• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

A Question for LME on VTA

Started by BiGMaC, December 13, 2014, 08:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BiGMaC

A question for LME... Do you believe having BOVs VTA degrades performance or longevity of the 3.5TT GDI engine in the SHO?  TIA

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: BiGMaC on December 13, 2014, 08:57:13 PM
A question for LME... Do you believe having BOVs VTA degrades performance or longevity of the 3.5TT GDI engine in the SHO?  TIA

SORRY FOR THE DELAY, BUT I WAS OUT OF TOWN AT THE PRI SHOW ALL WEEK!

We do not recommend any VTA mods for the EB line. The reason that they create so much torque is because of the recirculating turbo system. Because of the recirculating turbos being switched out to VTA there would be a drop in power. This has been proven over and over in the Fusion, FiST and FoST models.

IHeartGroceries

If possible, can you provide some data?

I'm trying to make things add up, but I don't see it.

With a speed density control loop, with metering downstream of the valves, what does it matter? Additionally, the valve(s) primary function takes place when there isn't even load on the engine.
2013 SHO PP

SHOnUup

Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on December 15, 2014, 05:53:22 PM

We do not recommend any VTA mods for the EB line. The reason that they create so much torque is because of the recirculating turbo system. Because of the recirculating turbos being switched out to VTA there would be a drop in power. This has been proven over and over in the Fusion, FiST and FoST models.
Thanks for the input.

Data just confuses stuff...lol

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

peppelepugh

welp.... might just slap the recirc pipes back on.... it was fun while it lasted... lol
2011 Kona Blue SHO non-PP: MDesign Carbon Fiber CAI, All interior lights LEDs, LED Puddles, and LED Reverse.

EBC Stage 4 Brake kit, 170* T-stat, 3-Bar MAP, NGK Plugs, PPE Catless-DPs and Tune by Torrie!

BiGMaC

Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on December 15, 2014, 05:53:22 PM

Hope you had a great time at PRI.  Two other questions please: first, is this phenomena seen in the 3.5TT?, and second is there an explanation for why it occurs.  TIA

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

navbtcret

I have aftermarket hot pipes with a TiAL blow off valve and I have to disagree. Unless you can show me numbers to prove this. The valve only opens when I let off the gas and only for a split second, it does not open when it shifts as it is staying in boost. I ran the same times at the track with the stock pipes and with the aftermarket pipes vented to the atmosphere.

I bought the pipes used or I would have stayed with the stock BOV's because I am not a big fan of the noise but my performance has not been reduced from the pipes. When I was at the track after installing them it was warmer and more humid and the car still ran the same.
2013 SHO Non PP, LMS 93 Performance v8, 3 Bar MAP, 170 Stat, MDesign CAI, Hot Pipes with TiAL BOV, PPE Catted Downpipes

EcoPowerParts

I would ask that you do back to back dyno's of a car with VTA to prove this theory on the EB 3.5.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

panther427

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on December 15, 2014, 11:08:27 PM
I would ask that you do back to back dyno's of a car with VTA to prove this theory on the EB 3.5.

I too would like to see this done.  I can see both sides of the picture.  Both it not having an effect and it having an effect.  Though in my personal thoughts is a wot pull it won't matter. But part throttle daily driving throttle response could be hurt. Adding a hair more lag.
2013 SHO

EcoPowerParts

So here's my thought, on an auto car the BoV is closed, all the time unless releasing the throttle. How can this impact the HP of the car? I floor it from a stand still all the way through the 1/4 mile, when does the BoV open that would cause any type of effect on this engine.
4 cylinder, stick yes, I can see it as they describe, V6 auto, hmm no.
www.ecopowerparts.com -
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.

MDesign Performance

I believe the car still factors in the amount of air released from the BOV and when you vent it to atmosphere you're losing that small amount of metered air. That could have a affect on air fuel ratios, however small of a affect it might have. Try checking your air fuel ratios in similar conditions, VTA and recirculated. I know I threw mine on a while back.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

SHOnUup

State something simple, need a written and logged statement including data.....

Sell a new product, don't need any kind of proof to make claims.

Pretty weird how some of you choose to just accept some vendors claims, and others you dont.

Pretty damn lame and actually childish....makes me question the entire being of this site and what's pushed here now.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: SHOnUup on December 16, 2014, 07:03:36 AM
State something simple, need a written and logged statement including data.....

Sell a new product, don't need any kind of proof to make claims.

Pretty weird how some of you choose to just accept some vendors claims, and others you dont.

Pretty damn lame and actually childish....makes me question the entire being of this site and what's pushed here now.

Rich

Nothing is being pushed, there's just a question of how this is valid. I don't think anybody else is claiming this or actually any other vendors are coming on claiming anything at all.
www.ecopowerparts.com -

BiGMaC

No dis to anyone intended.. I have the utmost respect for our membership as well as both LME and Dan Millen, but I do have trouble understanding why VTA would compromise performance for the reasons people site, and hope  for insight as I am trying to understand how my engine functions...like are there specific instances where VTA compromises the 3.5TT GDI performance and if it is a statement that holds across all EB versions?  I acknowledge that dyno pulls can differ from real world at times for a number of reasons.

Maybe I'm off base, but I perceive the requests for dyno data as desire for quantification.... So that informed decisions can be made when modding.

SHOdded

I claim at best cursory knowledge of this situation, but the discussions around the web w regard to VTA revolve around:  a) do you have MAF or MAP, b) do you have a BPV or a BOV, and c) where is the valve physically located in relation to the MAF/MAP sensor?  If we all dig into this research project, maybe we can find links/discussions/data out there :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!