• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

**Help Needed**

Started by SHO-TYM, August 10, 2014, 09:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHO-TYM

so today I was driving home from a camping trip when I had to make a rapid lane shift into the right lane due to some nimrod slamming on his breaks to turn into a local donut shop... when I got into the other lane, there was a big puddle of water that had built up from a recent down pour.  I couldn't miss it.... I slammed into the puddle of water at around 45-50mph.  I kept the car straight, and came out the other side unscathed (or so I thought).  I get about 2 minutes down the road, and I notice a weird whine coming from the front right wheel area.  So I turned off all electronics (radio, AC, AC seats, headlights) and began to listen.  The whine would get faster as I increased my speed, and would decrease as my speed decreased.  Sound doesn't change as gears change, so I am thinking it is not the transmission, but must have something to do with the wheel/axel area.  The car drives straight and there are no weird vibrations, or jerking that happens.... car feels great....but the sound that has just started has me worried.  I am trying to avoid the dealership, so any help from my community would be greatly appreciated.
2011 Ford Taurus SHO non PP, Livernois Motorsports Windstorm Intake, LME Stage 4+X Meth Tune, 160* thermostat, new motorcraft plugs gapped at .028. 3 Bar Map Sensor, LMS non-catted down pipes, Corsa Catback System, ALKY Methanol Injection, LED Puddle Lights, and (ATP upgraded turbos on the way)
Road & Track Article
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/a25497/this-is-what-a-550-hp-ford-taurus-sho-looks-like/

glock-coma

The sudden lane change could have done something to the wheel hub assembly.
Can you tell what side of the car its coming from?
Edit: I see it's the right side,
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SHO-TYM

2011 Ford Taurus SHO non PP, Livernois Motorsports Windstorm Intake, LME Stage 4+X Meth Tune, 160* thermostat, new motorcraft plugs gapped at .028. 3 Bar Map Sensor, LMS non-catted down pipes, Corsa Catback System, ALKY Methanol Injection, LED Puddle Lights, and (ATP upgraded turbos on the way)
Road & Track Article
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/a25497/this-is-what-a-550-hp-ford-taurus-sho-looks-like/

glock-coma

Does the sound stay constant or get louder when you turn the wheel in either direction while
Moving Or when turning?

SHOdded

Might work itself out as it dries out, but could be a wheel bearing on that side starting to go.  The water just exposed the problem.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

glock-coma

generally speaking when you turn to the left and it gets louder it's the right side wheel bearing because that's the side the weight of the car gets transferred to

SHO-TYM

Quote from: glock-coma on August 10, 2014, 09:42:56 PM
generally speaking when you turn to the left and it gets louder it's the right side wheel bearing because that's the side the weight of the car gets transferred to
The sound didn't appear to change as I turn. I will be testing it a little more as I go to work in the morning. I hate mystery car problems. But it kinda does resemble the "humming" of a bad bearing. If it is a bearing, is it normal for it to go bad by 55k miles?
Quote from: SHOdded on August 10, 2014, 09:41:37 PM
Might work itself out as it dries out, but could be a wheel bearing on that side starting to go.  The water just exposed the problem.
Road & Track Article

SHOnUup

Maybe something in the water got pushed up in between the rotor and brake dust shield thing a ma jigger...
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

glock-coma

Yes and no. There's no set time table for wheel bearing. The sudden cool down of the bearings from the puddle could have put it over the edge.

glock-coma

Quote from: SHOnUup on August 10, 2014, 09:51:51 PM
Maybe something in the water got pushed up in between the rotor and brake dust shield thing a ma jigger...

Its possible, the dust shields are pretty thin and flimsy .  could have bent it against the rotor

SHO-TYM

Quote from: glock-coma on August 10, 2014, 09:55:47 PM
Quote from: SHOnUup on August 10, 2014, 09:51:51 PM

Its possible, the dust shields are pretty thin and flimsy .  could have bent it against the rotor
Looks like I will start by taking my wheel off and make sure nothing is rubbing. When I looked under the car when I got home there were 2 hose cover things that had come off of the fuel lines under the car near the front passenger wheel, I thought since they were rubbing the ground then that could have been the problem, but I put them back where they were supposed to go and went for a test drive, and still had the same issue.
Road & Track Article

SHOnUup

When you jack the car up see if there's any play in the wheel, a sign of the hub assembly going is a wiggle in it.
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHO-TYM

Quote from: SHOnUup on August 10, 2014, 10:11:29 PM
When you jack the car up see if there's any play in the wheel, a sign of the hub assembly going is a wiggle in it.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll jack it up and check it out
Road & Track Article

ZSHO

Sorry for the late reply,the issue is with your roters and pads,at 55k have they eever been changed??.Check your tuner to see if you have any DTC codes set.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHO-TYM

Quote from: ZSHO on August 11, 2014, 07:08:26 AM
Sorry for the late reply,the issue is with your roters and pads,at 55k have they eever been changed??.Check your tuner to see if you have any DTC codes set.
Reason I don't think it's the rotors and pads is because the sound does not change when brakes are applied. I took a video just now, but can't upload until I get home tonight. And the sound doesn't seem to change when turning left or right. I turned sitting still, pulling out while turning, and taking a turn at speed.
Road & Track Article