• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

MDesign Intake review-bigmoneycloser

Started by bigmoneycloser, November 25, 2014, 08:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDesign Performance

Quote from: SHOnUup on January 17, 2015, 07:09:06 PM
If it's possible to dyno it vs. the stock box, I'd suggest that. I think that would be the best one to compare to overall.

Rich

I believe he is doing that as well, I'll contact him and see if he can get a thread going for the dyno that way you guys can ask him for any specifications for the dyno.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

WickedSHO

Maybe I am not understanding this...but you are seeing temps below ambient at WOT, but on a consitant basis, I have yet to get anywhere near ambient temp.

Maybe I have the intake installed incorrectly. Most of the time, normal driving, I see temps right about what the Nav screen says.
2014 SHO Ignot Silver. MDesign CF Intake, 3 BAR MAP, 160 T-Stat, LMS 93 OCT V8 tune.

SHOnUup

Quote from: WickedSHO on January 21, 2015, 02:04:14 PM
Maybe I am not understanding this...but you are seeing temps below ambient at WOT, but on a consitant basis, I have yet to get anywhere near ambient temp.

Maybe I have the intake installed incorrectly. Most of the time, normal driving, I see temps right about what the Nav screen says.
Try comparing to weather channel app temp. I find that torque ambient is 6-10* cooler than my cars display, and the actual temp outside falling in between the 2 most of the time.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

91hybrid

Does it really matter if it is +2 degrees above ambient?  With the obvious sensor error exhibited in this thread it's probably safe to say that the intake is getting as close to ambient temp air as possible (below is impossible) right now. Good job MDesign on that specific kpi (key performance indicator).

John
2014 SHO -PP, Unleashed Tuned, 3bar, Devils Own 100% meth, PPE catted down pipes, 3rd cat delete, Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, 170 deg, NGK 7's plugs, hot pipes - White Platinum 401a
418 whp - 513 wlb/ft
non meth 13.11@103.6 (knock limited)
Meth pass 11.991@114.28

J-Will

Quote from: 91hybrid on January 21, 2015, 04:47:57 PM
Does it really matter if it is +2 degrees above ambient?  With the obvious sensor error exhibited in this thread it's probably safe to say that the intake is getting as close to ambient temp air as possible (below is impossible) right now. Good job MDesign on that specific kpi (key performance indicator).

John

No, I do not think it does.  This is my impression as well
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

PokerMunkee

Any sound difference from the stock airbox?

How long to go back between stock and MDesign for warranty work?

How often does the filter need replaced?  Easy to find on Amazon?

Trying t justify over $350 for an air intake.
2013 SHO PP - Ignot Silver/Charcoal
Unleashed 91 tune w/ 3BAR, Corsa exhaust, LEDs everywhere
2011 F-250 6.2 CCSB FX4

J-Will

Its a k&n filter, so it only needs cleaned

All intakes are pretty straight forward as far as replacement goes. Its probably a 5min endeavor.

I don't want to speak for him but MDesign is essentially a one man shop. I wouldn't expect a lucrative warranty. 
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

ZSHO

The key aspect in any CAI is to sutain and more importanly see gains over the stock oem box which every intake is lacking of and hopefully Ahmeds CAI can deliver both performance and sound cause to me personally love to hear those turbos spool,and to be fair and unbiased the intake setup is top notch and the setup is great for heat dissipation,but what worries me is that the intake is so sealed up that it could suppress the sound level in order to hear those bad boys spool,some may differ on my opinion,if performance and sound is achieved,will be a potential buyer,guess sometimes you cant have both of best worlds,but that was the only thing holding me personally back,until otherwise proved on the dyno results and opinions from others on sound quality,just my 2cent why i'm holding back,thanks,Z.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

MDesign Performance

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words.

You can go from MDesign to stock intake in 5 minutes flat, you would remove the front 2 bolts, the clamp connecting to the rest of the intake, remove the sensor and then just lift up and out. Simplicity was key when designing the intake as well as efficiency.

As for sound you definitely hear it, I'll try posting up a video soon (it's been snowing in Michigan).

Filter is washable and does not need to be replaced. You can use any aftermarket cotton filter recharge kit (K&N, AEM, etc.) to clean the filter and oil it if you please. Here is an example of the cleaning process from K&N.

http://www.knfilters.com/cleaning.htm

The main difference between the MDesign and other intakes (Air Raid or K&N) is that anytime you can see the filter it is not a cold air intake as it is ingesting warm, engine bay heat. Our system is a true cold air intake similar to the OEM setup with less restrictions and is made out of real carbon fiber (none of that vinyl stuff).
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

PokerMunkee

Ok, I'm game.  Do we still get the forum discount?

