• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

LMS Tune, Transmission Slips & Traction Control

Started by 14SHOCAR, April 07, 2015, 09:21:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

14SHOCAR

"Engine output is the same 365 hp and 350 lb-ft of torque but acceleration of the Performance Package version benefits from a shorter 3.16:1 final-drive ratio (compared to the SHO's standard 2.77:1 ratio)."

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1205_ford_taurus_sho_performance_package/
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

BiGMaC

Quote from: 14SHOCAR on April 07, 2015, 03:21:43 PM
Quote from: BiGMaC on April 07, 2015, 03:20:20 PM
Does anyone know how TC affects the tranny, other than locking out 6th gear?

TC affects the power distribution. Do you mean Sport Mode? The shift points on a "stock car" with Sport Mode are different.

yea.. meant sport mode... Thanks

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

14SHOCAR

The official word from Livernois:
"The traction control is not happy with the newly found power and as it is re learning like you mentioned it will be firmer.  If you drive less aggressive it will eventually tone down over a few days time.  I typically prefer to give them a few days of driving to tone down a bit before boost launching and a lot of WOT driving.  The car needs a fighting chance to learn and for adjusting to the new flash.  Also that slip feeling is your car trying to stop power delivery to the ground because it sees the potential for wheel spin.  I always turn traction control off every time I get in my vehicles by force of habit.  That way when I want to play, its ready to go for it instead of acting like a dog to prevent loss of traction.  I would give it a few days of typical driving and the times when you do plan on driving aggressively, turn of the TC.  Some models like our PP had a TC button vs the models where you have to disable it in the menu.  If your car has a TC button, hold your foot on the brake when running in park and hold the button in for 10-15 seconds.  I know the PP for example will say advance trac off which is the true "OFF" or track mode.  That allows the car to spin the tires as it so desires."

I asked if I should unplug the battery to relearn and drive "nicely".... no word yet.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

AJP turbo

Sounds fishy to me......Couple things here. It takes no longer than 4-5 seconds pushing the TC button and holding the brake to disable the advance trac, not 10-15 seconds lol....You can just reflash and the KAM(keep alive memory) will reset and all the adaptives will be reset, no need to disconnect the battery....If you have an X4 device it has a feature to reset the KAM so it's quick and easy.

I hated waiting for the adaptive stuff after a reflash...to me the adaptives are just there to compensate for a lack of tuning, so if the tables are dialed in better the adaptive is a much quicker if even non existent process. i.e. before I smoothed out my shift pressures some of my part throttle shifts were overly firm. SO I reduced some of the part throttle pressures that ford left strangely high, so now I've all but eliminated the adaptive learning process and it shifts properly immediately following a reflash.

I invite some of you to log "actual throttle angle" during a long WOT pull. I think a lot of you may be surprised to find that some of the perceived missing and traction control intervention may actually be throttle closures due to some of the torque tables not matching commanded and actual torque values and nothing to do with loss of traction and traction control issues.

These cars are tedious to tune and I'm not an expert but I've see a few pro tuners struggle with this to get it right. At times I would see my boost drop abruptly and it can be perceived as a miss or a traction issue because it's happening around a shift but it has more to do with drive by wire and complex torque tables in this platform.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ajpturbo on April 07, 2015, 06:12:55 PM
Sounds fishy to me......Couple things here. It takes no longer than pushing the TC button and holding the brake to disable the advance trac, not 10-15 seconds lol....You can just reflash and the KAM(keep alive memory) will reset and all the adaptives will be reset, no need to disconnect the battery....If you have an X4 device it has a feature to reset the KAM so it's quick and easy.

I hated waiting for the adaptive stuff after a reflash...to me the adaptives are just there to compensate for a lack of tuning, so if the tables are dialed in better the adaptive is a much quicker if even non existent process. i.e. before I smoothed out my shift pressures some of my part throttle shifts were overly firm. SO I reduced some of the part throttle pressures that ford left strangely high, so now I've all but eliminated the adaptive learning process and it shifts properly immediately following a reflash.

