• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PP vs. Non PP?

Started by 14 TUX BL, April 10, 2015, 11:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

14 TUX BL

Quote from: IHeartGroceries on April 15, 2015, 12:12:23 AM
You can argue about acceleration until you're blue in the face.

What I was looking for was either:
a) people putting a 100% bone stock PP vs. non PP car on the same track, on the same day
b) an similar automotive journal test

No luck.

QuoteBut you're overlooking the two features found on PP, which makes the upgrade well worthwhile - ability to completely defeat AdvanceTrac and the additional cooling ... The aux water cooling will most certainly prolong the life of that oil.

Wasn't overlooking anything, just that there were no used PP SHO's in my area when I got my car so the topic wasn't relevant to me.

And seeing how I'll never road race my vehicle, being able to completely turn off Advance Trac isn't an issue.

Regarding the "sludge" problem (noting that the recent gen SHO's have been around for 5 years) it's reasonable there would be tens of thousand of reported failures on forums. But what I see are some reports that the fluid has failed, and other reports that the fluid is ok. Also, it seems that the people who do report the issue have both PP and non PP vehicles.

ZSHO

The answer is very simple without the back and forth discussions which clearly sounds gratifying to you based on your other post,there are plenty of options like trading in your non-PP for a PP just like i did,hope this helps you out.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

IHeartGroceries

You bought a sport lux car, with wonderful power. As if having no manual trans option isn't bad enough, if the inability to defeat traction control really isn't a problem, that's incredible!

That's like having the world's fastest supercomputer with no mouse or keyboard to use it! Lol
2013 SHO PP

Dxlnt1

My only 2 cents on this thread is 1 question. Do you want a fast car or do you want a quick car?
The higher gear ratio (PP) simply put will get you to speed quicker, and will affect engine speed. Hence the earlier 2-3 shift to get to 60 mph in the PP model. Someone posted on this thread the top end for PP was 122 mph and Non as 140 mph. That may be a little exaggerated but sounds about right. All related to final drive gearing.

Then the heavy duty parts just adds longevity to the all the parts. But that's not to say the standard equipment is within itself sub par for the task at hand.

So is there more joy in beating someone from a dig to 60 mph, the quarter mile or from 40-130 mph? And there are a couple you tube videos from New Mexico of these cars running on the back side of 130+ mph. And a recent article made the comment "the SHO is always hunting for 130 mph!" I will try to find that article but I think it was posted on this forum somewhere.
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

AJP turbo

Quote from: Dxlnt1 on April 15, 2015, 01:08:45 PM
My only 2 cents on this thread is 1 question. Do you want a fast car or do you want a quick car?
The higher gear ratio (PP) simply put will get you to speed quicker, and will affect engine speed. Hence the earlier 2-3 shift to get to 60 mph in the PP model. Someone posted on this thread the top end for PP was 122 mph and Non as 140 mph. That may be a little exaggerated but sounds about right. All related to final drive gearing.

Then the heavy duty parts just adds longevity to the all the parts. But that's not to say the standard equipment is within itself sub par for the task at hand.

So is there more joy in beating someone from a dig to 60 mph, the quarter mile or from 40-130 mph? And there are a couple you tube videos from New Mexico of these cars running on the back side of 130+ mph. And a recent article made the comment "the SHO is always hunting for 130 mph!" I will try to find that article but I think it was posted on this forum somewhere.

What do you mean the top end being 122?..
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Dxlnt1

Quote from: ajpturbo on April 15, 2015, 01:12:37 PM
Quote from: Dxlnt1 on April 15, 2015, 01:08:45 PM

What do you mean the top end being 122?..

Vehicle top speed.

The lower engine speed should also help with economy. Maybe someone can chime with engine speed at 60 mph in top gear.
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

AJP turbo

Well even stock it would be much higher than 122....and my stock strategy showed 140 or 145 for the electronic throttle limit...meaning the throttle will close when u hit that speed...there are speed limits for oil temp and outside ambient temp.

I'm going about 70mph at 2000 with pp. even with the 3.16 the theoretical speed should be close to 200 mph if you redline 6th and my car hits 140 on a regular basis and would easily do 160 if I had the room...so I'm not sure where the 122 comes from even stock

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

IHeartGroceries

Drag limited?

The highest I had mine was 120 mph, and it was still pulling.

I just don't have the cojones to press on after that.
2013 SHO PP

Dxlnt1

I was using the numbers from SHOdded on post #21, so I dunno actual numbers. But theoretically, it would be true higher engine speed = lower top speed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTjcxFPLNps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiFA-V1zZcg

AJP turbo

Nope...u would hit more than 1 electronic speed limiter before u were able to reach a drag limited top speed

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

AJP turbo

Oh ok....well those numbers look about right for 4th gear maybe....I'm about 112-115 when I tach out 4th gear at 6000 rpm...so 122 at 6500 makes sense...I'm not sure what his numbers were for tho

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

SHOdded

I hope the first 3 pics in the slideshow below help illustrate the PP acceleration advantage over non-PP:
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/how-gear-works/

There are a few top speed calculators out there (see example below), not sure how it interplays with torque/power:
http://www.catherineandken.co.uk/sti/tyres.html

For the 6f55 and 2.77/3.16 final drive, it calculates top speeds as:
    1st   44/39 mph 
    2nd   69/61 mph
    3rd  108/95 mph
    4th  141/124 mph
    5th  200/175 mph
    6th  269/236 mph

6500 rpm redline, 245/45/20 tires, stock gearing.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOnUup

I'm running 255/45/19 tires...how much would that affect the gearing compared to the 45/20 setup?

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

AJP turbo

Quote from: SHOnUup on April 15, 2015, 03:22:11 PM
I'm running 255/45/19 tires...how much would that affect the gearing compared to the 45/20 setup?

Rich

Without plugging the values in ad say u might be pretty close to offsetting the gearing and being similar to what the pp is because u are gaining a mechanical advantage due to your tire diameter being shorter

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

SHOnUup

Quote from: ajpturbo on April 15, 2015, 03:35:21 PM
Quote from: SHOnUup on April 15, 2015, 03:22:11 PM

Rich

Without plugging the values in ad say u might be pretty close to offsetting the gearing and being similar to what the pp is because u are gaining a mechanical advantage due to your tire diameter being shorter
Thanks...maybe this is the reasoning behind the gearing change? PP models are all 20" wheels right?

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.