• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

10K Oil Change Interval??!!

Started by SHO-Pa, April 11, 2014, 03:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHO-Pa

What is the general "rule" for oil change intervals on the 3.5L? I'm driving to work the other day and I thought "Hmm. I had the oil changed in this a while ago. I wonder when its due...." So I look it up and it was almost 5000 miles ago but the "oil life monitor" shows 51%. 10K oil change interval? Really now!

At the moment, its got Motorcraft semi-syn 5/30. Soon to be Mobil 1 EP.

I'm thinking with the turbos, 5k is more like it. What do others on the forum do?
2011 SHO - stock
2016 Explorer XLT 2.3L "4wd"
2018 Focus Titanium

crash712us

That the interval I use is every 5k.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

mbehna

I thought the manual specified 7500 miles. From the manual

When to expect the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message
Interval Vehicle use and examples
7500-10000 miles
(12000-16000 km)
Normal
– Normal commuting with highway driving
– No, or moderate, load or towing
– Flat to moderately hilly roads
– No extended idling
5000-7499 miles
(8000-11999 km)
Severe
– Moderate to heavy load or towing
– Mountainous or off-road conditions
– Extended idling
– Extended hot or cold operation
3000-4999 miles
(4800-7999 km)
Extreme
– Maximum load or towing
– Extreme hot or cold operation
2014 SHO
2001 Mustang GT

IHeartGroceries

Screw that.

I changed the oil in mine the other day, which had approximately 4K miles on it. I couldn't believe how visibly sheared it looked, carbon black and GAS laden it was.

I gathered a sample for UOA.

By the way, how does one reset the oil life monitor?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

panther427

I am going to shoot for 3-5k miles... or the three months. I do not like long drain periods on turbo motors. The oil is exposed to much higher temps.
2013 SHO

SHO-Pa

Quote from: panther427 on April 11, 2014, 03:36:45 PM
I am going to shoot for 3-5k miles... or the three months. I do not like long drain periods on turbo motors. The oil is exposed to much higher temps.

That's what I was thinking which is why I was really surprised at the change interval. I couldn't sleep at night going 10k on the oil and I think I would be restless at 7500.
2011 SHO - stock
2016 Explorer XLT 2.3L "4wd"
2018 Focus Titanium

goblues38

I have been using Mobil 1 since 1992 when I bought a Brand New LT1 corvette and it came factory filled with Mobil1.  Was doing changes every 3k.

then I sat on a plane and talked with a Pennzoil rep.  he laughed and said the oil change companies like jiffy lube were driving the 3 month 3k miles thing.  he predicted the intervals we see now, and said most oils, even non synthetic were fine to 10k miles.

Then in 2001 i bought an audi A6 2.7 twin turbo.  they had a schedule of 7.5 k on normal oil.  i used mobil 1 and stayed on that schedule.

my volvo S60r, again, 7.5k schedule on synthetic.

My audi and volvo were both turbo cars and i did not baby them.  7.5k oil changes with mobil 1 and never a single issue.  in fact, i use that old oil for my lawn mower.

I have no problem with both my eco boosts just waiting for the gauge to tell me when to change the oil.  10k on mobil 1.  I worry about other things now.
2013 SHO w/pp
     -35% tint
     -relay wired to have parking lights on any time car is running
     -SCTx4 (Torrie Tune)
2014 Explorer Sport

panther427

What you say is true you can safely go longer distance. The actual oil generally doesn't brake down. Its the additive packages that get used up. But its cheap insurance to me.  I wish i could remember exactally how this one guy put it to me.

Something like just because it will last do you wanna bet your motor on it.  That and do you really wanna use 100% of your oils additives and dirt holding ability
Or would you feel safer at 25% or 50%. Im not against longer change intervals but i know how i,drive the elevations, temp swings and loads and stress i put my car through.

I use quality oil that can and will last longer than personal oil drain,choice. So that if life is busy or i forget i dont have to worry about it. I know when i have a chance at a later time im not hurting anything
2013 SHO

black99lightning

2013 Esport 13.44 @ 103.6
1999 Lightning 12.44 @ 108.4
2012 GT500 10.96 @ 130.6
2006 GTO 12.83 @ 107.8
2013 CTSV coupe 11.79 @ 119.7

goblues38

I just know it costs me $80 to change the oil on both cars with Mobil 1 and filters.

So glad I am not paying the $100 a car the shop wants to do it for me with synthetic.

I guess being a wise man of 42 years, its a chance i am willing to take.
2013 SHO w/pp
     -35% tint
     -relay wired to have parking lights on any time car is running
     -SCTx4 (Torrie Tune)
2014 Explorer Sport

mjhpadi

The best thing you can do to judge when you should do a change is have an analysis of the used oil done.  Blackstone Labs only charges 25 bucks and provides the kit to collect the sample and mail it to them. Regardless of what oil and filter you chose to use, the analysis will give you a great idea of what's going on and what your change interval should be...I know it was a great help for me.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

SwampRat

Quote from: IHeartGroceries on April 11, 2014, 03:36:23 PM

I can't remember exactly but on the 13+  plus you need to be in park running  or off in accesory mode  . In the far left area of gage panel is the drivers information cluster . You then  go through the menu  options that are controlled by the steering wheel buttons . I can't renember he exact sequence but it's not to hard to figure out .

I change mine about every 5000 miles or so , just because of the peace of mind thing . Yes you can go longer BUT I would say it's safe to say  the driving
" habits " of a lot of the members  on this forum puts us in the severe duty catagory , myself included .

Mobile 1 Extended Service claims 15000 between Oil changes even on Turbo motors ...... 
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

mjhpadi

Quote from: goblues38 on April 11, 2014, 04:14:46 PM
I just know it costs me $80 to change the oil on both cars with Mobil 1 and filters.

So glad I am not paying the $100 a car the shop wants to do it for me with synthetic.

I guess being a wise man of 42 years, its a chance i am willing to take.

With you on this one, it's an inexpensive price to know that you have clean fluids.  Just as a point of reference, I've been using Mobil One in our Explorer since the first oil change and we've never had an oil related problem...as a matter of fact, never had an oil related problem in any vehicle that I used Mobil One for the oil.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

IHeartGroceries

Quote from: mjhpadi on April 11, 2014, 04:24:53 PM
The best thing you can do to judge when you should do a change is have an analysis of the used oil done.  Blackstone Labs only charges 25 bucks and provides the kit to collect the sample and mail it to them. Regardless of what oil and filter you chose to use, the analysis will give you a great idea of what's going on and what your change interval should be...I know it was a great help for me.

Bingo. It removes any question about interval, especially once you've nailed the right oil and filtration.

Quote from: SwampRat on April 11, 2014, 04:54:27 PM
Quote from: IHeartGroceries on April 11, 2014, 03:36:23 PM

I can't remember exactly but on the 13+  plus you need to be in park running  or off in accesory mode  . In the far left area of guage panel is the drivers information cluster . You then  go through the menu  options that are controlled by the steering wheel buttons . I can't renember he exact sequence but it's not to hard to figure out .

I change mine about every 5000 miles or so , just because of the piece of mind thing . Yes you can go longer BUT I would safe its safe to say our driving " habits on this forum puts us in the severe duty catagory ,

Mobile 1 Extended Service claims 15000 between Oil changes even on Turbo motors ......

Thanks! I'll check it out.

And speaking of SOPUS, and Pennzoil, they've got a relatively new (as of this year) syn engine oil out - Platinum w/ Pure Plus. Really looks like promising stuff. I work for Shell in distribution (petrol), and even though there's a large divide between lubes and my end, they've been hustling the stuff pretty heavily across SOPUS. They're very excited about it and consider it a big stride for lubes and for the company in general.

I'm not attempting to advertise here. Hell, I'm running Castrol in my wife's car, Mobil in my Neon and Motul, in my SHO, (Pennzoil in my pickup :)) but once my reserves dry up, I'm swapping to this stuff. I encourage all of you interested in performance lubes to check it out. There's a great Q&A on Pennzoil's blog on bobtheoilguy (BTOG). Check it out!

Plug aside, move along.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
2013 SHO PP

BiGMaC

I personally would never, and have never, gone more than 5k miles on a change.  I also believe that synthetics are better, but will admit that, IMHO, the preponderance of evidence is that it is not superior.

The price for clean oil/fluids is much cheaper than a major rebuild or significant performance loss due to scoring of parts.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock