• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Getting my PTU flushed today

Started by jcl78, April 15, 2014, 03:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kolk1

Quote from: JohnnyBravo on April 16, 2014, 03:48:02 PM
How many quarts of gear oil do you need to have in order to do the flush?
Bump. I'm at 64k and haven't done it yet, but talked to my mechanic yesterday about it.

MeanKS

Quote from: Kolk1 on April 17, 2014, 09:33:13 AM
Quote from: JohnnyBravo on April 16, 2014, 03:48:02 PM
How many quarts of gear oil do you need to have in order to do the flush?
Bump. I'm at 64k and haven't done it yet, but talked to my mechanic yesterday about it.

got this info from another EB message board, dated fromlast year:

Originally posted by First-SHOView Post

What are the factory spec weights and how many qts each for the rear diff and PTU?
Just did some searching and found:

PTU uses 1.1 pints (less than 1 qt) of either 75w140 or 80w140

Rear Diff uses 2.3 pints (less than 2 qts) of 75w90 or 80w90
MKS-EB...

n8rfastback

Fill plug is on passenger side,would it help to have passenger side of car jacked up higher than driver side so you could put in a little extra fluid before putting plug back in?
2010 SHO

crash712us

You need definitely don't want to put extra in. It will come out the breather. Car needs to be level to properly fill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

IHeartGroceries

Why is it spec'd so heavy?

I think it's pretty clear that high temps and/or overheating is what's degradating the gear oils so badly.

So, hasn't there been a 13+ PP owner who's swapped in new oil?

I'm going to swap to Redline 75W140. Has a high VI rating, and is otherwise recognized as a good gear oil.
However, I saw a spec sheet on Ford's Motorcraft factory fill, and it looked pretty good.

I think overall this can be attributed to a poor cooling design - sparse oil, no oil and no aux water cooling (on non PPs).

In the next couple months, I'll be at 15k miles, at which time, I'm going to flush, and see just how well the water cooling does for the oil on PP equipped cars.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

BiGMaC

IHG... I'll be really interested in what you find.  I've currently planned 25K flush and change in my non-PP SHO, but it just a guess on my part for now.  Seems only the failed PTU's show up for analysis.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

68_GT

I went by my dealer today they didn't want my money for a PTU oil change. They said my SHO is good for a long time on everything. They stated they only recommend chaning PTU oil if there's a problem. I said but ecoboost forums said ! lol no but I did tell him I have seen some ugly stuff on internet forums but they stick with that they are trained / told.

I wanted to do my PP PTU this weekend since I'm at 31K miles but I'm going out of town so I don't know when I can get to it, but it will be in the next few days / week max.
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

Night Hawk

Quote from: 68_GT on April 17, 2014, 05:42:18 PM
I went by my dealer today they didn't want my money for a PTU oil change. They said my SHO is good for a long time on everything. They stated they only recommend chaning PTU oil if there's a problem. I said but ecoboost forums said ! lol no but I did tell him I have seen some ugly stuff on internet forums but they stick with that they are trained / told.

I wanted to do my PP PTU this weekend since I'm at 31K miles but I'm going out of town so I don't know when I can get to it, but it will be in the next few days / week max.
Lol but they will be fine swapping out your PTU when it destroys itself.  I recommend you find a reputable local shop to do it.
2017 Fusion Sport
GFB DivValve/165* Thermo
K&N Panel/CFM Breather
Ult Perf Int Garrett Core/MKZ oil cooler
FMS 70mm TB/ NGK .026/LMS V6 93

Night Hawk

2017 Fusion Sport
GFB DivValve/165* Thermo
K&N Panel/CFM Breather
Ult Perf Int Garrett Core/MKZ oil cooler
FMS 70mm TB/ NGK .026/LMS V6 93

IHeartGroceries

Yeah, you can always find somebody outside of the Ford house to take care of this service.

Interestingly, it seems almost universal that the Ford house service departments believe that these things needn't be tampered with.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
2013 SHO PP

68_GT

Quote from: Night Hawk on April 17, 2014, 06:14:11 PM
Lol but they will be fine swapping out your PTU when it destroys itself.  [/quote]

right on lol..... I didn't feel like bothering with them I just wanted to ask and see. I'll do it myself here pretty quick.
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

SHO-Pa

Quote from: IHeartGroceries on April 17, 2014, 05:13:23 PM

I'm going to swap to Redline 75W140. Has a high VI rating, and is otherwise recognized as a good gear oil.
However, I saw a spec sheet on Ford's Motorcraft factory fill, and it looked pretty good.

I see Royal Purple, Amsoil and Redline mentioned. What's the thoughts about Mobil 1?

The PTU and rear axle don't need friction modifier do they?
2011 SHO - stock
2016 Explorer XLT 2.3L "4wd"
2018 Focus Titanium

BiGMaC

Quote from: SHO-Pa on April 23, 2014, 07:25:14 PM
Quote from: IHeartGroceries on April 17, 2014, 05:13:23 PM

I see Royal Purple, Amsoil and Redline mentioned. What's the thoughts about Mobil 1?

The PTU and rear axle don't need friction modifier do they?

M1 is good.  Royal Purple beats it on all five major characteristics tested in objective studies... just Google it.  A lot of folks like AmsOil too

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

68_GT

What Royal Purple weight and amount is recommended ? Going to get some tomorrow. Planning to do mine this weekend.

glock-coma

Quote from: 68_GT on April 23, 2014, 10:58:14 PM
What Royal Purple weight and amount is recommended ? Going to get some tomorrow. Planning to do mine this weekend.

PTU  18 OZ.   75/140

RDU  2.4 pints  75/90

2010 RCM non PP
K&N panel filter
sp534 @ 30
unleashed 93 performance+boost
more to come.....

2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)