil experience been? I am wondering if its the application of the sho, or the grade or something else maybe.

Oil color is the absolute dumbest way to evaluate oil...in 1939 it may have been a good method....they say 25k miles because they are way smarter than you...motul synthetic is probably fake synthetic hydrocracked group iii garbage..and the sho would fall under severe duty so amsoil has a mileage requirement for that...usually its half of what the full drain interval is..

Anyone that wants to talk oil quality should do themselves a favor and reference used oil analysis if they did one...otherwise i would keep the pie hole shut lol

Ive said it before but it needs repeated...amsoil signature series is true synthetic...group iv/v base stock...its different than your off the shelf fake synthetic...there are only a few like it

Sever duty for amsoil ss is 15k btw...i wouldnt be afraid to run 10k in our cars...thats without UOA...closer to 15k id be more comfortable once i saw a uoa result
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOnUup

I'd be willing to bet the Amsoil is cleaning up what was left behind by the previous oil.

Best bet would be to have an oil analysis done to see exactly what's going on. I've read many stories of the Amsoil cleaning out the prior stuff giving a mediocre first oil sample...then the tests get better as the Amsoil does its job.

These Ecoboost are notorious for fuel dilution also. I'd max out around the 7 - 8k mile interval for daily driving.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

nickstewartroc

I do intend on having an oil analysis done, thinking about doing it at 7500 just to be on the safe side and see what I hear back, will post results, but won't be for a while
Current:
2013 Ruby Red Flex Limited EcoBoost, Unleashed Tuned, drop in filter

Gone but not forgotten: 2011 SHO Non-PP in Black Tuxedo Metallic - Catback, DPs, Stoptech Z23s, MDesign CAI, LMS Tune

ZSHO

Check out this video and hopefully it will give you an inside pespective.  Z         https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U719Xaix6MM

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

AJP turbo

Oh my effing god that was hard to watch...thats a good video for a 3rd grader...that guy forgot to mention how Badly motorcraft oil shears in such a short time...and im talking about their best...the claimed full synthetic garbage

My track pack coyote mustang requires 5w-50 by ford...they did that because the motorcraft full synthetic oil shears over 30% in a couple thousand miles putting it at a 35 weight which is still acceptable..so they gave themselves some headroom by making the oil overly viscous

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

panther427

Yes oil color really doesn't mean anything. Some oils are darker new than others. Some oils clean better getting darker but they are still good oil with plenty of add packs left. Depending on which Motul he is using it can be group 4 or 5.   The two most common brands that are ground 4 or 5 are amsoil amd redline. Then the possibility German or Belgium Castrol and certain Mobil 1 products contain some group 4 or 5. But know percentages.
Then the specific European oils that must comply with German synthetic oil laws.

2013 SHO

FoMoCoSHO

I'm testing a custom oil called quantum blue but I personally wouldn't run anything less than amsoil in a car I planned to keep for a long time. Its the real deal.

Rich is a dealer in the vendor section, fyi.

ecoboostsho

I just purchased 5 quarts of Amsoil from Rich ( had one already)...went in the car this morning.
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

SHOdded

Quote from: ecoboostsho on December 04, 2015, 03:00:40 PM
I just purchased 5 quarts of Amsoil from Rich ( had one already)...went in the car this morning.
Nice!  Enjoy :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

moem1090

Okay guys let me start off by saying that in comparison to the other oil I previously ran it got dark much quicker and it burned half a quart quicker.
Sure it can be cleaning out the previous oil which I hope BUT I have ran Motul for a few intervals and it has been the best oil I've used and is in no way a fake synthetic like ajpturbo suggested. It never burned.

Well I just ordered more amsoil so we'll see how the second run goes.
2010 SHO - Daily: Corsa Cat-Back, Roush CAI, LME Downpipes, LME 3-Bar, LME Thermostat, LME Tune 4+

moem1090

Quote from: SHOnUup on December 02, 2015, 09:10:26 PM

These Ecoboost are notorious for fuel dilution also. I'd max out around the 7 - 8k mile interval for daily driving.

I know man, just the other day I ran my car through a touchless wash, parked it up, vacuumed a bit, and all of a sudden I smelt gas and noticed a crap load of smoke coming out of the exhaust. After a few minutes it cleared up and no lights on the dash or performance issues. Just felt bad for all who had to breath that air around me lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

AJP turbo

Quote from: moem1090 on December 09, 2015, 12:52:03 PM
Okay guys let me start off by saying that in comparison to the other oil I previously ran it got dark much quicker and it burned half a quart quicker.
Sure it can be cleaning out the previous oil which I hope BUT I have ran Motul for a few intervals and it has been the best oil I've used and is in no way a fake synthetic like ajpturbo suggested. It never burned.

Well I just ordered more amsoil so we'll see how the second run goes.

There really isnt any hard facts in your post....you saying motul is the best you have ever used really doesnt mean anything....hard to believe amsoil burned ....considering it has one of the lowest noack volatility ratings on the market....that is a fact you can research but not argue....im really not sure if motul is a true synthetic....do you know what group that oil is....how do you know?...have you seen it?

I prefer the third party testing and data that is readily available for amsoil products along with specifications....if you like choosing oil and basing performance on color....go ahead but i prefer numbers from testing

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

The fact that it got dark quicker means its doing its job better than motul. Oil is supposed to pick up contaminates and move it to the filter. Its cleaning all the crap the Motul left behind.