Please send me payment details and I'll paypal it out.
2013 SHO PP - Ignot Silver/Charcoal
Unleashed 91 tune w/ 3BAR, Corsa exhaust, LEDs everywhere
2011 F-250 6.2 CCSB FX4

MDesign Performance

Quote from: PokerMunkee on January 22, 2015, 12:18:32 PM

Sent you a PM.

By the way I just want to throw this out there as I saw a comment regarding separate hard pipes to each turbo.

We tried designing the intake with individual pipes to each turbo (similar to Hennessey) and it causes issue with turbulence, you will not have equal lengths to each turbo. This is the reason the OEM intake is designed the way it is, and the reason we retained it on the MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake. You can think of this effect the same way with happens in exhaust systems and why X/H-pipes are used. The MDesign intake has been long in development and has had more than 3 prototypes to achieve what we have today.

Also we have now another dyno session scheduled, so 2 sets of results coming soon.

BiGMaC

Quote from: MDesign on January 22, 2015, 03:26:37 PM
Quote from: PokerMunkee on January 22, 2015, 12:18:32 PM

Sent you a PM.

By the way I just want to throw this out there as I saw a comment regarding separate hard pipes to each turbo.

We tried designing the intake with individual pipes to each turbo (similar to Hennessey) and it causes issue with turbulence, you will not have equal lengths to each turbo. This is the reason the OEM intake is designed the way it is, and the reason we retained it on the MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake. You can think of this effect the same way with happens in exhaust systems and why X/H-pipes are used. The MDesign intake has been long in development and has had more than 3 prototypes to achieve what we have today.

Also we have now another dyno session scheduled, so 2 sets of results coming soon.

I remember the earlier designs Ahmad worked with and the math on them as far as flow vs. diameter and friction, etc. I would be open to revisit it IF dyno evidence was presented rather than assumption... I assume too, but only to develop the hypothesis to be tested.  To get this info about airflow in turbo feeds might take a tune tweak, but certainly would involve dyno pulls with turbo intake flange open to air as opposed to having the entire intake attached and performance would have to be the benchmark to be reached.  Maybe someone is willing to disconnect the system on a hot transverse 3.5 TT engine to find out.
I'd also point out that faster moving air is better since it has less exposure to heat per unit time, like in the OEM setup. With separate tubes air moment is slower if they are of the same diameter as OEM intake to the two turbos. So, right now, it is just where the equalization takes place... in the turbo intake tube (like OEM) or in the filter box (with a dual turbo feed), if they are the same size there will be more heating of intake air, especially if metal tubing is used (the MDesign uses CF). I've seen no evidence regarding the ability of the stock turbos to use more airflow or how much. ... So I believe currently that separate feed tubing to each turbo is an aesthetic preference for appearance and perhaps sound... no dis... everyone has a plan! 
I do love the appearance of the MDesign, the ability to access my tranny dipstick without dismantling the car, the sound changes, and the almost complete disappearance of soot buildup in my exhaust tips.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

wasinger3000

Please test it with the hood closed and car at normal operating temperature on the dyno.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

SHOdded

You could avoid momentum loss and heat gain on a split design with skinnier tubing and a dimpled inside surface on the tubing, assuming CF/heat rejecting material of course.  The exact numbers would need some computer modeling, keeping in mind minimization & equalization of backpressure.  Uneven inside diameter likely between the 2 sides.  Would it look as good or be as simple to install as the MDesign?  I dunno.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MDesign Performance

Quote from: wasinger3000 on January 22, 2015, 04:26:01 PM
Please test it with the hood closed and car at normal operating temperature on the dyno.

With the hood closed the intake draws air from the same location and in the same fashion of the OEM intake. I will let the members/clients who are doing the testing know about having the hood down.

Quote from: SHOdded on January 22, 2015, 04:39:18 PMWould it look as good or be as simple to install as the MDesign?

It would definitely take longer to install from experience as you are removing all turbo intake piping up to the turbos. Also I believe looking good means removing as little of the OEM engineered design as possible, which the MDesign CAI also accomplishes. Aluminum, metal pipes are not an improvement over the OEM plastic. Even when using sealed filters on the setup below it still did not perform as well as the production run MDesign CAI.