• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

BMW M5

Started by bigmoneycloser, September 06, 2014, 07:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmoneycloser

Was looking into a BMW M5, E60.
Despite the cost, anyone experienced with it and have any insight into pros and cons? I'm just looking into it now.. It might be my next ride in about a year or so depending if I still like it...
Thx
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

markssho

Folks around here ditch them before the maintenance warranty/coverage is up saying they are costly to maintain afterwards. They are awesome though!
2010 Taurus SHO, Cinnamon, 402B, ACC

BiGMaC

BMW's GDIs have one of the worst reputations for coking intake valves of all makes.  Owners report noticeable declines in performance before 10K miles ... The owners who want performance put it in for manual intake valve cleaning annually.... At least that's what they're blogging.... Googling will get you details.

Generally very nice cars, but German engineering seems to leave the creature comforts a bit austere.  I did drive this among several Bimis before I bought the SHO.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOdded

Unless you are a diehard BMW enthusiast, keep it for as long as factory warranty is available, as Mark said.

And from what the little birdies are telling me lately, make sure your vehicle is not sending data back to the factory/dealership without your consent.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on September 06, 2014, 10:23:47 PM
Unless you are a diehard BMW enthusiast, keep it for as long as factory warranty is available, as Mark said.

And from what the little birdies are telling me lately, make sure your vehicle is not sending data back to the factory/dealership without your consent.
Wow, that's crazy...

FoMoCoSHO

And whats weird is via Torque, I know my ECM wakes up all the time....

SHOdded

Probably just insomnia :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on September 06, 2014, 10:46:59 PM
Probably just insomnia :)
She's probably just restless from how little I've been driving her lately.

bigmoneycloser

Yeah I just started researching
The 2013 M5 F10 is a V8 twin turbo with I think 560ish Hp from the factory. Last thing I need or want is a maintenance nightmare..
So gonna do homework, I have plenty of time..
Who knows what once I add DP's, exhaust, IC, tune and intake..sure sounds like fun.. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

PokerMunkee

I'd get a CTS-V.  Keep it Murica!

Can you even get a remote start or cooled seats on the M5?
2013 SHO PP - Ignot Silver/Charcoal
Unleashed 91 tune w/ 3BAR, Corsa exhaust, LEDs everywhere
2011 F-250 6.2 CCSB FX4

wasinger3000

What about the ML 63 AMG?
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

BiGMaC

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

bigmoneycloser

CTS v is on the list too. And I'm still a while away from pulling the trigger. Just making my list and gathering info..

2014 Explorer Sport 401A

BiGMaC

Quote from: bigmoneycloser on September 07, 2014, 08:36:04 AM
CTS v is on the list too. And I'm still a while away from pulling the trigger. Just making my list and gathering info..

Drove one of those too... the CTSV coupe MSRP $74K ... had to turn the radio up uncomfortably loud to here it over the road noise and phone had trouble working due to the interior noise.  Had to crawl in and "sit on the floor".   Not a very comfortable ride, but performance-wise was really fun!  $70K+ before you'd consider it. Still you should drive one, especially if you haven't ever done so... just to feel that power

bigmoneycloser

Quote from: BiGMaC on September 07, 2014, 08:55:41 AM
Quote from: bigmoneycloser on September 07, 2014, 08:36:04 AM

Drove one of those too... the CTSV coupe MSRP $74K ... had to turn the radio up uncomfortably loud to here it over the road noise and phone had trouble working due to the interior noise.  Had to crawl in and "sit on the floor".   Not a very comfortable ride, but performance-wise was really fun!  $70K+ before you'd consider it. Still you should drive one, especially if you haven't ever done so... just to feel that power

Absolutely right...
That's why I'm starting now.. Gonna narrow down a few cars and then take some rides then add and remove from the list...
By the time I'm ready.... Who knows what I will end up with... Lol
Part of my research is what type of available mods for each vehicle, so I know what I'm getting into..
Might also look at older Audi  RS7. Who knows..

2014 Explorer Sport 401A