I invite some of you to log "actual throttle angle" during a long WOT pull. I think a lot of you may be surprised to find that some of the perceived missing and traction control intervention may actually be throttle closures due to some of the torque tables not matching commanded and actual torque values and nothing to do with loss of traction and traction control issues.

These cars are tedious to tune and I'm not an expert but I've see a few pro tuners struggle with this to get it right. At times I would see my boost drop abruptly and it can be perceived as a miss or a traction issue because it's happening around a shift but it has more to do with drive by wire and complex torque tables in this platform.
On the 2015, holding the brake and tapping the button increases the thresholds and holding for 5 seconds disables completely.

Your post sounds spot on to my experiences with Torrie during the datalog and retune cycle.

The time the car took to "seem sorted" decreased to almost nothing towards the end.

Great insight, thanks!

markssho

I too experienced this stutter/shudder/slip feeling for the first time ever, this morning. It almost felt like power was being transferred under heavy load to the rear. 

Reminded me of the same feeling I would get sometimes in my AWD Subaru XT6 back in the early 90's when it would lose grip.

I was not at WOT, but near. I just put the tune back on a little over a week ago, so, I'm attributing it to the learning process.
I was tuned from last Oct to March and had nothing like this before. No worries here....
2010 Taurus SHO, Cinnamon, 402B, ACC

SHOnUup

Yeah I'm betting Livernois is having a real tough time figuring out the ecoboost....Really

But I guess it'd be to hard to give anyone other than your choice any respect....that's being a "my" car guy, not a car guy.

Isn't traction control all about torque to the wheels?

Thus, when it's enabled and you exceed torque limit, it adjusts for you.

Makes complete sense with it not being present when disabled.

If you plan on driving aggressively you should always have traction control off if tuned. A quick lane change and mash of the skinny pedal at same time can put you in a bad situation if needing the speed.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

AJP turbo

Quote from: SHOnUup on April 07, 2015, 10:30:09 PM
Yeah I'm betting Livernois is having a real tough time figuring out the ecoboost....Really

But I guess it'd be to hard to give anyone other than your choice any respect....that's being a "my" car guy, not a car guy.

Isn't traction control all about torque to the wheels?

Thus, when it's enabled and you exceed torque limit, it adjusts for you.

Makes complete sense with it not being present when disabled.

If you plan on driving aggressively you should always have traction control off if tuned. A quick lane change and mash of the skinny pedal at same time can put you in a bad situation if needing the speed.

Rich

I'm not sure what you mean and if you are being sarcastic....But there are many forms of torque control in these cars....The amount and times that torque control can be applied may have nothing to do with a wheel spinning or a temporary loss of traction....The traction control intervention is from wheel speed sensors. Torque control, in these cars comes when something isn't happy with the tables in the tune or something exceeded a threshold or it's intentional and is a form of protection.

It's way above me and I don't understand how the car measures actual and delivered torque. Complex algorithms and some values are "inferred" based on other values but the new mustangs and most drive by wire cars are using this form of tuning now

i.e you can set the car up so that you have traction control off but still have all kinds of torque reductions and the throttle closes even though there was no wheel slip detected...There are torque reductions for the PTU, Trans, limits per gear, input shaft torque limits, oil temp and more

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

BiGMaC

As figured out as anyone.... Since the LME shop owns 3 SHOs among a stable of EBs.

As far as this topic ... I can't turn off the TC since I'm nonPP, my car doesn't exhibit the behavior described.... Not even close spinning at start, 1-2, and 2-3...

Corrupt tune? Individuality of the OPs car?  Dunno... Won't be simple until it's identified.  As FoMoCo says... Issues develop for both the reputable tuners with this platform.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

14SHOCAR

So there is a lot of information about torque curves here. I think most people here missed the fact that the newer SHOs have all redone dynamic torque vectoring. The torque tables are complex due to inputs from the speed, wheel angle, slip, and brake... Its not just simple torque management anymore.

