• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

OEM Turbo Failure, Very Low Miles

Started by RandR10, December 22, 2016, 03:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSHO

That's a big sigh of relief to say the least and glad you were able to get it all done without any major drawbacks,best of luck for the upcoming 2017 New years my friend,enjoy. Z  :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

RandR10

Thanks ZSHO.  Hope you have a great one as well.
2011 Ford Flex Limited Ecoboost

SHOdded

Hope 2017+ is kind to you and your Flex.  Even if they are troublefree miles, don't forget to chime in here periodically :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MiWiAu

Quote from: RandR10 on December 31, 2016, 07:25:55 PM
And then it occurred to me.  I thought maybe the UPR catch can check valve doesn't have enough flow to keep up with the blowby, so in an act of desperation, I took it off and put the stock PCV hoses back on.  Put my hand over the oil fill, no pressure build like before.

Glad you got your issue resolved. :)

I was wondering where you had this check valve installed, and in what direction it was allowing flow?

When you experienced all this white smoke, did you have a cleanside separator in service with your can or did you leave the OE clean side tubing installed to the intake piping?

Also, if you sucked a quart of oil through your turbos, may want to consider pulling your intake piping, charge pipes, TB, and TIP/MAP sensors for cleaning as well as cleaning the CAC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

MiWiAu

I went back and looked at your OCC install thread and reviewed it again. Did you install additional check valve(s) from what was shown in that F150 schematic?

Also, it looks like you did have a CSS in place at one time, and if you remove the CSS element from the oil fill hole and plug it with your hand, you will definitely create a vacuum there if the OE clean side port is capped, since you removed the possibility of fresh air entering through the CSS. ;)

2013 XSport

RandR10

Air rushed out, not in.  It was building pressure in the crank case.  At idle the intake manifold is in a vacuum state and should create a vacuum through the PCV valve if you plug the clean side like I did.  It was working, but not enough to cope with the amount of blowby my engine has.  The orifice was too small for that.

And yes, I installed a second check valve in the tubing that runs between the CSS tee and the can, making it identical in design to the F150 kit they sell, albeit with a smaller volume can of course.  The manifold check valve was installed with flow toward the manifold.  The clean side check valve was installed so that it would flow only toward the WOT port and CSS, then close off when the manifold is generating vacuum.

MiWiAu

Quote from: RandR10 on January 01, 2017, 10:15:25 PM
Air rushed out, not in.  It was building pressure in the crank case.  At idle the intake manifold is in a vacuum state and should create a vacuum through the PCV valve if you plug the clean side like I did.

I have my clean side plugged as well, and at idle, I pull vacuum (inward flow) at my oil fill.

You're talking about the PCV valve on the dirty side, right? There's no PCV valve on the clean side. Agree you're IM is under vacuum at idle, which should draw flow out of the dirty side, but IN the cleanside, which should mean vacuum at your oil fill if your OE cleanside port was capped, correct?

I guess I'm still confused why there seems to be air rushing out of the oil fill at idle. I guess this makes even more sense as to why oil might have been getting pushed out the CSS toward the WOT port when under boost.

Quote from: RandR10 on January 01, 2017, 10:15:25 PM
The clean side check valve was installed so that it would flow only toward the WOT port and CSS, then close off when the manifold is generating vacuum.

Hmm... this seems backwards to me. The cleanside should pull fresh air in under normal operation.

With the CSS check valve installed allowing flow towards the WOT port, I can see how oil could get drawn in to the intake.

If I'm interpreting your information correctly, it seems like something is amiss. Maybe you or someone else can give me a sanity check.

2013 XSport

RandR10

"You're talking about the PCV valve on the dirty side, right?  There's no PCV valve on the clean side. Agree you're IM is under vacuum at idle, which should draw flow out of the dirty side, but IN the cleanside, which should mean vacuum at your oil fill if your OE cleanside port was capped, correct?"

Yes, I'm talking about the OEM PCV valve on top of the oil separator on the other side of the engine from the oil fill.  I never said anything about relocating it, did I?  That part was never modified, and in fact every single part of that is brand new dealer-sourced stuff.  The original clean side port had a cap on it from the catch can kit as well because it was replaced by the CSS.  I agree, I should get vacuum at idle in the crankcase if the PCV valve (again, on the other side of the engine) is doing its job.  With the catch can installed, it was not.  It was bad enough that after a few seconds it built up pressure in the crank case and a little air would blow out when I took my hand off.

"I guess I'm still confused why there seems to be air rushing out of the oil fill at idle.  I guess this makes even more sense as to why oil might have been getting pushed out the CSS toward the WOT port when under boost."

There's no oil coming out of the CSS at WOT.  It's blowing past the turbo seals, most likely at non-boost conditions, because if the crank case is pressurized, the oil will not drain back into the pan properly.

"If I'm interpreting your information correctly, it seems like something is amiss. Maybe you or someone else can give me a sanity check."

Yes, something is in fact amiss.  My engine has 130k miles on it, much of them in hundred degree weather in the desert summers of Southern California.  As a result, it's got worn rings and a decent amount of blow by.  However, the original PCV valve and hose were still able to cope with this condition.  The check valve in the catch can kit was not able to cope with this because it is much smaller and will not flow enough volume fast enough.  When I switched back to the OEM hoses, no more pressure in the crank case at idle, and no more oil blowing past the turbo seals.  The mystery is solved.

MiWiAu

Quote from: RandR10 on January 02, 2017, 12:28:30 AM
The mystery is solved.

Cool. I'll stop thinking about it then. ;)

2013 XSport

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: MiWiAu on January 02, 2017, 08:19:58 AM
Quote from: RandR10 on January 02, 2017, 12:28:30 AM
The mystery is solved.

Cool. I'll stop thinking about it then. ;)

You will just move on to something else, lol.