• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU fluid change frustration

Started by ecoboostsho, July 17, 2014, 11:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ecoboostsho

Just got off the highway. I wish I had recorded some data previously to doing this...like an 80-60 coast down time. It feels sooo much smoother...less drag. Not sure if it helps WOT but it can't hurt. I am definitely getting g a smaller tube next time although given how much I got back in I was definitely low and what I pulled out was sludge. It barely flows... Warranty was done 500 miles ago. Hopefully I did this in time.
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

wasinger3000

That's great to hear. I noticed a decrease in drive train drag as well.  It's amazing how such a small gear box is the pinch point of these systems.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

ecoboostsho

This is all I got with a mitivac. I am holding it almost horizontal and it isn't rushing out. #thatcan'tbegood
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)

wasinger3000

Wow that is bad. Mine was still fluid. A few flushes would be a good idea.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.

SHOnUup

That's some thick stuff right there. Coasting is smoother for sure and a rolling WOT seems more responsive. Didn't get to brake boost a launch but take off was crispy with firm shifts. Would give it at least 15 miles of stop n go through the gears as I only took small journey to e-way and first time getting on it produced a slight hesitation from gear to gear under high rpm's...after little warm up that was gone.
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

ecoboostsho

Glad to hear it helped. Did I mention how much I hate the smell of gear oil. Sitting down for dinner with my wife in a bit and am waiting for "what's that smell!?!"

SHOnUup

Quote from: ecoboostsho on July 18, 2014, 05:27:27 PM
Glad to hear it helped. Did I mention how much I hate the smell of gear oil. Sitting down for dinner with my wife in a bit and am waiting for "what's that smell!?!"
Oh yeah...used gear oil smells like auto death. My son smelled the jar (haha) 2 hours ago and says he can taste it still.
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

wasinger3000

Haha that crap lingers for days! Found out toothpaste on the hands gets it off.

SHOnUup

Just got back after a little spin. Gonna have to say that the biggest difference I've noticed now is when getting on it pretty hard and letting off at around 55 with all that torque built up and how it seems alot less harsh...got the chills a little!!!

ecoboostsho

Very cool! I may swap my fluid again tomorrow just because there was so much sludge in it.

SHOnUup

Be interesting to see how discolored it is from the quick change. Wonder how this royal purple is gonna look compared to the ford gear oil after some miles?

jmr061

Quote from: SHOdded on July 18, 2014, 12:41:38 PM
If there is a vent tube atop the unit, could have been fluid coming out of there down the side.

There is a tsb on that actually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason
16 Edge Sport

Boggus

Who's done this on a PP 13?  Would love to change mine in the near future.  Just want to know all before I begin.  25,600 on the clock
2013 unleashed SHO PP

SHOnUup

If I remember correctly, dpipe needs moved on 13 pp

ShoBoat

I am going to give this a shot tomorrow, mine is a 13 with PP. I'll let you guys know how I make out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.