• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PP vs. Non PP?

Started by 14 TUX BL, April 10, 2015, 11:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJP turbo

Glad I can help ...it feels good knowing all the good I do for the new guys
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

BMC10SEC50

That's the difference from 3.16 to 2.77.

Quote from: SHO-Time on April 10, 2015, 02:28:14 PM
My brother-in-law has a 2014 PP and I own a 2013 Non-PP. We both have a LMS 93 oct tune and every-time we race from a dig, he's roughly 3/4 to 1 car length ahead of me each time.
-2013 SHO PP with Unleashed 3 bar tune, CAI, plugs, thermostat, off road downpipes and Corsa exhaust. Best time to date is 12.26@112.47mph.
-1990 5.0 LX(original owner) 349 BOSS block, Twisted Wedge heads, Holley intake, Vortech Si trim. Made 636hp to the wheels with a street tune.

14 TUX BL

Quote from: viSHOusTX on April 19, 2015, 10:35:38 AM
Some good reading guys ... Every time I get on I learn more and more we rookies are grateful and appreciate all the time and effort some of you vets spend on here.

I'm a rookie to SHO's, but I've been drag racing on & off since 1977 (all Mustangs, 9 of them!).

Quote from: BMC10SEC50 on April 19, 2015, 09:59:59 PM
That's the difference from 3.16 to 2.77.

Shodded put up numbers I thought deserved more examination:

Quote2.77/3.16 final drive
6500 rpm redline
245/45/20 tires

1st   44/39 mph 
    2nd   69/61 mph
    3rd  108/95 mph
    4th  141/124 mph
    5th  200/175 mph
    6th  269/236 mph

For stock SHO 1/4 mile times (~102 mph), the 2.77 gear needs three shifts whereas the 3.16 needs four.

Maybe that's why the quickest automotive test of a stock PP is the same as the best non PP (13.7 sec).

AJP turbo

No that's not the reason...the shifts of modern automatics happen really fast and they are actually accelerating through the shift...there is not a period of throttle lift .

Uncontrolled variables will manifest themselves as inconsistent track times.

You are suggesting that the mechanical advantage of more aggressive final drive gearing is negated by the action of the transmission which is false.....or you are correct and ford is stupid and dropped the ball...not saying that ford hasn't screwed up but this would be a huge oversight....many manufactures use this feature to increase performance...its just simple physics

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

AJP turbo

Also I know what you meant to say but a PP only needs 3 shifts not 4 for the 1/4 mile. You meant 4th gear but you only need 3 shifts to get there.

And the PP's maybe be geared perfectly for 1/4 mile when tuned with 3 bar since you are just about at redline in 4th gear. You are using the entire gear.

I think the the NON PP guys with 2.77 FD when tuned need to just barely shift into 4th which is shifting for basically nothing and you aren't using the next gear at all whereas the PP is using the entire gear.

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ajpturbo on April 20, 2015, 01:11:58 AM

I think the the NON PP guys with 2.77 FD when tuned need to just barely shift into 4th which is shifting for basically nothing and you aren't using the next gear at all whereas the PP is using the entire gear.
That was my experience in the non-PP car.

14 TUX BL

Quote from: ajpturbo on April 19, 2015, 11:50:47 PM
... the shifts of modern automatics happen really fast

We don't live in a mechanical/hydraulic vacuum, an extra shift is an extra shift.

No way to get around that.

QuoteYou are suggesting that the mechanical advantage of more aggressive final drive gearing is negated by the action of the transmission ...

That's exactly what I'm saying. 

Also I know what you meant to say but a PP only needs 3 shifts not 4 for the 1/4 mile. You meant 4th gear but you only need 3 shifts to get there.

Correct.

QuoteAnd the PP's maybe be geared perfectly for 1/4 mile when tuned ...

I think the the NON PP guys with 2.77 FD when tuned ...

My decades of modding/drag racing cars are in the past. My SHO will not be modded in any conceivable way, which is the reason why I used Shodded's bone stock 2.77 vs. *3.19 gears/speed chart.

*CORRECTION: 3.16, as it was pointed out by the unfunny who had nothing else better to say (heh heh)

SHOnUup

How much is the 1" difference in wheel setup going to change the gearing? .2?

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

ZSHO

Quote from: 14 TUX BL on April 20, 2015, 10:11:48 AM
Quote from: ajpturbo on April 19, 2015, 11:50:47 PM
... the shifts of modern automatics happen really fast

We don't live in a mechanical/hydraulic vacuum, an extra shift is an extra shift.

No way to get around that.

QuoteYou are suggesting that the mechanical advantage of more aggressive final drive gearing is negated by the action of the transmission ...

That's exactly what I'm saying. 

Correct.

QuoteAnd the PP's maybe be geared perfectly for 1/4 mile when tuned ...

I think the the NON PP guys with 2.77 FD when tuned ...

My decades of modding/drag racing cars are in the past. My SHO will not be modded in any conceivable way, which is the reason why I used Shodded's bone stock 2.77 vs. 3.19 gears/speed chart.
I believe your configurations are wrong based on your assessment vs the 3.19 gear Ratio.LOL

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Quote from: SHOnUup on April 20, 2015, 10:48:15 AM
How much is the 1" difference in wheel setup going to change the gearing? .2?
IDK, but sounds like it is a straight % of new tire diameter/old tire diameter.  So if you go from 20" tire height to 21" tire height for the 2.77 gear, you would effectively be running a 2.91 gear.
http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/reading/calculators.htm#GearRatio
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOnUup

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

14 TUX BL

Quote from: ZSHO on April 20, 2015, 10:56:08 AMI believe your configurations are wrong based on your assessment vs the 3.19 gear Ratio.LOL

I believe your attempt at humor would be wrong based on the outcome of what you presented. LOL

ZSHO

Quote from: 14 TUX BL on April 20, 2015, 05:57:08 PM
Quote from: ZSHO on April 20, 2015, 10:56:08 AMI believe your configurations are wrong based on your assessment vs the 3.19 gear Ratio.LOL

I believe your attempt at humor would be wrong based on the outcome of what you presented. LOL
This is a respectful and polite forum to say the least,and figured you would show a little more respect,rather than insult my integrity to say the least,guess i'm the idiot that suggested having a poll similiar to this in the beginning.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

14 TUX BL

Quote from: ZSHO on April 20, 2015, 07:56:22 PM
Quote from: 14 TUX BL on April 20, 2015, 05:57:08 PM

This is a respectful and polite forum to say the least,and figured you would show a little more respect,rather than insult my integrity to say the least,guess i'm the idiot that suggested having a poll similiar to this in the beginning.

I made a pun in the same fashion as you, so I hope you realize if you are criticizing me you are actually criticizing yourself first.

That musing aside, I started this thread looking for acceleration/quarter mile figures for 100% bone stock PP vs non PP SHO's. There were really only two examples offered that came close:

a) the person who compared street runs of identically modded PP vs. non PP cars
b) my link to the Popular Mechanics test of a non PP SHO (the only one I could find of a non PP)

But I guess thanks for your input anyways ...

FoMoCoSHO

We should have some numbers this evening for an alcoholic 2015