• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

BMW M5

Started by bigmoneycloser, September 06, 2014, 07:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BiGMaC

Quote from: bigmoneycloser on September 07, 2014, 09:00:55 AM

Quote from: BiGMaC on September 07, 2014, 08:55:41 AM
Quote from: bigmoneycloser on September 07, 2014, 08:36:04 AM
CTS v is on the list too. And I'm still a while away from pulling the trigger. Just making my list and gathering info..

Drove one of those too... the CTSV coupe MSRP $74K ... had to turn the radio up uncomfortably loud to here it over the road noise and phone had trouble working due to the interior noise.  Had to crawl in and "sit on the floor".   Not a very comfortable ride, but performance-wise was really fun!  $70K+ before you'd consider it. Still you should drive one, especially if you haven't ever done so... just to feel that power

Absolutely right...
That's why I'm starting now.. Gonna narrow down a few cars and then take some rides then add and remove from the list...
By the time I'm ready.... Who knows what I will end up with... Lol
Part of my research is what type of available mods for each vehicle, so I know what I'm getting into..
Might also look at older Audi  RS7. Who knows..
As I stated.. not a big German fan..BUT, I loved the performance in the Audi's a couple of years ago when you could still get a v8, even in an RS5, without going to their specialty shop and adding 50% to the MSRP!

Good luck in the hunt!

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

curry67

bigmoneycloser

Still a sedan with a little size..
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

EcoPowerParts

Get an R8 V10, they're blowing away the UGR Lambo cars with a twin turbo setup. :)
Tom's CTS-V ride must have been in a modified car I would imagine, stock they're pretty dang quiet inside.
I'd also look used as you can pick them up for mid 40's pretty easily with LOW miles for a 12 or 13.
The thing that sucks is no bluetooth audio streaming and the nav sucks horribly compared to the Ford BUT for almost no money in mods you can run 10's pretty easily with a drag radial setup.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

EcoPowerParts

Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

TSS

2010 Steel Blue Metallic MKS Ecoboost: LME 3-Bar Tuned; tint; 20" Factory rims Permachromed

2017 Summit White Buick Envision Premium AWD 2.0 Turbo
2017 Silver Cadillac XTS V-Sport Platinum  3.6 Twin Turbo; LME tuned.

black99lightning

2013 Esport 13.44 @ 103.6
1999 Lightning 12.44 @ 108.4
2012 GT500 10.96 @ 130.6
2006 GTO 12.83 @ 107.8
2013 CTSV coupe 11.79 @ 119.7

wasinger3000

^ That or SL63. 
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

SwampRat

2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

TSS

The new Infinity sedan they keep tempting us with that will have the GT-R engine.....
2010 Steel Blue Metallic MKS Ecoboost: LME 3-Bar Tuned; tint; 20" Factory rims Permachromed

2017 Summit White Buick Envision Premium AWD 2.0 Turbo
2017 Silver Cadillac XTS V-Sport Platinum  3.6 Twin Turbo; LME tuned.

wasinger3000

^ I think it will be out by 2017 or so it's rumored. I'd like to see how it looks before anything else.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

lejeunebimmer

For the OP:

Coming from someone who is a BMW fanatic.

The E60 has the wonderful S85B50 engine-5.0 liter V10 Multi-port fuel injected, 10 throttle bodies, quasi dry-sump oiling system, etc et al.
Buy one that has had the recommended maintaince schedule followed (I.e. Valve adjustments every 30k or so, and 5-7.5k oil changes with castrol tws 10W60) and the engine will be darn near bullet proof.

The body and paint are great on BMW's no need to cover it

Interior has great fit and finish, BUT if you ever need to take it apart for whatever reason it is a royal pain to get back together so that it never squeaks or rattles because of the tight tolerances.

Brakes are okay for the first stop or two but quickly fade away, I would honestly upgrade to some stop tech if you plan to ever go to the track or anything else with it with some regularity, or if you are a semi-talented driver. Also don't be surprised at 700-800 bucks just to the fronts yourself. The brakes on these are over-priced for how underwhelming they are.

Suspension is amazing stock, but around 80-100k the struts and shocks will need to be replaced, and likely all ruber bushings in the suspension. Unlike American cars where the rubber seems to last forever on BMW they wear out, and once worn you can tell a huge difference in handling (when worn out the steering feel becomes almost like that of a SHO). Not to say that SHOs don't handle well because they do indeed amaze me, but the steering feedback just isn't there like a BMW.

MOST IMPORTANT

DO NOT GET THE DCT transmission. They are fun and amazingly fast, but they eat clutches and flywheels every 30k or so. And if the hydraulic pump ever goes, you're out several grand for it. YOU MUST GET THE MANUAL!!! A well maintained manual tranny M5 will last you a life time.

Lastly preventive I've maintaince is imperative on BMW's if you do not fix that stupid $10 part it will destroy a 3k part. It's not like most american cars where you can just neglect them and they continue to run for 100k until the finally blow. Conversely take care of it, and at 200k you will only think it had 50k on it. The same cannot be said for most other (well maintained) high mileage cars. They will still give away their age somewhat. 
2014 Taurus Sho PP Ruby Red
BOV VTA, 50% Tint, ClearBra, LED Puddle lamps, LED license plate lamps

2012 Deep Blue Pearl Edge Limited AWD

SHOdded

Good info!  Though I am surprised about the brakes.  We hear complaints with the Ford OEM brakes all the time, but BMW brakes are renowned albeit dusty.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

lejeunebimmer

Quote from: SHOdded on October 03, 2014, 05:41:42 AM
Good info!  Though I am surprised about the brakes.  We hear complaints with the Ford OEM brakes all the time, but BMW brakes are renowned albeit dusty.

Oh the brakes stop very well indeed. The problem is they start to fade after just a couple of high speed brake applications. On the street this is likely to never be a problem, but take it to the track and it can get hairy.
2014 Taurus Sho PP Ruby Red
BOV VTA, 50% Tint, ClearBra, LED Puddle lamps, LED license plate lamps

2012 Deep Blue Pearl Edge Limited AWD

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!