Also in my 2014, I can't figure out how to turn off the ESC. In the screen menu --> I go to Driver Assist --> Traction Control --> and uncheck it. I still get assist in slides but its not as sensitive as with the Traction Control on. I am not entirely sure there is a way to fully disable traction control on this car. Any tips would be wonderful.

With all that being stated, I'm giving my car some time to adjust. I'll let you know how things go given a few more weeks.
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)

AJP turbo

14shocar I have no idea what you are talking about...have u ever seen the parameters in a calibration?...the torque tables have nothing to do with what you mentioned....the x and y axis are Newton meters of torque and rpm....that's it.

Torque curves are for dynos and that's not what's being referenced here about the torque tables in the tune...I'm struggling with how u think u know some of these things but can't get the traction control off.....do u have a non pp? Then you can't disable advance trax completely

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

IHeartGroceries

I haven't seen any of the tables in this ECUs logic control.

But, I'll bet like you said, ajp, torque is assumed by formulations using airflow and fuel as datapoints. I'm not familiar with a speed density system either though.

TC based on input from wheel speed sensors. And then the output limiting or failsafe control measures by limiting fuel or closing throttle.

However, it is possible that those control measures (throttle closure) are used when TC is on and slip is detected by speed sensor data input. This is common in lieu of LSD. 
2013 SHO PP

14SHOCAR

Quote from: IHeartGroceries on April 08, 2015, 11:11:55 AM
I haven't seen any of the tables in this ECUs logic control.

But, I'll bet like you said, ajp, torque is assumed by formulations using airflow and fuel as datapoints. I'm not familiar with a speed density system either though.

TC based on input from wheel speed sensors. And then the output limiting or failsafe control measures by limiting fuel or closing throttle.

However, it is possible that those control measures (throttle closure) are used when TC is on and slip is detected by speed sensor data input. This is common in lieu of LSD.

I was misreading the context. I thought you were talking about torque in general, not just on a dyno.

Quote from: ajpturbo on April 08, 2015, 10:32:51 AM
I'm struggling with how u think u know some of these things but can't get the traction control off.....do u have a non pp? Then you can't disable advance trax completely

Per this article: https://social.ford.com/our-articles/cars/sho/new-taurus-sho-inspired-by-club-enthusiasts-and-customers/
"SHO dynamics have been enhanced with larger brakes, torque vectoring control – using slight braking to provide the effect of a limited-slip differential – and unique sport-tuned suspension."

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on April 07, 2015, 08:10:32 PM
On the 2015, holding the brake and tapping the button increases the thresholds and holding for 5 seconds disables completely.

There isn't "a button" on my system is what I'm saying. I only have the screen menus.

I know this may sound pretty strange, but how do I definitively know if I have the performance package?
Per this: http://www.topspeed.com/cars/ford/2014-ford-taurus-sho-ar160382.html
"SHO Performance Package: 20-in. bright machined painted aluminum wheels, performance summer compound tires, performance brake pads, heavy-duty cooling system, EPAS specially calibrated steering, ESC track mode, 3:16:1 final drive gear ratio, tire mobility kit, Alcantara suede steering wheel"

I have to 20" rims, but that could be part of the 401a feature group. I do have an S selection on my shifter, but that could be a standard thing. I have Michelin 245/45R20 99V tires... Are the "performance summer compound tires" tires z rated?

I don't' have a reference point for the cooling system, so I don't know if it's "Heavy Duty".  Is there any other tell tale signs?

14 Taurus SHO (Sold)

PokerMunkee

Only Performance Package SHO's have the T/C button to fully disable the system.

Here is a video I made on how to disable it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PTQNee18pI

That's all I can contribute to this thread :D
2013 SHO PP - Ignot Silver/Charcoal
Unleashed 91 tune w/ 3BAR, Corsa exhaust, LEDs everywhere
2011 F-250 6.2 CCSB FX4

AJP turbo

Alcantara wheel would be the easiest...look at ur window sticker under options look for sho performance package...ask fomoco about the traction control for a 15 or read the manual

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress