• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

LMS tune updates

Started by 68_GT, March 05, 2014, 12:26:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68_GT

thought is might be good to start a thread to discuss any updates LMS customer come across so we can keep each ther updated here on any new updates.

My latest tune adjustment was uploaded on 2-20-14.
For my 2013 SHO
This was a:
91V7CW and a 93V7CW. the "CW" is for cold weather fuels which initially eliminated my higer rpm hesitations at wide open throttle. That is until I had to put in 92 octane fuel then I felt but not near what is was before. Hopefully the lower octane is all that caused it. This tune included a 170*Tstat which I havne't put in yet but I'll get to it ASAP. No changes evident with the stok stat still in. Of course I only loaded the 93 tune.

LMS e-mail info compliation from Anthony about it....
The CW is our latest tune revision which is improved performance for cold weather as well which some customers were reporting a stutter at wide open throttle at high rpm.  The CW tunes have only been necessary for cold weather so most of our customers plan on changing back the the v7 for the warmer months. I will get the 3 bar tune set up for you but I see you have had both with and with out cw and both with and with out thermostat tunes.The 3 bar map sensor allows for greater tuning capabilities due to the vehicle being able to recognize boost higher than 14.5 psi.  It is also a requirement for running methanol injection or upgraded turbos. Your vehicle may allow for more boost if it sees fit. The vehicles base boost off of torque on the ecoboost platform so every vehicle can vary depending on climate, barometric pressure and so on.      

On 3-3-14 I got the following tune updated to the server but haven't had a chance to mess with it yet.
93V7CW-170*3bar-3barMAP
93V7-170*stat-3barMAP

I'll run the 93CW170-3bar for now and the non CW in the warmer months.

LMS info from Anthony
I have set you up with a 93v7  170 3 BAR and also the cold weather version 93v7p CW 170 3 BAR.  We are in the development stages on any future upgrades at this time such as fuel system upgrades

all that being said if my SHO was making over 14.5 PSI with a 2 bar what does it do ? I mean other than not recognize the added boost ? seems like that would be a lean condition if the ECU doesn't recognize the added boost and therefore doesn't add more fuel ??? or it bleeds off the boost in excess to 14.5 ??

guess I'll just have to put in my 3bar MAP and loade the tune to see if there's any performace gains with a 3bar MAP and 3bar tune on 93 w/o meth.
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

Joleat

Quote from: 68_GT on March 05, 2014, 12:26:04 PM
all that being said if my SHO was making over 14.5 PSI with a 2 bar what does it do ? I mean other than not recognize the added boost ? seems like that would be a lean condition if the ECU doesn't recognize the added boost and therefore doesn't add more fuel ??? or it bleeds off the boost in excess to 14.5 ??

guess I'll just have to put in my 3bar MAP and loade the tune to see if there's any performace gains with a 3bar MAP and 3bar tune on 93 w/o meth.

I'm also interested in knowing what happens if additional boost is produced without a 3-bar MAP. My greatest fear is a lean condition.
Project: MKSinister-2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost-Tuxedo Black Metallic Exterior-Black Ultimate Leather Interior-EcoBoost Appearance Package-Unleashed SCT X4-3Bar MAP-SP534 Spark Plugs-Power Stop Drilled and Slotted Rotors and Evolution Ceramic Brake Pads-General G-Max AS-03 Tires-Debadged-Color Matched Grille-Anthracite Gray Wheels-Gloss Black Vinyl Over Chrome-35% Window Tint

DJE624

I won't be able to tell if my 3 Bar tune allows for more boost until it warms up here.  The colder, condensed air here lowers my requirement for boost.  But, I can tell you it runs and idles extremely well.

68_GT

Quote from: DJE624 on March 05, 2014, 12:54:20 PM
I won't be able to tell if my 3 Bar allows for more boost until it warms up here.  The colder, condensed air here lowers my requirement for boost.  But, I can tell you it runs and idles extremely well.

how does that work ? oddly I dont notice any performance difference in my SHO in 32* weather vs +80*. I guess its only going to let you make a certain power level regardless of outside temps ??????? Does the ECU throttle back power if the incomming air temps are cold ?
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

DJE624

Our turbos are controlled by torque demand.  There are other variables (that I don't completely understand) but one of them is that colder, condensed air requires less boost for the same torque.  My peak boost has changed from over 14 in the summer (80-90+) to 11 in near zero weather.  There is also something about winter fuel and efficiency in there too.

Larrylu

Glad to hear what boost you are getting in this weather Dave. Me too!  I was starting to feel disadvantaged.  Right after changing my plugs, I was reading slightly higher boost, but the car was running bad....like hitting a rev limiter at the top of the shifts. Turns out I had a vacuum sensor leak causing an over boost condition that the ECU dealt with by pulling something.....don't know what. Now my boost is around 11.25 and the car never has run better. I will hopefully see some higher boost numbers this summer. Sorry for the thread jack but I couldn't resist.
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

68_GT

OK my next mod is to request more demand for torque in my tune :)

I wondered why my car felt the same in all temps. Darn you Ford ! it should just add more fuel for the colder air intake temps and let us pick up 30-40 hp in cold air for the winter months !

DJE624

Glad to hear it Larry!  I was telling Tom about it but he's in hot weather and wondered what was wrong.  I'm glad I'm not the only one effected with DB-diminish boost. :clown:

BTW, when I went out last night for a run after putting the stock box back in, I had 11 psi peak.  It ran like a champ.  Launched at 2K, spun like mad (like a couple seconds) on the salt and still pulled a 5 flat to 60. I'm sure on good pavement, I'll be looking at low to mid 4's.

DJE624

Quote from: 68_GT on March 05, 2014, 02:23:25 PM
OK my next mod is to request more demand for torque in my tune :)

I wondered why my car felt the same in all temps. Darn you Ford ! it should just add more fuel for the colder air intake temps and let us pick up 30-40 hp in cold air for the winter months !

It does pick up alittle going down from 90+ to say 50 degrees.  But once you get really cold, that's it.  Car still performs. Just not over performs.  :clown:

Brucelinc

I am sorry to jump off topic, too, but I always thought MORE boost was generated when the air was cold.  I am glad to learn otherwise.  I have no way at present to measure boost so I will defer to you guys who can actually measure it.  It seems to me that my car runs much stronger when the temps are cold, though.  Maybe that is my imagination.

SHOdded

Cold air = denser air = natural boost, so no need for as much artificial boost.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

DJE624

I think it's running just as strong with less boost. 

BiGMaC

Quote from: DJE624 on March 05, 2014, 02:27:46 PM
Glad to hear it Larry!  I was telling Tom about it but he's in hot weather and wondered what was wrong.  I'm glad I'm not the only one effected with DB-diminish boost. :clown:

BTW, when I went out last night for a run after putting the stock box back in, I had 11 psi peak.  It ran like a champ.  Launched at 2K, spun like mad (like a couple seconds) on the salt and still pulled a 5 flat to 60. I'm sure on good pavement, I'll be looking at low to mid 4's.

Dave... Don't you think your comparison between aftermarket CAI and the OEM box in a real life "on the street" test also shows, like the comparison of no box vs OEM box we did on the dyno, that air flow intake is not a point of performance restriction for the SHO... At least with factory boost tables functioning in the ECU?

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

DJE624

Quote from: BiGMaC on March 05, 2014, 02:38:01 PM
Dave... Don't you think your comparison between aftermarket CAI and the OEM box in a real life "on the street" test also shows, like the comparison of no box vs OEM box we did on the dyno, that air flow intake is not a point of performance restriction for the SHO... At least with factory boost tables functioning in the ECU?

I have always been a proponent of the stock box.  I just put the Typhoon on cause it was discounted  and looked cool.  The stock box flows as much as needed and the heat sink factor may be to it's advantage.   But, the reason I swapped back is that the rasp of the turbos spooling was annoying.  Like your test Tom, I think the stock box is the next best thing to a wide open intake.  (I should mention here that I do run the K&N panel.)

DJE624

Now, I must apologize to 68 GT for helping jack his thread.