• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Getting my PTU flushed today

Started by jcl78, April 15, 2014, 03:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjhpadi

Just FYI, my Ford dealer did the change without an hassles, and is a BG service dealer, so after removing the old grease, they did a BG service cleaning of the PTU..refilled with Motorcraft Syn....I have read in several places that Motorcraft synthetic is amoung the best.  Since I plan on having this service done about every 25K, I was OK with using Motorcraft. When I have the transmission and rear diff done (at 30K) I plan on using Royal Purple for replacement. I believe my cost for draining, BG cleaning, and refill was in the $130.00 range...I was OK with that. Service Manager said the old fluid was beginning to break down, but wasn't terrible.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

68_GT

OK just picked up the Royal Purple oil, hand pump, and clear measuring cup / drain from Advanced Auto for $38. I'll try to knock this out over the weekend and have a look at the PP PTU original oil at 31K miles.
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

Fa-SHO

68_GT, how did it go?  I'm wanting to do this, but haven't seen much written about doing it on a '13 PP car.
2013 SHO w/PP, x-pipe, dynomax mufflers, k&n drop-in filter, 170* t-stat, 3-bar MAP, LMS tune
1/8th: 8.71 @ 84 mph (factory stock)
1/8th: 8.18 @ 84 mph (above mods)
1/4: 12.80 @ 107 mph (above mods)

68_GT

my Ford dealer wouldn't do it sorry I'm at a loss of words as to what to do. They claim it's not a service part and should be left alone. It was suggested to me to go to a more performance oriented Ford dealer. It just pissed me off so I gave up on it for now until a solution comes up, or I make it by a much farther dealer to try.
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

wasinger3000

I have RP on the way. I'll post a pic of the old oil once I get it on Wednesday.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

SHO-Pa

That's this weekend's project. I am going to grab a sample and send it off to Blackstone to see if the lube is really as bad and worn out as we think.

I'm going to put some Mobil 1 in there b/c that's what I have on the shelf. :)

I'll post info when the job is done this weekend.

(As an update to the 10k oil change interval, my OLM is still going with that frequency. I have about 3k on the oil now so I'll sample (or change) it at 7500 (or thereabouts) and see what the results are then.)
2011 SHO - stock
2016 Explorer XLT 2.3L "4wd"
2018 Focus Titanium

SHOdded

Would this be the first-ever Blackstone on PTU fluid?  Hopefully won't find any metal shavings or anything, just normal breakdown from usage!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ShoBoat

Quote from: 68_GT on July 07, 2014, 07:32:00 PM
my Ford dealer wouldn't do it sorry I'm at a loss of words as to what to do. They claim it's not a service part and should be left alone. It was suggested to me to go to a more performance oriented Ford dealer. It just pissed me off so I gave up on it for now until a solution comes up, or I make it by a much farther dealer to try.

Funny, I spoke to mine recently and they said they would do it. There is a procedure for PP cars with liquid cooling. Unfortunately they also wanted $300 to do the service lol. I haven't made my mind up yet. I am still planning on trying it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

68_GT

it's impossible.

as far as I could tell anwyay :) how do we get Ford's procedure for this ? is there a service number or something I can quote. I'd pay $300 I guess :(

ShoBoat

Quote from: 68_GT on July 09, 2014, 07:43:34 PM
it's impossible.

as far as I could tell anwyay :) how do we get Ford's procedure for this ? is there a service number or something I can quote. I'd pay $300 I guess :(

I'm at my dealer tomorrow and ask if he will give me the exact procedure. I know someone on this forum has access to the shop manual, maybe they could post a reference page or number? I know that if you don't have the fill and drain plug most dealers wont want to touch it, it's supposed to be a life time fluid in that case. The 13+ with PP are the only ones that do. In the owners manual there is even a reference to a monitor that will tell you when to change the fluid on the PP cars. Why the hell did they put in a drain plug and a monitor if you aren't supposed to change the fluid?

From the owners manual

he Power Transfer Unit (PTU) does not require any normal scheduled maintenance. Do not check or change the PTU lubricant unless the unit has been submerged in water or shows signs of leakageThe Power Transfer Unit (PTU) in some Taurus SHOTM vehicles is electronically monitored and notifies the driver of required service by displaying the message Change AWD/4WD Power Transfer Unit Lubein the information display. The PTU lube will be more likely to requirea fluid change if the vehicle has experienced extended periods of extreme/severe duty cycle driving. Do not check or change the PTU lubricant unless the unit has been submerged in water, shows signs of leakage or a message indicating required service is displayed. Contact your authorized dealer for service and to reset the PTU lube life monitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

SHOnUup

Really thinking of tackling this during the weekend when I change the oil. I've read through some other threads on this and is it suggested to just fill with same amount you pull out.
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

wasinger3000

Manual says 18 ounces. And I assume that's close to the fill hole like 99% of the other designs like this. I stuck a camera in the PTU and it looks to be free of any paste like stuff. I can see little channels/inward oil baffles or cooling fins, inside. I can see the oil as well and there is more to be pulled out.  Just trying to find the right little angle to get into it.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.

SHOnUup

Got mcgyver like with the camera...nice...wonder if jacking car up higher (probably take more than we can do) on opposite side of drain would help
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

wasinger3000

SHOnUup

Good stuff!!!

Are you planning to just match the amount taken out for filling back up?