• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

10K Oil Change Interval??!!

Started by SHO-Pa, April 11, 2014, 03:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BiGMaC

Also the car knows more than we can about the oil functional life per two service reps at my dealership.  It monitors six parameters about your oil to tell you when it needs a change... My first change was at 1800 miles when my light came on telling me to... BTW, hasn't come on since... I have 8k miles and last change was at 7k

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHO-Pa

Good thoughts guys! I use Blackstone Labs and will pull a sample when I change it out this weekend. I'll see what they say. I generally agree with the longer intervals with Mobil 1, however the SHO has Motorcraft semi-syn in it at the moment. I'm not sure how that holds up in comparison.

Interestingly enough, I ran samples on my Expedition (with Mobil 1) and our Honda (conventional oil) and the Mobil 1 had as much additives in it at 5000 miles as the conventional did at about 3000. Blackstone said I could get 7500 out of Mobil 1 in the Expy with a 5.4, but that's not cooling two turbos.

I really like Blackstone because "they don't have a horse in the race" so to speak.

I'll sample the oil this weekend and see what they say. Maybe this is much ado about nothing.
2011 SHO - stock
2016 Explorer XLT 2.3L "4wd"
2018 Focus Titanium

mjhpadi

I was doing 3K changes using Royal Purple oil and filters, but they convinced me to go longer, so I'm going to 5K...but I really can't ever see myself going longer than that...old habits die hard.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

SHOdded

Instructions starting on pg. 116 of the 2013 OM (you will need to go into the Settings -> Oil Life Reset area & set %age):

Information Display Controls (Type 2)
• Press the up and down arrow buttons to scroll through and highlight the options within a menu.
• Press the right arrow button to enter a sub-menu.
• Press the left arrow button to exit a menu.
• Press the OK button to choose and confirm a setting/messages.

Main menu
From the main menu bar on the left side of the information display, you can choose from the following categories:

• Display Mode
  • Trip 1 & 2
  • Fuel Economy
  • Settings
  • Information
Scroll up/down to highlight one of the categories, then press the right arrow key or OK to enter into that category. Press the left arrow key as needed to exit back to the main menu.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHO-Pa

Quote from: mjhpadi on April 11, 2014, 09:08:39 PM
I was doing 3K changes using Royal Purple oil and filters, but they convinced me to go longer, so I'm going to 5K...but I really can't ever see myself going longer than that...old habits die hard.

I had the oil tested from my 5.4L Expedition and it had plenty of additives left. Blackstone said I could go to 7500 and have it tested again. I'm doing Mobil 1 at 5000.

As a side note, changed the oil in the SHO today and checked over the receipts from the previous change. If the receipt is right, they put 5W20 instead of 5W30. Good thing it was so cold this winter.... At least now I know it has the correct weight.
2011 SHO - stock
2018 Focus Titanium

SHODYOU

Agreed... I use 5/30 Red Line oil with motorcraft filter and change it at 5-6k... I know I can go longer but I just can't bring myself to it. At least I know I keep great oil in it and if it ever gets pushed back some, like it did this winter (work travel and crap weather), I know I'm good still.
2011 SHO - Tux Blk/blk int, 402B, acc, nav, multicontour, 20s. LMS 4X MyCal, 3bar MAP, K&N Typhoon, 170* t-stat, SP534's @ 30, Stainless Works catless DPs, Corsa catback, H&R sports, 5/16 front-7/16 rear spacer, 255/35 Hankook V12s, Lamin-X/PlastiDip

2004 Mustang GT - Comp Orange, Boss block/3.80 stroker 327", Foxlake TFS', Hellion turbo, blah blah

goblues38

so I'm going to 5K...but I really can't ever see myself going longer than that...old habits die hard.

I think that sums it up.  Having the 3 month or 3 k drilled into our heads for so long.

I am in a technology field.  Could you imagine 400hp out of a v6 even 20 years ago?  Point is things change. I am going with, oil technology and motor technology have changed together to make 10k intervals safe.
2013 SHO w/pp
     -35% tint
     -relay wired to have parking lights on any time car is running
     -SCTx4 (Torrie Tune)
2014 Explorer Sport

Needmoreboost

On non-stock boosted applications I firmly believe in the the more is better.  For only $30 bucks @ Ford I cannot do it cheaper myself.  2500-3000 miles tops for me.  Then again Im lucky to even put more than 6000 per year mileage on her...lol.
2014 Mustang GT/CS: white
Auto with custom Unleashed Tuning
Past honorable mentions: 13 SHO, 08 SRT4, 07 350Z, 03 Cobra, 03 Focus SVT, 00 GT Mustang, 91 LX Notch, etc.

SHO-Pa

I got the results back from Blackstone Labs. Much to my surprise (and I mean MUCH SURPRISE based on the smell and look of the drained oil) they said the additives and viscosity were still good enough to run to about 7000 miles. This was with Motorcraft blend so I would think you could reasonably expect 10000 miles from Mobil 1 EP and a good filter.

Very surprising results. I'll see if I can post the report in the next couple days.
2011 SHO - stock
2018 Focus Titanium

BiGMaC

SHO-pa... excellent information.... can you tell us about the use of the car?.... how much racing?, how much idling, city miles vs highway miles?... etc.... just trying to get a feel for that.   Anxious to see your Blackstone report.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

SHO-Pa

I guess its "normal" commuting driving with a couple long trips from PA to Massachusetts in this interval. I don't race it, I treat it like a normal car although I am particular about maintenance and such. You can only go so fast in the AM commute....

The oil change was done in October and I took a sample when I swapped it out last week. Blackstone was really speedy with the testing. If you go to their website there's an explanation of the additives and such.

The test results are attached (I hope). 10000 mile intervals make me nervous. Maybe I'll run this oil and test it at 7500 and see where it is then.
2011 SHO - stock
2018 Focus Titanium

BiGMaC

Quote from: SHO-Pa on April 17, 2014, 11:29:48 AM
I guess its "normal" commuting driving with a couple long trips from PA to Massachusetts in this interval. I don't race it, I treat it like a normal car although I am particular about maintenance and such. You can only go so fast in the AM commute....

The oil change was done in October and I took a sample when I swapped it out last week. Blackstone was really speedy with the testing. If you go to their website there's an explanation of the additives and such.

The test results are attached (I hope). 10000 mile intervals make me nervous. Maybe I'll run this oil and test it at 7500 and see where it is then.

Same concerns... besides I bought ESP Care plus... so for another 67K miles the dealer will do full syn every 5K miles for nothing.... They picked the interval and will do it sooner if the car says to... My first oil change was at 1800 miles when the car put up a dialog box telling me to change it.   Just trying to see if I can bring myself to change old habits.

SHOdded

Getting the oil analyzed (a couple of oil changes) and matching it up with what your OLM says is probably the most "logical" approach.  If you decide to then change the brand/weight of oil, may have to do this all over again.  If you want peace of mind and are going for a 10K OCI, change your filter at 5K.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

IHeartGroceries

Still need to mail my sample in for UOA.
But, perhaps I'll be surprised too - my spent oil seemed to reek of gasoline.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

SHO-Pa

Quote from: IHeartGroceries on April 17, 2014, 05:21:34 PM
Still need to mail my sample in for UOA.
But, perhaps I'll be surprised too - my spent oil seemed to reek of gasoline.

So did mine. I was very surprised at the results. I expected to see "Good thing you changed the oil!" not "Its good for another 2k."

Post your results when you can. It will be interesting to develop a baseline.

2011 SHO - stock
2018 Focus Titanium