• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PP vs. Non PP?

Started by 14 TUX BL, April 10, 2015, 11:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

14 TUX BL

Looking at the "Stock Times" thread, it seems there's no difference between stock PP vs. Non PP cars.

Must be 2.77 to 3.16 isn't that drastic, and the stickier tires on the PP don't help on the launch because it's already AWD.

Right?

AJP turbo

Actually that's a decent change in final drive...hard to compare magazine times that will have different drivers in different cars and different tracks....u would really need to see 2 identical cars at the same track and even the same car with a final drive swap because there can be differences car to car lol.....drag racers have been doing it for years...why do people put 4.10's in mustangs that had stock 3.27's?....it can also be beneficial in daily driving as well not just 1/4 mile and to 60...and the extra shift needed for 60mph isn't a huge deal as these modern automatics shift really fast......or maybe ford is stupid and completely dropped the ball and made the car slower with the 3.16.......I think not
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

IHeartGroceries

Agreed...
The final drive gearing swap to aid in off the line acceleration is and age old trick.
There's an obvious performance benefit. It is included on the...ahem...performance package.

The final drive and UHP summer tires are the two chief upgrades to the car, with PP equipped. Neither should be written off as anything but a performance advantage.
2013 SHO PP

FoMoCoSHO

I could never understand all the complaints about torque steer until I got PP...

SHO-Time

My brother-in-law has a 2014 PP and I own a 2013 Non-PP. We both have a LMS 93 oct tune and every-time we race from a dig, he's roughly 3/4 to 1 car length ahead of me each time.
2015 Chevy SS Perfect Blue / LMT Tuned (390 RWHP / 388 RWTQ)
2013 White Platinum Tri-Coat SHO (Non-PP) *SOLD*

IHeartGroceries

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on April 10, 2015, 02:27:10 PM
I could never understand all the complaints about torque steer until I got PP...
OMG, thank you man. I feel so vindicated.
2013 SHO PP

14 TUX BL

There aren't a lot of them, but this is what I saw on the "Stock Quarter Mile Times" thread:

-----------------------
14.122@99.46

ROCOB
PP
-----------------------
14.1966@100.05

glock-coma
non PP
-----------------------
13.799@101.02

Night Hawk
non PP
----------------------
13.49@103.62

dmharvey79
pp
---------------------

When I raced Mustangs, a gear change from 2.73's to 3.08's netted me about a tenth in the 1/4 (similar difference in ratio between the SHO PP and non PP).

Guess the only way to know for sure is to have a 100% bone stock PP and non PP car at the same track on the same day (no auto journals that I can find has tested one vs. the other).

Thanks for your replies!

SHOnUup

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

AJP turbo

What is that proving?...you are deep into your tune and getting the benefit of mixing fuel so it's not your run of the mill pp...there is no comparison being made but it's a great time for sure..
From everything I see so far it looks like the pp stock for stock or tuned for tuned and all things being equal is the pp's are a tick faster in mph and et which is what i think end game is for a more aggressive final drive

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

SHOnUup

Quote from: ajpturbo on April 12, 2015, 12:21:40 PM
What is that proving?...you are deep into your tune and getting the benefit of mixing fuel so it's not your run of the mill pp...there is no comparison being made but it's a great time for sure..
From everything I see so far it looks like the pp stock for stock or tuned for tuned and all things being equal is the pp's are a tick faster in mph and et which is what the think end game is for a more aggressive final drive
It's called having fun....sharing experiences...being proud of the minor accomplishments and step by step process in running better consistent times...but as you seem to get your kicks on trying to diminish anything someone does I'll take it that you just don't understand that.

It's your attitude and somewhat disrespectful continuous comments that drive people not to share their experiences here.

Your knowledge is far superior to mine, but you are sucking the life outta so much here. Congratulations to you.

I'm quite surprised Manu hasn't stepped in at some point, as you have driven many people from this site yourself.

Always many members and guests here, but they lack the want to deal with comments as such, so they don't participate.

Rich

Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

BiGMaC

Quote from: SHOnUup on April 12, 2015, 12:43:00 PM
From everything I see so far it looks like the pp stock for stock or tuned for tuned and all things being equal is the pp's are a tick faster in mph and et which is what the think end game is for a more aggressive final drive
It's called having fun....sharing experiences...being proud of the minor accomplishments and step by step process in running better consistent times...but as you seem to get your kicks on trying to diminish anything someone does I'll take it that you just don't understand that.

It's your attitude and somewhat disrespectful continuous comments that drive people not to share their experiences here.

Your knowledge is far superior to mine, but you are sucking the life outta so much here. Congratulations to you.

I'm quite surprised Manu hasn't stepped in at some point, as you have driven many people from this site yourself.

Always many members and guests here, but they lack the want to deal with comments as such, so they don't participate.

Rich
Bam!

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

AJP turbo

Did someone cut u off today?...I said u had a great time...I tried to complement u...I was simply looking at the title of the thread pp VS. Non pp and I didn't see the vs part of your post...

It's like I could say I ran 11.0 because mine is a pp but that really wouldn't mean much if my car was crazy modified...

My knowledge isn't really that superior but it may be interpreted as such.....relax a little

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

SHOnUup

If you'd like me to point out the consistency in where your lack of respect for certain vehicles lye, I could...but I think it's been quite obvious to most that participate here.

I don't want, need, or care for any special favors from you.

I just ask that if you want to participate in a lively and growing community....

Post something nice without in the next line diminishing that nice comment.

The excitement some have for their car is great, and if they come here to share this experience. Why try and deter them from doing so...

Adding to that excitement for them is contagious and feels great.

We are an ecoboost community regardless of tuner or platform being used.

Rich

SHOdded

From everything I see so far it looks like the pp stock for stock or tuned for tuned and all things being equal is the pp's are a tick faster in mph and et which is what i think end game is for a more aggressive final drive
Wow, you guys really know how to light up the sky when a mod or admin steps away for a bit :P

AJ, I think the point was simply that Rich was adding info on the time a non-PP SHO can achieve, considering that the main changes from stock (in this example) are tune, intake, and a bit of E85 mix.  Pretty darned good, I'd say!

I suppose you could get into any number of discussions around the web regarding strictly final drive gearing, but since the PP has additional trans/oil cooling, it's not purely a gear swap variable.  Now, we could take a SHO like bpd's SHO, which has the cooling upgrades and match it up to another 2010 PP or non-PP SHO and check performance.  And still, variable control will be difficult to achieve down to the infinitesimal level. 

Only in simulations and mfr testing facilities can you get that kind of precision.  Too expensive for the rest of us.    It seems pretty hard to set up a head-to-head for a true comparison, scheduling & resources being what they are.  So speculation based on solo efforts is the next best thing and we have to make do with it.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

14 TUX BL

Ok guys, let's try to stay on topic. ;- )

My question again: Is there a measurable performance advantage in 1/4 mile times between a PP and non PP car.

Since comparisons become futile once we begin throwing in mods, let's keep it to 100% bumper-to-bumper bone stock cars.

Go!

P.S. I'll try to get times for my own ride when time permits.