• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

AMSOIL

Started by moem1090, December 02, 2015, 07:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJP turbo

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on December 09, 2015, 01:17:41 PM
The fact that it got dark quicker means its doing its job better than motul. Oil is supposed to pick up contaminates and move it to the filter. Its cleaning all the crap the Motul left behind.

Lol at all the crap the motul left behind..

Anyway, motul is a high qaulity product i just dont know if its group  Iv/ V like amsoil is....if it is good....but group 4/5 oil is really in a class by itself and you realize it once you educate yourself on it
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

What version of Motul were you using?

Personally I wouldn't put less than a 30 weight in these cars. I suspect there is a good reason it switched from 5-20 in gen 4.1 to 5-30 in 4.2.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ajpturbo on December 09, 2015, 01:21:02 PM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on December 09, 2015, 01:17:41 PM
The fact that it got dark quicker means its doing its job better than motul. Oil is supposed to pick up contaminates and move it to the filter. Its cleaning all the crap the Motul left behind.

Lol at all the crap the motul left behind..

Anyway, motul is a high qaulity product i just dont know if its group  Iv/ V like amsoil is....if it is good....but group 4/5 oil is really in a class by itself and you realize it once you educate yourself on it
Motul has what they call 3.5, IV, and V depending on which oil it is.

moem1090

Quote from: ajpturbo on December 09, 2015, 01:08:45 PM
Quote from: moem1090 on December 09, 2015, 12:52:03 PM
Okay guys let me start off by saying that in comparison to the other oil I previously ran it got dark much quicker and it burned half a quart quicker.
Sure it can be cleaning out the previous oil which I hope BUT I have ran Motul for a few intervals and it has been the best oil I've used and is in no way a fake synthetic like ajpturbo suggested. It never burned.

Well I just ordered more amsoil so we'll see how the second run goes.

There really isnt any hard facts in your post....you saying motul is the best you have ever used really doesnt mean anything....hard to believe amsoil burned ....considering it has one of the lowest noack volatility ratings on the market....that is a fact you can research but not argue....im really not sure if motul is a true synthetic....do you know what group that oil is....how do you know?...have you seen it?

I prefer the third party testing and data that is readily available for amsoil products along with specifications....if you like choosing oil and basing performance on color....go ahead but i prefer numbers from testing

Did I bad mouth amsoil in this post in anyway?  NO I have not. I am simply stating my experience with it compared to that crap motul ha. I am not saying that motul is the best but the best I, I, I have dealt with.  And yes it burned so believe that. I know its a great product or I would have not gone through the effort to getting it in my shop.
2013 Roush Stage 3: Supercharged & Ready to Go Fast
2010 SHO - Daily: Corsa Cat-Back, Roush CAI, LME Downpipes, LME 3-Bar, LME Thermostat, LME Tune 4+

moem1090

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on December 09, 2015, 01:27:03 PM
What version of Motul were you using?

Personally I wouldn't put less than a 30 weight in these cars. I suspect there is a good reason it switched from 5-20 in gen 4.1 to 5-30 in 4.2.

I was using 5w-40

you think I should stick with using 5w-20 on the amsoil or a higher grade
2010 SHO - Daily: Corsa Cat-Back, Roush CAI, LME Downpipes, LME 3-Bar, LME Thermostat, LME Tune 4+

SHOdded

Panther is the only other person I know of considering 5w40.  Should not use above 5w30, I think, or you could end up jamming the phasers and possibly the turbo oil feed lines.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

moem1090

Quote from: SHOdded on December 09, 2015, 02:03:34 PM
Panther is the only other person I know of considering 5w40.  Should not use above 5w30, I think, or you could end up jamming the phasers and possibly the turbo oil feed lines.

Mhmm. That's interesting but not sure. I have been using the 5w-40 for 20-30k miles and not once had a performance issue, burning, or anything of that matter.

FoMoCoSHO

When I ran Amsoil I used 0-30 exclusively, both SHOs

What I'm running now is a custom 7.5w-35

I did not switch due to any real or perceived issues with Amsoil.

We shall see how the oil analysis bears out.

moem1090

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on December 09, 2015, 02:13:27 PM

Think I should switch grades?

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: moem1090 on December 09, 2015, 02:17:55 PM

If it was my car in a cold climate I'd run 0-30 Signature.

moem1090

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on December 09, 2015, 02:20:50 PM
Quote from: moem1090 on December 09, 2015, 02:17:55 PM

If it was my car in a cold climate I'd run 0-30 Signature.

Thanks man, ill go that route. I am about to head into Chicago's winter.

AJP turbo

I run signature series 0W-30 in my car. Best of both worlds thinner than 5W in the cold but all the properties of 30 weight when warm. But the fact that I run that might make you want to run something else LOL
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOnUup

I hear of a LOT of guys going with the 0w/30 in their ecoboost's nowadays.

I'd stay away from the 40 though, lots of oil lines that are key in lubrication and heat dispersion in our ecoboosts.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

moem1090

Quote from: ajpturbo on December 09, 2015, 02:38:56 PM
I run signature series 0W-30 in my car. Best of both worlds thinner than 5W in the cold but all the properties of 30 weight when warm. But the fact that I run that might make you want to run something else LOL

lol I have no hard feelings man. Now I am more inclined to getting 0w-30. Thanks for your input

ZSHO

I would certainly keep a eye on the oil level,especially if your going to the economy grade. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|