• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU fluid change frustration

Started by ecoboostsho, July 17, 2014, 11:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOnUup

Wow...is there a suggested break in time, drive like a kitten period?
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

ecoboostsho

Quote from: SHOnUup on July 18, 2014, 11:55:46 AM

Bought and put the wobble end in the plug. Went on top of o2 sensor. Put a swivel on that and another long extension. Came right out! You sir are a genius. :)
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

SHOnUup

Quote from: ecoboostsho on July 18, 2014, 03:15:26 PM
Quote from: SHOnUup on July 18, 2014, 11:55:46 AM

Bought and put the wobble end in the plug. Went on top of o2 sensor. Put a swivel on that and another long extension. Came right out! You sir are a genius. :)
Glad to be of some help. Was lucky to spot the wobble as I've never used one before...trial and error at its best...thx
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

Brucelinc

I am getting excited about doing this.  The last time I did an oil change, I looked the situation over and it appeared removing the plug from the bottom would be tricky - at best.  I appreciate all of the "blow-by-blow" descriptions you all are providing about doing it through the wheel well.

Question:  After removing the plug, are you crawling under the car to insert the tube in the PTU?  I am not sure my fat @ss will fit without having the car on ramps.  This job would be easier with a lift....  I guess that is beyond obvious....

SHOnUup

Must get under to insert tube in PTU, no room to get arms in through wheel well...have car on 4 jack stands to keep level for refill...will definitely use mechanics well in pole barn next time

SHOnUup

Used this little pump to fill it up...worked pretty good besides the tight fit

SHOnUup

Took out 13-14 oz. After measuring fluid left in bottle, I ended up getting 14 back in it.

ecoboostsho

So I got out literally 2-3 ounces out and it was super pasty. Ugh.  Put about 10 back in. Going to do flush and refill/do over. Just over 60 k on the car. If you haven't done this...do it now!!
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)

ecoboostsho

I am going to try smaller tube next time although I thought I was on the bottom...what size did you guys use to remove the old stuff?

wasinger3000

Good to hear. Let me know how the car feels.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

SHOnUup

I pulled 2-3 and then kept wiggling around until I seemed to find a void and got rest out.

Any break in time before wot?

wasinger3000

Quote from: ecoboostsho on July 18, 2014, 04:22:19 PM
I am going to try smaller tube next time although I thought I was on the bottom...what size did you guys use to remove the old stuff?
I ended up using a 1/4 copper tube so I could shove it to the bottom without having the hose ball up or kink. It's tuff getting it to the bottom.

Can you take a picture of the fluid you took out?
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.

wasinger3000

Quote from: SHOnUup on July 18, 2014, 04:25:23 PM

I pulled 2-3 and then kept wiggling around until I seemed to find a void and got rest out.

Any break in time before wot?
I drove lightly in reverse and forward for a bit. Maybe 3 miles before I gave it wot.

SHOnUup

Nice...here we go...test drive time...

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!