• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU fluid change frustration

Started by ecoboostsho, July 17, 2014, 11:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ecoboostsho

Okay so I decided to make an attempt at tackling this today and was quickly thwarted.  I have an 11 PP edition and no matter how I try there isn't a straight shot to the plug in the side of the PTU.  I don't have the cooler and all of that on the '13+ but it looks to be the CAT, Oxygen sensor, and sway bar are conspiring against me in some perfect way to block any attempt at getting the socket extension in there.  It would be a straight shot if the oxygen sensor wasn't in the way.

I do remember that PP's have a nub and heat shield on the half shaft that caused some early downpipe interference...I am wondering if the exhaust is in a different place on mine?  (I know that sounds ridiculous)

I could obviously drop the CAT but that sounds like a major deal without a lift.  I'm wondering if I could disconnect the sway bar on both sides and rotate it out of the way?

Stuck...
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

ecoboostsho

2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)

ecoboostsho

wasinger3000

Hummmm. can you take a pic right below the O2 sensor? If I can see from that angle I'll know if it's different. 
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

ecoboostsho

Had to put the tire back on. May try and tackle it from under the car tomorrow...thanks for offering. I will get a better pic tomorrow if I can't figure it out.

SHOnUup

Might try mine tonight. Bought fluid and pump, so my OCD will kick in most likely. Mine is non pp 2011, will take a pic and share.
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHOnUup

It's back there. ..just over o2 sensor straight back almost same level as o2...large square type bit to get off...if looked at from under car it has (at least seen on couple cars now) red thread lock type stuff on it...
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

crash712us

Yeah your going to have to get under the car. It's not hard to get to it, a couple long extensions will be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

SHOnUup

What is the bit used to take out plug? Not mentioned in how to.

ecoboostsho

Just a 3/8 ratchet end...no socket required I believe.

SHOnUup

Thx...trying that now...definitely need a swivel to get back there as a straight shot doesn't work...knuckles are sore at this moment from the slip to knuckle bash...oooh

ecoboostsho

Quote from: SHOnUup on July 18, 2014, 10:18:00 AM
Thx...trying that now...definitely need a swivel to get back there as a straight shot doesn't work...knuckles are sore at this moment from the slip to knuckle bash...oooh
So you can't get in there straight with a non PP either?  Weird - as it sounds like some people have no problem.  Are you under the car or going in from the right front tire area?

SHOnUup

Yes...so close to straight shot but extension set up does not make it...binds up at o2 and create bad angle

ecoboostsho

Quote from: SHOnUup on July 18, 2014, 10:35:47 AM
Yes...so close to straight shot but extension set up does not make it...binds up at o2 and create bad angle
Yep same thing on mine from the right front...I still (hopefully) plan on trying it from under the car or I suppose I could attempt a swivel / extension if I can find the right lengths from the side.

SHOnUup

From under car is near impossible. I have skinny arms and hands and thought I was stuck in there this morning!!! Lol...had to take my son to ortho right now but before I left 2 9" extensions, swivel, and then 2 short extensions worked to get there. Didn't get to attempt the removal yet.