• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU fluid change frustration

Started by ecoboostsho, July 17, 2014, 11:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOnUup

Quote from: ShoBoat on July 19, 2014, 12:36:09 AM
I am going to give this a shot tomorrow, mine is a 13 with PP. I'll let you guys know how I make out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good luck. As I enter garage this morning, the overwhelming smell of dirty PTU fluid screams, "do outside" next time.
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

ShoBoat

Well it turns out that the Temp sensor is the fill hole on the 13+PP cars. Unfortunately there is a heat shield in the way of that, and I just don't have enough room to get at it without a lift. I did remove the DP, I can see both the drain and the fill (Temp sensor). I just cant get to the retaining bolt for the Temp sensor heat shield. I can't even see it, I could only feel it above and behind the shield. So I am going to see if a buddy of mine has lift time available. I will keep you posted.
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

68_GT

let us know I gave up...........
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

ShoBoat

Quote from: 68_GT on July 19, 2014, 02:09:11 PM
let us know I gave up...........

Will do, I share your frustration. This is the second time attempting this. So maybe third times the charm?

2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

jmr061

Did any of you download the service manual instructions from my FTP?

Jason
16 Edge Sport

ShoBoat

I got the info from a friend if mine, the full instructions would be helpful to say the least.

SHOnUup

Go figure that the one with actual fill plug is a pain in the A $$ to do???
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

jmr061

FTP:71.89.39.226:29440
User : Taurus Club
Pass : 2013

Jason
16 Edge Sport

Brucelinc

I changed it on my 2010 MKS with 50,000 miles today.  I was able to remove the plug from the bottom using a swivel head ratchet.  I thought the plug would be pretty tight but it came out surprisingly easy.

I was able to remove about 12 ounces.  I just couldn't get the tube in as deeply as I would have liked to.  I must have been bumping into a gear or shaft or something.  The old fluid was much thinner than I expected - maybe because I did it while it was warm.  I have a burn on my arm to prove that.  Honestly, the old lube was not as bad as I expected.  The plug is magnetized and it had some residue on it but I have seen much worse in transmissions or differentials.

I think this is good maintenance but I do not think mine was in dire shape.  I might not drive my car as hard as some guys or maybe the fluid that I couldn't get out was really bad.  I don't know but at least I feel better about doing it.   

wasinger3000

I drive the s*** out of my car. The last 240 hours of driving I've averaged 17 mpg. Hah. So I assume the oil is drive dependant.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

Brucelinc

Quote from: wasinger3000 on July 19, 2014, 04:29:34 PM
I drive the s*** out of my car. The last 240 hours of driving I've averaged 17 mpg. Hah. So I assume the oil is drive dependant.

LOL....Oh, mine knows what full throttle is and I don't let it forget that there are a couple of turbos down there just itching to make some power.  However, I would say 95% of my driving is just commuting to work and cruising. 

Again, I am not discounting the value of changing the fluid.  It is definitely good maintenance but some might need it more than others - for whatever reason.

ecoboostsho

I don't beat on my car by any means but I definitely drive fast.  I build up a lot of heat cruising at pretty high speeds, passing etc...I did think of one more thing which is I actually had a leaking PTU seal (half shaft) 40K miles ago or so that was replaced under warranty.  I "Assumed" they would have topped it off at the time but now I am wondering if they di or if the fluid got contaminated?  I am going to reserve judgment until I do this again next weekend with my smaller tube and see if I can get more out.  I do know what I removed was more sludge like than liquid.
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

Brucelinc

When they changed the seal, they might not have gotten it full.  Changing it again soon is a good idea.  I had mine perfectly level and as soon as I took the plug out, some fluid ran down the side of the case so mine was plenty full.

It is not as comfortable but I think changing it when it is warm might help get more of it out.  Just a thought...

ecoboostsho

2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

jmr061

Just warm it up with a torch lol

Jason
16 Edge Sport