• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Spark Plug questions

Started by FracaSHO, January 24, 2014, 01:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kolk1

I'll take full body pics of them tonight.

None of them were loose, None of them were stuck. All of them seemed to be torqued properly still. 

curry67

Just got my plugs replaced with sp534 I tried to get the old ones but they threw them out. Feels smoother at start up and idle. Also seems to respond more confidently. Needed to get done they did charge me 300 for it though.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

DJE624

EEK!  I'm gonna call my shop tomorrow to see how much.  Then maybe bug another guy here to help me.

curry67

Yeah I have a check rear park aid on my dash. They check it out 950 to replace 2 of the sensors. I assumed it was covered under ESP warranty but apparently not.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

68_GT

I pulled my plugs and regapped them and reinstelled them in about an hour. It's super easy save your money !
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

DJE624

Has anyone figured out the difference between the 528 and 534?

navbtcret

Quote from: 68_GT on January 27, 2014, 07:18:27 PM
I pulled my plugs and regapped them and reinstelled them in about an hour. It's super easy save your money !

My thoughts exactly, there is really only one plug that is kind of a pain to get at but not that hard, save your money and replace them yourselves.
2013 SHO Non PP, LMS 93 Performance v8, 3 Bar MAP, 170 Stat, MDesign CAI, Hot Pipes with TiAL BOV, PPE Catted Downpipes

QuickSilver

Keep in mind for the spark to jump the gap of the plug, the center electrode or the wire HAS TO loose a tiny bit of itself. Microscopic yes but it adds up over millions of cycles. This process is easiest for the ignition system when ther are sharp edges on the electrode or wire, heck we used tonfile them or cut the end of the wire off with snips... I suppose its all relative tho, did you know that a top fuel dragster completly 'uses up' its plugs before the motor even turns over 1000 revolutions!!??
AJ

2014 Ingot Silver Explorer Sport- LMS V3 Tune, AirRaid CAI, Hi_flow Catted DP's to Complete dual 2.5" exhaust, 19"X 9.5"TSW Panorama Rotary Forged/powdercoated Rims, Cree LED Foglights, Hoping for those Megan coilovers to be developed...

DJE624

Quote from: QuickSilver on January 27, 2014, 08:22:02 PMdid you know that a top fuel dragster completly 'uses up' its plugs before the motor even turns over 1000 revolutions!!??

How could that be?  It wouldn't even start.

SHOdded

It would start, but plugs would get used up in every run, since the entire process would last only a few seconds.  If I understand the math.  :clown:
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

futat2

once the dragsters get started and heat up, i don't believe the plugs matter anymore.

*Edit, found info;* 
Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug.  This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass.  After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F.  The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.
2013 SHO PP, Sparkly Black
bone stock (for now)
Got the windows tinted, 15% all around

crash712us

$300 I'll quit my job and change plugs for a living. By 68 chargers plugs where harder to change. All kidding aside, someone needs to put together a well detailed how to on this. Anyone could do this, with some simple tools.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

SoCalSHO

I think the hard part is removing the hoses/tubes and wires in the back. Or I would have attempted it my self. I have the torque wrench, just need to know what other things I would need to make it easier.
Robert
2010 Met White
GH tuned, 3 Bar, upgraded turbos, 91 Oct
K&N drop-in or airaid, Corsa Cat-back
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

IHeartGroceries

I just ordered some plugs. I don't mind documenting the procedure with some photos, and formulating a brief how-to. Surprised one doesn't exist already, though...

But when will I find the time? That's the mirron dorrah question.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

JMR76

They are easy compared to other vehicles.  I was driving my father nuts doing them without any extra light. 
2013 SHO - PP/ GH Intercooler / 170*TS / Cold .026 plugs / MSD Coils / Corsa cat-back / PPE Catted Downpipes / Xtreme-DI XDI-EO HPFP / E 30+ / Gear Head Tuned.