• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

TPMS troubleshooting, and Shooting Myself in the Foot

Started by irondoor19, January 02, 2017, 01:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irondoor19

OK.... So I had the Bright Idea to Use My 20"s from the 2011 Upfitted with Newer
BF Goodrich Comp 2 A/S. Got these From Jegs Installed on the Rims for 790.00 approx.

ON A DIFFERENT Note: I love these tires SO Far, we will See what the Snow Brings

Now the Dreaded Tire Monitor Light is On Steady, along w Tire Sensor Monitor Fault indication,
and after the fact reading about 2010 not Working with 2011, (and so on) have i shot myself in
the foot going this route, or CAN I Get them to work....the car is dated 12-17-09 (from W Sticker) I used the Stock 20" from the 2011, Because i had them powder coated Black, and
i liked the Look...  >:D

Also the Boneheads at Jegs Put one of the directional Tires on "reversed" So i had to bring it
back and get it Strait, (AND got a 48.00 Credit) for that move, and the 3 New Ones plus the one
original on the car, worked (with no Tire Fault Indication) so my first Guess is that they may
have screwed up that TPMS sensor on that wheel (only).. I will check that first by Swapping out
the Suspected Tire Wheel and See what happens.  Does anyone Do quality Work any more..?
2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,

SHOdded

Probably just needs to be a] driven far enough at high enough speeds, and/or b] be trained by a professional tool i.e. such as found at your local tire shop/Ford dealer.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MiWiAu

Did the 2011 20" wheels have the  same type of TPMS (banded vs snap-in) as your OE wheels? In trying to troubleshoot my TPMS issues, I have read that they are not interchangeable with one another and sensors compatible with the BCM must be used.

I'm going to try a tire shop with a fancy programmer to see if they can activate mine. Some sensors apparently require a 125khz signal to wake from long term sleep/shipping mode. Not so sure the Ford sensors fit into this category, since I found no mention of this in any of the service documentation.

Per service documentation, standard wake up time for the snap in Ford sensors is 2 min at or above 20MPH, and they should stay active for 30 mins once stopped, then they will go to sleep again.

Not sure if this is the same for banded sensors.

EDIT: So re-reading your post, were you able to get 3 of the 4 2011 wheels to program, just the one they had to remount is giving you a fit? If that's the case, the service manual recommends rotating the wheel 1/4 turn and trying to reprogram. Evidently, sometimes the signal can be blocked, and a partial rotation may clear the signal to allow programming. If that doesn't work, then I would suspect that perhaps the TPMS sensor may have gotten damaged when they reversed the tire, assuming the other 3 are working and are equipped with the same tire.

It could also be that they are just getting old, if they are the original sensors from 2011. I believe the fancy TPMS programmers have the ability to read the battery level. If one is on the way out, then it's quite possible the others are not too far behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport