• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Getting my PTU flushed today

Started by jcl78, April 15, 2014, 03:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcl78

Hello All,

So I finally scheduled my PTU flush for today with my mechanic (same one that changed my master cylinder) so we shall see how it goes. I am asking him to save the old fluid or take a picture of it so we can add it to the archives here. I am right at 38K miles, so we shall see just how bad it is. This is definitely good piece of mind for keeping the PTU in top shape.

Updates to follow...

BiGMaC

Can the pics also show the opened PTU with everything in situ?

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOdded

Do you know how he plans to flush the PTU fluid?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

Quote from: BiGMaC on April 15, 2014, 03:56:50 PM
Can the pics also show the opened PTU with everything in situ?
Quote from: SHOdded on April 15, 2014, 04:30:16 PM
Do you know how he plans to flush the PTU fluid?

Ooooh... hadn't thought of that Manu... is the dealer gonna suck out the fluid and refill, ...or... take it off... open it... clean it... fill it... then reinstall?

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

jcl78

He will be sucking out the old and putting new in, so no dissasembly pics :) I guess it is not a true flush.

sixtn39

I am about to have this done with my next scheduled maintenance, what is the forum's recommended replacement fluid? I am a fan of Amsoil products.
2011 SHO non PP
Love my Adaptive cruise

SHOdded

Royal Purple is the most common replacement brand used by forum members, 1 or 2 folks talked about going at it with AMSOIL, don't know how they are faring so far.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

jcl78

Ok, back with news, yes indeed the old gear lube is nasty sludge. My mechanic was shocked at two things, the condition of the lube at only 38K miles, and the very small amount of fluid the PTU holds. He did the procedure twice, and he still recommends in a month or so to bring it back and have it done one more time to get the remaining sludge out. They did provide me with a sample of the used fluid, I will snap a few pics here soon and post it. I would recommend every 30K miles at most for PTU fluid change (20K if you track the car or drive hard).

IHeartGroceries

Let me guess - consistency of pudding? Lol

Chalk up another who thinks the capacity of fluid housed in the PTU is utterly insane.

Going to perform this little procedure pretty soon myself. I'm at 12.5K miles now. Thinking about making 15K my interval.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

crash712us

I would like to see how fluid is holding up in 2013+ PP cars as the PTU is water cooled. I have for a while now thought of ways to increase capacity and add cooling to the PTU in my car. And I believe it could be done, with the fitment of a drain plug would give a way to add a cooler. Which would add a little more capacity is just doing that, but what I visualize is putting on rear dif cooler on the PTU. Which consists of a thermostatically controlled oil pump and cooler. Other simpler alternatives to test is better oils and friction modifiers. I have read about product recently that I have thought about giving a try. But unfortunately having the time and funds and priority for me lately I am lacking. Plus injuring my hand recently doesn't help either.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

68_GT

I need to do mine it's a 2013 PP I need a good / simple how to. I have 30k on the odometer.
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

crash712us

From looking diagrams on fordparts.com on the 2013 pp it looks like it may actually have drain plug. I don't see a fill plug, but it could be filled thru breather tube or thru the drain.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

SHOdded

68_GT, looking forward to your drain-and-fill results!

Crash, sorry to hear about your hand, hope it goes to 110% soon!

68_GT

any links to completing that job ? Wonder if I can do it on ramps in my driveway ? need some fresh Mobil 1 while I'm at it.
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

crash712us

Thanks shodded! Sorry 68 no how-to I am aware for this yet. But can't hurt to get under there and have a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk