• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Spark Plug questions

Started by FracaSHO, January 24, 2014, 01:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kolk1

Hard to get a good pic, but this is probably one of the better plugs I took out. lol

Also, I think I might of had a little bit of knock or something with the old plugs that was pulling timing or something. My boost gauge is showing im doing about 1-1.5lbs more boost now. lol

DJE624

Good job on the swap.  I'm looking forward to getting my gaps in order. 

BiGMaC

Quote from: Kolk1 on January 26, 2014, 07:03:11 PM
Hard to get a good pic, but this is probably one of the better plugs I took out. lol

Also, I think I might of had a little bit of knock or something with the old plugs that was pulling timing or something. My boost gauge is showing im doing about 1-1.5lbs more boost now. lol

Makes me think you were getting knock (or at least the potential) as timing advanced and the ECM was controlling the boost, etc. to protect your engine.

The new plugs were definitely a good move judging by the pic!... I'll have to get it on my list of "do a lot sooner than recommended, like the rear drive/PTU oil... LOL 

Why do you think the threads were burnished so far up the plug body?

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Kolk1

Not sure, they all looked the same. Plug gap was the only variant.

I plan to have my PTU, rearend and so on, pretty soon as well.

mjhpadi

So now that you changed the plugs would you recommend using dielectric grease on the boots and plug connectors?
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

navbtcret

Quote from: mjhpadi on January 27, 2014, 02:13:08 AM
So now that you changed the plugs would you recommend using dielectric grease on the boots and plug connectors?

I always put some dielectric grease in the boot every time I change plug. I also put a little anti seize on the threads of the plugs. Living in the northwest where we get crappy winters and a lot of salt on the roads I put anti seize on every bolt I take out of any vehicle prior to putting it back on.
2013 SHO Non PP, LMS 93 Performance v8, 3 Bar MAP, 170 Stat, MDesign CAI, Hot Pipes with TiAL BOV, PPE Catted Downpipes

Kolk1

I did anti seize on the spark plugs, since I always have some laying around. But I didn't do any dielectric grease.

QuickSilver

Ive owned dozens of turbo cars (like  more than 50) and one constant Ive found that regardless of the make/model is that they 'eat plugs'. It seems to depend on the 'severity' of the tune and amount of boost. In my 2.2l Mopar track car if the plugs last 3K miles Im surprised 8) Street car at 16PSI of boost or less, 15K miles is when I check/change them. 60K miles you went? Not sure if we should congratulate you or dunn you for not doing em sooner ;) Were any of them loose or have combustion 'tracing' up the side of the body?
AJ

2014 Ingot Silver Explorer Sport- LMS V3 Tune, AirRaid CAI, Hi_flow Catted DP's to Complete dual 2.5" exhaust, 19"X 9.5"TSW Panorama Rotary Forged/powdercoated Rims, Cree LED Foglights, Hoping for those Megan coilovers to be developed...

BiGMaC

Quote from: QuickSilver on January 27, 2014, 11:43:39 AM
Ive owned dozens of turbo cars (like  more than 50) and one constant Ive found that regardless of the make/model is that they 'eat plugs'. It seems to depend on the 'severity' of the tune and amount of boost. In my 2.2l Mopar track car if the plugs last 3K miles Im surprised 8) Street car at 16PSI of boost or less, 15K miles is when I check/change them. 60K miles you went? Not sure if we should congratulate you or dunn you for not doing em sooner ;) Were any of them loose or have combustion 'tracing' up the side of the body?

Interesting observation and VERY short electrode life.... wonder if anyone can weigh in and explain why this would occur in turbo'd vehicles.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

SRT82ECOBOOST

I think I am going make changing the plugs every 15,000 miles part of my maintenance program.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

Night Hawk

I did mine at 50k went with the upgraded 528s, prepping for another set with my tune upgrade and downpipes at (dare I say it) 100k!  If you're drag racing or autocrossing I HIGHLY recommend changing the PTU fluid in the front annually.
2017 Fusion Sport
GFB DivValve/165* Thermo
K&N Panel/CFM Breather
Ult Perf Int Garrett Core/MKZ oil cooler
FMS 70mm TB/ NGK .026/LMS V6 93

SRT82ECOBOOST

Quote from: Night Hawk on January 27, 2014, 12:54:49 PM
I did mine at 50k went with the upgraded 528s, prepping for another set with my tune upgrade and downpipes at (dare I say it) 100k!  If you're drag racing or autocrossing I HIGHLY recommend changing the PTU fluid in the front annually.
What is the PTU? Cost for the fluids?
Sorry to the OP for the mild threadjack.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

Night Hawk

Fancy name for the front diff, if you do a search there are a few threads on it.  If you need info shoot me a pm.
2017 Fusion Sport
GFB DivValve/165* Thermo
K&N Panel/CFM Breather

BiGMaC

Quote from: Night Hawk on January 27, 2014, 12:54:49 PM
I did mine at 50k went with the upgraded 528s

What condition were the electrodes at 50K miles?

Night Hawk

Pretty worn down seems the newer rev are the fine wire type similar to what I had in my 03 Cobra
2017 Fusion Sport
GFB DivValve/165* Thermo
K&N Panel/CFM Breather